Model Sets

Which set of color 3D printed models would you like to see next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Klavs81

Rear Admiral
Now that the WC1 Confed ship prints are posted, I have a question for the community.

I will put my own spin on the designs as you've seen before and make them available to the community as 3D prints. WC3/4 Designs will be closer to cannon as you're used to seeing them.

I'm working for you. You guys tell me what you want! Or make your own suggestions!

The winners get my skull sweat!

Seems to me like the best bet would be to go with the WC1 Cat ships next - the "Rostov Furball" above. That way you might get some miniatures folks interested in collecting sets.

Now that the WC1 Confed ship prints are posted, I have a question for the community.

I will put my own spin on the designs as you've seen before and make them available to the community as 3D prints. WC3/4 Designs will be closer to cannon as you're used to seeing them.

I'm working for you. You guys tell me what you want! Or make your own suggestions!

The winners get my skull sweat!

You mean we can purchase those prints from you afterwards?

Tough one... I love the WC3/4 era ships the most, but I have very fond memories of flying off the Concordia (WC2 was my first foray into the series). So I'll vote for Option 2.

Klavs, I look forward with hope to many years of your skull sweat. Let's start with the cats, so that the Confed ships have something to shoot at.

I would love to get my hands on an ARROW (Armada) version...
Is it possible to create a larger version of such a model? For example 20-30cm long...
If you are able to produce such a high quality WC Armada Arrow I would definitely buy it even if it is expensive.

I would also be interested to know how much it might cost for a larger model... I'm guessing you'd have to print up multiple pieces and put it together like an old-school model set.

I would also be interested to know how much it might cost for a larger model... I'm guessing you'd have to print up multiple pieces and put it together like an old-school model set.

Yeah I just would like to hear a number... 200 EUR ... 300 EUR? ... but the question really is, if it is possible.

Well, I did a test with an extracted model of the WC Saga Arrow:

A 13" long model in full color sandstone would run around $1200 USD.

I think I'll stick to the 3-4" versions. MUCH easier on our poor wingnuts' wallets! Unless everybody wanted to chip in $100 bucks for the TCS Victory Shaped Fondant Cake for the stripper to pop out of during LOAF's bachelor party...

When I get to the WC3 models, I will have to model them up myself as original models unless the Saga guys give me permission to make their models available on Shapeways. I reiterate that I don't make any money off these, they're provided at cost to the WC community and the world in general.

Attachments

• Arrow.jpg
    Arrow.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 146
$1200 for a 13 inch print? Yikes.. That's why I use wood!

What is the main cost contributor, if I may ask?

Oh I would love to see some WC3 models. Have you asked Tolwyn? He knows best who did what model and could most likely provide you with the original files.

Well, I did a test with an extracted model of the WC Saga Arrow:

A 13" long model in full color sandstone would run around $1200 USD.

I think I'll stick to the 3-4" versions. MUCH easier on our poor wingnuts' wallets! Unless everybody wanted to chip in $100 bucks for the TCS Victory Shaped Fondant Cake for the stripper to pop out of during LOAF's bachelor party...

Could you provide some high ress photos of this Arrow model please? I would like to see the following views:
https://www.wcnews.com/ships/images/4views/wc3arrow.png

If it is possible you can post all these views seen in the picture above? and one view from front/side/top like that one:
http://www.rylex.de/pics/Rylex_Windows_Picture.jpg

I am really interested in Euro prices. 13 inch is quite large... exactly what I thought but I have to admit that the price is really high.
Perhaps you can tell me what size I will get for $300, $450, $600? Is there a dollar to inch calculator? Or can you create a table view of dollar to inch prices?

Well the question is what shipping to Germany costs and... last but not least... sorry if I ask silly questions: what exactly is the material of the models. How resistant/robust is it?
Is it the same material like those for example "Revell" plastic models?

I am really interested in such an Arrow!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rylex, check your PM. There's some info on the full color material here for those that are interested: http://www.shapeways.com/materials/sandstone

It's not the most robust stuff in the universe, but it sure looks great. Little parts will get snapped off, so I try to make my pointy bits a little thicker.

The community has spoken! Work on the Kilrathi models is now underway to get them fully textured and ready for Shapeways. In the meantime, check the 3d models thread for a sneak peak of coming attractions. Thanks for your participation in the poll, guys!

Back