Moonbase Alpha

I played it for 15 minutes then uninstalled it. I'm glad someone is enjoying the turd my tax dollars paid for though!

I'm holding out for the tax-funded IRS game. Here's to auditing hapless computer AI!

of all the things we get our tax dollars spent upon.. this is the one that offends you?

gee.. it's terrible that NASA is trying to get people excited about the moon again.

of all the things we get our tax dollars spent upon.. this is the one that offends you?

It's the one that this specific thread is about.

gee.. it's terrible that NASA is trying to get people excited about the moon again.

I know exactly what the purpose of the project was. That's why I tried it in the first place. I wasn't excited.

It's clear they spent less on the project than they do on bottled water for their paper pushers, so I'm not about to write a letter to my representatives asking for a refund. But that is precisely the problem. When I played it I didn't feel like they wanted me to be excited about the moon or the space program. It feels like they saw the Army had three games and wanted to have one, too.

So like I said... eagerly awaiting the IRS game.

Funny this was mentioned, i just got a key to play it, will downloand and try today...looks cool...anyone try "SpaceStation Sim"?

names and links

Could you name the 3 army games? And is "Moonbase Alpha" the gane of the NASA one?

Any chance for some links? Would like to take look.

That's just their primary objective. Publishing stupid video games is also on the list somewhere.

As far as I know Moonbase Alpha should only be kind of an appetizer for the upcoming NASA-MMO Astronaut: Moon, Mars and Beyond.

That's just their primary objective. Publishing stupid video games is also on the list somewhere.

I don't think there is a primary objective. The National Aeronautics and Space Act of 1958, which created the agency, gives three purposes (five, today). Making a video game is the third one: "provide for the widest practicable and appropriate dissemination of information concerning its activities and the results thereof."

We like the moon, any coupon works.

I'm willing to bet that these games end up being incredibly cost-effective. America's Army became a brand name that is now being heavily marketed--with licensors paying the Army to do everything from console games to action figures.

“When I became the NASA administrator, [Obama] charged me with three things. One, he wanted me to help re-inspire children to want to get into science and math; he wanted me to expand our international relationships; and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math, and engineering.”
So it's only perhaps NASA's primary objective, according to Charles Bolden.

I'm not opposed to the idea of NASA producing a video game, but I think it should be a good one. The reason America's Army was a good idea is because it was a badass game. In terms of building the Army brand it worked flawlessly.

Moonbase Alpha is no America's Army, not least because while America's Army involved players doing things that soldiers routinely do; NASA is never going to send another astronaut to the moon - or anyplace else, for that matter.

Moonbase Alpha is no America's Army, not least because while America's Army involved players doing things that soldiers routinely do; NASA is never going to send another astronaut to the moon - or anyplace else, for that matter.

I would guess that NASA is about as likely to send another man to the moon as the Army is likely to be sent to fight a war where soldiers are allowed to shoot people.

I would guess that NASA is about as likely to send another man to the moon as the Army is likely to be sent to fight a war where soldiers are allowed to shoot people.

I would like to see a cost-effective measure where we combine both these ideas into a single event strategy.

Back for the first game they had a real army helicopter fly over E3 in LA and drop soldiers out the sides onto an America's Army display. I wonder if that's in the game.

As far as I know Moonbase Alpha should only be kind of an appetizer for the upcoming NASA-MMO Astronaut: Moon, Mars and Beyond.

Just our luck. After EA acquires NASA, their game will be further along and bump out the new Wing Commander MMO.

So nobody has anything interesting to say about the game itself?

I think playing the game without a time limit isn’t too much fun since there is no way to lose and no reason to try to work quickly.

Since I had absolutely no idea what to expect from a game made by NASA (other than the fact that we wouldn’t be fighting a bloody war to conquer the moon or anything like that.) there wasn’t much chance of me being disappointed. If anyone was expecting something like Half-Life or Wing Commander though I can see how they wouldn’t be very happy with it.

It feels like it was intended to be a multiplayer game even though it is possible to play by yourself. Which makes sense if it really is just an appetizer for a MMO game.

If anyone was expecting something like Half-Life or Wing Commander though I can see how they wouldn’t be very happy with it.

In the case of myself and those I've spoken to, we're unhappy with it for reasons that could be seen as the exact opposite of your example.

If you like it, great! Bonus points! Keep liking it. Find friends that like it and play co-op with them.

But you'll have to excuse me though while I grumble about how I couldn't go on a safari in my space moon buggy around the entirety of the moon looking for dubious rocks, craters that look like the virgin Marry, and misplaced clones of myself.

Back