More Problems with WCP on Windows 2K

jammyo2k

Spaceman
I've just added the Win2k patch for Prophecy and was able to play WCP for the first time in 6 months (yay). Unfortunaely, after just a few seconds of play (but several minutes in the simulator)the program crashes, leaving me with the error message 'The instruction at "0x00436187" referenced memeory at "0x0305fe50". The memory could not be "read" '. The program then terminates. I had the same problem when running the game on my brother's PC with a Voodoo (although he was running windows 98). I could correct that with the normal voodoo patch. The computer I am using at the moment does not have a voodoo (it has an antique 8mb ATI Rage card). I know WCP can run on this system as I used to run the game with Windows 98. If anyone has any ideas about correcting the program I would be grateful.

Yeah. The latest drivers for the card are installed and the game still crashes after a few seconds (immediately during missions and at varying times in the simulator). Would installing the Direct 3d upgrade patch correct the problem?

That only adds a 3D effect to Direct3D mode that you would otherwise only have in Glide mode.

In that case, does anyone have any more ideas about what might be causing the problem? It's driving me crazy to have a little taste of the game but not the whole experience.

i have the same problem

i'm trying to run Prophecy under win 2k as well. I have an S3 Savage 4 video card, with the latest drivers, and directx 8.0. I get the same error message usually when i'm either downloading mission information, or some time right after i start.

Would replacing the graphics card solve the problem? Its pretty ancient anyway. Any suggestions of a cheap card that works well with wing commander and half-life?

I been doing a lot of research on WCP gameplay. I think the problem may be Directx 8.0a. Some games can't play with this version. MS promise to fix this with directx 8.1. I believe that directx 8.1 should be available on August 15th since that is the release date for IE6.

For some reason the beta version of directx 8.1 is no longer available on the net. I have to assume that MS crack down on sites which made it available. I only got the Win9x version so I can't test this out with win2000. The latest beta built is 0648.

There are also some issues between SBLive's LW3 and DirectX 8.0.

Do you Win2000 SP1 install?

[Edited by Johnl12 on 08-05-2001 at 14:53]

I to have the same problems under Windows 2k
(luckly im dule boot ME also, muhahaha)
Im useing a G-force 2 vidio card w/ updated drivers...

I managed to find a site to download the directx 8.1 beta (http://www.abitboy.com/). Unfortunately it does not seem to have corrected the problem.

Decreasing the hardware acceleration to my soundcard seems to help, but the game still crashes after a few minutes in combat (usually during an in-flight comm).

No, I have an aureal card, although it seems to be soundblaster compatible (at least before I upgraded to win 2k).

I'm having trouble with two of my display drivers, SiS and S3Savage 4 drivers, could that be the problem

Whoo! A fellow SiS user! :)

Sorry, just didn't think they were held in high esteem like S3, Nvidia, Voodoo, etc.

Back