More Options Now Available

Shipgate

Rear Admiral
So have you read the news? Who's headed out to get themselves some fully automatic weapons? I'm gonna get me one and climb a clock tower, singing, "Bringing in the sheep, bringing in the sheep...."

wow...you are one sketchy bastard.....

not really sure why anyone would need assault weapons unless they were planning to launch a coup de'tat

Nice of you to buy into the propaganda, Dund.

As the law in question defined "assault weapon", a vast majority of the weapons that were prohibited by the bill were very similar to non-banned guns, with minor things like bayonet lugs (yeah, when's the last time you saw a bayonet charge outside of the movies?), pistol-style grips, and other assorted cosmetic differences that have just about zero effect on functionality. The only real change caused by allowing that law to expire is that there's not going to be as much support for a change of party control of Congress, unlike in 1994 where said ban was a contributing factor to the Republican party regaining a congressional majority.

In case it wasn't obvious, my view on the expiration of the law can be summed up thusly: good riddance to bad rubbish.

Not to mention, many states have their own regional bans on both buying automatic weapons and bringing them over state lines. I live in Connecticut - and anyone who buys, say, a TAC-9 in Maine and brings it back gets a big-ass fine and probable jail time.

Even beyond that - didn't that ban have nothing to do with foreign made assault rifles? I think its still illegal to have an AK-47 or varient in the United States.

Actually...automatic weapons (full auto I mean) are still illegal for anyone who doesn't have a class A license. The ban was really not an issue because it allowed anything that was manufactured prior to 1994 to be "grandfathered" in. Needless to say...who was going to "date" things to find out whether they were pre-1994 or not? Basically the non renewal of the ban just means that the things that you could find already were now made more readily convenient. Nothing much more...yes, I do plan on actually buying another assault rifle or two because I'm sort of a collector. I really hate the uninformed people who think that allowing assault rifles to be purchased is going to drastically increase gun violence, that's pathetic. Some people collect stamps, some collect cars, I collect a few guns. They fire like the glory of God and are impressive pieces in their own right. I'm glad that they didn't renew the ban because now the prices should finally come down a little bit.

Dundradal said:
wow...you are one sketchy bastard.....

not really sure why anyone would need assault weapons unless they were planning to launch a coup de'tat

For a collection or in case of hostile invasion, terrorist attack, alien invasion (I'm just including this for completeness), Nuclear war followed by the rise of bandits, slavers, escaped violent mental patients or criminals, armies of wannbe world-conquerer nutjobs and/or the ever popular army of machines that want to exterminate mankind, and the eternal possiblity of our government turning into a tyranny.

Is there anything I forgot?

RogueBanshee said:
For a collection or in case of hostile invasion, terrorist attack, alien invasion (I'm just including this for completeness), Nuclear war followed by the rise of bandits, slavers, escaped violent mental patients or criminals, armies of wannbe world-conquerer nutjobs and/or the ever popular army of machines that want to exterminate mankind, and the eternal possiblity of our government turning into a tyranny.

Is there anything I forgot?

Sure.

The simplest, most pragmatic and honest reason:

They're damned fun to shoot with.

I still can't buy what I want to get...

g36c.jpg

Hello, beautiful. :)

Also, the FN P-90 has been calling my name for sometime. I don't care if it IS from Belgium...a national gaurd recruiter told me they were really innaccurate though. Primarily an air force weapon.

Back