Most anticipated video game of the fall?

I figured they'd do something like that. That's cool. I still need to pick it up; the release kind of snuck up on me... I found out it was out when I saw friends playing it one night on Live.

I'm pumped about Left 4 Dead for the pc, coming nov. 20th. Everyone should take a look at it.

I believe it's comming to the 360 as well. I don't think they have plans for the PS3 yet. The game certainly looks like a lot of fun to play with friends though.

So how is Force Unleashed? Is the camera as much of a bitch as the reviews have been saying?

So how is Force Unleashed? Is the camera as much of a bitch as the reviews have been saying?

I am really enjoying the game and haven't run into any problems with the camera. I get the feeling that we're in the middle of a notice-me sort of point in the review cycle where all the "professionals" have decided they need the attention/traffic that comes with flakey reviews of AAA titles (Force Unleashed, Spore, etc.).

Yeah I tried to look at as many reviews as possible and most seemed to complain about the camera and the fact that the use of the force is played down by NPCs that have shields, etc that diminish the fun.

Is that a problem or is that just BS?

I would say that's BS -- if anything, the oddity is that the use of things *other than* the Force is diminished. Enemies seem a lot more to resistant to being whacked with a lightsaber than would be "realistic".

It's a lot more of a strategy game than anyone is pointing out, on anything but the lowest difficulty (which is a Diablo hack-and-slash button game)... you're presented with increasingly elaborate rooms full of increasingly powerful bad-guys and you come up with a strategy using your force powers to clear them. You can just wade in and start pushing and electrocuting things, but you'll get killed pretty quickly... so you want to prepare boxes to throw, bend walls to knock TIE fighters places and so forth.

When I hear 'camera problem' I imagine that Tomb Raider-style sometimes-the-camera-is-stuck-where-I-can't-see-it issue that a lot of older games had... and I haven't run into that at all. You seem to have pretty good control over what you're seeing (with the right stick). It even does a good job with a kill camera, where it decides you're safe for a moment and shows you what happened to the stormtrooper you threw into a pit.

Yeah I tried to look at as many reviews as possible and most seemed to complain about the camera and the fact that the use of the force is played down by NPCs that have shields, etc that diminish the fun.

Is that a problem or is that just BS?

It's definitely not a bad game. The game certainly has issues, but the camera isn't one of them. There's a very very rare instance where, when in a cramped room or backed up against a wall the camera is seemingly just over your head which makes it hard to see enemies that are surrounding you to the sides. But again, that's an exception that's rarely ever deadly.

I just talked my wife into pre-ordering me the Survival Edition (Amazon exclusive) of Fallout 3 for my birthday/christmas.

Yes, I am a huge nerd.

Now the bigger question is.....

Wii or Ybox version?

I don't think a Wii port of something is ever the preferred version; it doesn't have HD output, it doesn't have the processing power to do all the physics stuff... it doesn't have achievements, it doesn't have the ability to store updates or DLC...

A Wii can be created easily with objects in the home, provided you have a GameCube.

Step 1) Stand up.
Step 2) Play GameCube while standing.

Nuh huh, they removed the two best features of the GameCube when they made the Wii:

- No giant crazy handle.
- Not cube-shaped.

Other than that, yeah.

(I do really like having the Wii set up without the stand... everybody wonders why I have an old 5.25" disk drive in my entertainment center...)

CYAC was a great game, and one of the first I had for both Mac and PC.

"Remember it's the man, not the machine!"

That was the *third* Chuck Yeager game. Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer I and II preceded it by several years.

I just remember playing the game on an old 386 laptop. Every time I'd 'by the farm,' I'd see this scary image of Yeager's face glaring at me! My enthusiasm for PC gaming all starts there...:cool:

(I was so young at that point that I actually had to ask my father what 'buying a farm' was!)

Back