Mission 6 - A Scrambled Day

Iceman16

Vice Admiral
I was wondering if there was any way to pass mission 6 cuz I cant seem to find a way. I get past the Moray wave but when the Manta and Barracuda show up, the manta shoots a torp at the Dauntless and blows it up. I've tried numerous times but no success. can anybody help me or is this a Dauntless-gets-destroyed-no-matter-what mission?

There is no Mission that is impossible to win. They are just quite hard sometimes. How heavyly damaged is the Dauntless when you start the mission? You might need to replay an earlier mission to save the Dauntless better back then.

In this mission, it is important to kill the bombers (Red Mantas) and Barracudas as quickly as possible. Ignore the Morays and go straight for the bombers. I find that a Dumbfire combined with a full burst of guns (i.e. fire till your gun capacitor is empty) will be enough to kill a Barracuda real quickly. Any time you have killed all of the bombers in the present wave, move closer to the Dauntless in anticipation of the next wave, which could come from either direction--you do NOT want to find yourself 80 thousand klicks away from the Dauntless on one side when a pair of bombers appear on the OPPOSITE side of your carrier!

Also, it helps if you learn to shoot down torpedoes. They're pretty small targets, but if you pour enough firepower into them, you'll probably get lucky eventually.

Defintely use the vipers to your advantage in torp hunting and keep a close eye on your radar for little green dots. (just a little hint, though) After the first round of morays is finished, go to the rear of the Dauntless as there will appear in like 15-30 seconds 2 or 3 mantas and a Barracuda. Good luck!

Also you might want to go to rookie to a least get a nack for the best way to accomplish the mission.

thx for all the help, I went back a couple of missions and made sure that no torps hit the Dauntless and I finally passed that mission and am now enjoying the missions after.

*Sigh* I was hoping I wouldn't have to replay any missions (I have the same problem) - I've already had to redo a few more than once, and I *HATE* replaying them ... *thinking* now, which mission did the Dauntless get hit by 4 torps while I wasn't looking (one for each of the five engines, right?) ...

Actually the left two and the right two engines are counted as one IIRC. So it only needs 3 torps to completely down all engines.
And you know what real pain is if you are in the last mission and realize that you cannot win it because the Dauntless hasn't ANY engines left, cannot move, and thus cannot complete its mission objective, making the mission never ending.

cff said:
Actually the left two and the right two engines are counted as one IIRC. So it only needs 3 torps to completely down all engines.
And you know what real pain is if you are in the last mission and realize that you cannot win it because the Dauntless hasn't ANY engines left, cannot move, and thus cannot complete its mission objective, making the mission never ending.

Oh, I see ... (grumble) but I'm replaying the earlier missions tonight, so hopefully this won't be a problem anymore (grumble) ... somehow, I don't remember Wing Commander I or II ever being this hard, but then again, maybe that's the point :)

UE is SUPPOSED to be insanely hard. They did an excellent job of fitting the bill - I beat it on Veteran but can't get any higher. I'm trying to play through on Hero now but I can't get past Mission 3.

All a matter of training. I still find the WCP engine fairly easy even with the UE extensions. The difficulty just doesn't modify all that much even from rookie to nightmare. Now take WC4 for example - the step up in difficult from veteran to ace - now that is something.

I never got Prophecy, only Secret Ops. But I have to say the difference in difficulty is amazing!

But I must agree on WC4, which I have played. Difficulty varies immensly from level to level in that game, while in SO and UE there is little difference, just that the enemies don't shoot as much (THOUGH THEY SHOOT ENOUGH!!!)

question about mission 3:
is the station supposed to be detroyed?
each time I get to it it's under attack, and after I save it I get refueled, sent to another nav point and then recalled back since the station is again under attack....

Nope. In fact the station makes the difference in the whole war effort. So save it at all costs. But that mission is probably the hardest one of UE.

I've played WC IV,Propechy,SO and UE,Academy, Privateer and Armada.The only games which were really hard for me was IV and now UE. I've completed Prophecy several times on Ace and just once on nightmare (without cheats,invul or any help).It was pretty easy for me. Secret Ops was a little diffrent,I'm still trying to beat it on Ace.WC IV, there I'm still on rookie. Privateer and Academy is just for fun. And Armada...the most fun of all! I like challenging my friends in one on one deathmatches.I'm totaly new in UE.I've started playing UE a little while ago on Veteran. Very hard and you guys just helped me in mission 3!Thanx! I would like it if a Multiplayer game of WC would be releashed with UE graphics. That I will be great!

Back