Moray,Devil Ray,Manta,Skate, What's next?

Instead of a kamikaze per say, I'm envisioning a CSM with programming and maneuvering capabilities beyond "fly in a straight line toward the target".

Although for some reason in universe, I expect CSMs to do a bit more than that anyways. Even Confed's ground attack munitions in End Run can link together to coordinate attacks on a number of targets. Imagine if CSMs in game linked together to coordinate attacks, approached from a multitude of different vectors, took evasive action, had a few countermeasures, etc. They might even be dangerous.

Instead of a kamikaze per say, I'm envisioning a CSM with programming and maneuvering capabilities beyond "fly in a straight line toward the target".

Although for some reason in universe, I expect CSMs to do a bit more than that anyways. Even Confed's ground attack munitions in End Run can link together to coordinate attacks on a number of targets. Imagine if CSMs in game linked together to coordinate attacks, approached from a multitude of different vectors, took evasive action, had a few countermeasures, etc. They might even be dangerous.

I think the generally high speed of CSM's make them dangerous enough in their own right. They make for such difficult pursuit curves, if you miss one and don't have any missiles handy it's an end-game scenario. Even a Wasp flying on full afterburner loses ground to one of those things.

You have to pick them up at good range, and then scramble just about everything you've got to go after them in waves.

I would point out, the Midway doesn't seem to detect the CSM's in WCP until they are only about two minutes away. Given the size of the Midway, and the Size of Space, that's ridiculously close. And the one time in WCP we see them launched at the ship, they're launched while there's an asteroid belt between the launching ship and the Midway, giving them an additional level of cover, and a group of fighters has been sent out enough in advance to tangle with the interceptors scrambled to defend against the CSM. I've never played the game on Nightmare mode, but I'd imagine that mission must be pretty difficult with so many bugs swarming around.

As it is, I usually have to use one or two of my missiles to nail one or two CSM's that slip past me while I'm shooting the others down with my guns.

CSMs are an oddity - one of those weapons that was originally supposed to be so old that it wasn't used much anymore... and then the Nephilim had essentially the same thing much later.

CSMs are an oddity - one of those weapons that was originally supposed to be so old that it wasn't used much anymore... and then the Nephilim had essentially the same thing much later.

But with a weapon along the lines of a "capital ship missile", there are any number of ways to increase their effectiveness and prolong their useful life. Look at the Skipper as a simple example.

Above and beyond that, just because humans find CSMs less than useful has no bearing on how the bugs rate their utility.

Well the term CSM (and the concept) could be generic, such as "ballistic missile."

If their not used anymore, why does Midway have a set? I seem to remember that they would be used as a decoy to draw fighters from the Tiamat.

My understanding is that capship missiles are meant for when you need a much bigger boom than torpedoes can provide.

If I'm not mistaken, those were training missiles.

Yes, that's what Blair said. But when you look at their ID it is a CSM. Also, if you have it, WCPEdit calls the picture thing for the missle, Confed Cap-Miss. Their's also Alien Cap-Miss.

Yes, that's what Blair said. But when you look at their ID it is a CSM. Also, if you have it, WCPEdit calls the picture thing for the missle, Confed Cap-Miss. Their's also Alien Cap-Miss.

It's extremely likely they did that to associate the target with the model. This seems to be the norm. Additionally, object-type models like that (Non-Fighters, Non-Capships) such as the Jump Bouy aren't re-nameable in the vision engine, so they display the same name as the ship and mesh.

I'm a little confused, because I can't seem to edit my above post.

I just wanted to say - the limits on the Vision Engine mean you can only have 55 ship types in the Engine at a time. Given that all the ship types are used in WCP, there wasn't room to have a seperate ship named "Training Missile". Given those circumstances, using the same ship again just makes sense.

I'm a little confused, because I can't seem to edit my above post.

Editing is time-limited, though I forget the length of time editing is still open, off the top of my head.

(Too lazy to open up the admin CP to check. :p )

I just wanted to say - the limits on the Vision Engine mean you can only have 55 ship types in the Engine at a time. Given that all the ship types are used in WCP, there wasn't room to have a seperate ship named "Training Missile". Given those circumstances, using the same ship again just makes sense.

You're putting the horse before the cart - don't forget that the engine was *built* for Wing Commander Prophecy and not vice versa.

... but yes, the missiles fired by the Midway are "training missiles" per the dialogue and not offensive weapons like those seen in Wing Commander III and IV. A variation on the same concept, but with different purposes...

Back