Modifying the AI ?

H

HohesHaus

Is there a way to modify the AI ? It realy sucks when a BOMBER stays on the tail of my fighter with a distance from 300 meters ... omg in prophercy or other WCs you could ever get behind your enemy, becaus they flow an attack and then flew away for round about 1000 meters or something like that, so you got the chance to counter attack.

Is there a way to modifying the AI in this direction so its more ... playable?

Yes, admittedly the AI is terrible. The AI will never be something you can script directly. But if you're an extremely talented and experienced professional-grade programmer, you're welcome to rewrite the AI, send me a patch. Otherwise, yes I know it's a problem, and it's on my long list of tasks to do, which you can read here.

Also, please cut out the crude language here.

Eddie, have you looked at any AI middleware out there? I haven't done any research in this area, but if all those different physics middleware thingies (Ageia, Havoc, etc.) are available for free for non-commercial purposes, you may be able to find an AI middleware package free of charge too.

Eddie, have you looked at any AI middleware out there? I haven't done any research in this area, but if all those different physics middleware thingies (Ageia, Havoc, etc.) are available for free for non-commercial purposes, you may be able to find an AI middleware package free of charge too.

Quarto: Hmm, I've got the physics (collision detection and response) mostly down. But here's a sketch of where I'm going.

First, detect the situation. Am I being chased, is a missile after me, am I attacking a capship, am I damaged, etc. What situation I am in.

Then, based on some weighted score, pick which maneuver to use. The maneuvers in Prophecy and some thoughts are here.
A big problem is defining what these maneuvers look like. And when is a good time strategically to use them. That's something I wish someone in the community could help with. Just drawing the maneuvers on paper.

Now the parts that will be scriptable are things like, add to attack list, add to defend list, add to ignore list... things for chosing targets. Or things like dock to.

I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Suggestion

Just a suggestion: There are some freeware games out there that provide the source code. Perhaps you can use those sources as a starting point. I know Homeworld code is free (http://www.homeworldsdl.org/) so it should be a good idea to check it out. The same for Vegastrike (i dont know if they were written in C).

Any news on a update to 1.5.1 or 1.6?

Back