Mission 3B: New meaning to the word: "Nightmare"!

Mjr. Whoopass

<FONT color=lightblue><B>I was going to say someth
First off, great game guys! It's fun to fly with the Border Worlds and be back in ships like the 'gun heavy slug' Scimtar, Banshees, and Epees fighting those same bugs you challenged with more modern Panthers, Vampires, and the like.

For those of you who worked so hard years ago to make this mod, you can know that you've built a game who's playability will probably last for as long as the Wing Commander series and for as long as there's a website up where you can download this! Kudos to those who continue to make these since I can see clear improvement in Standoff even over this great game. Hopefully this can inspire some of the talented people who made this and other games to continue their work on current projects since you truly have a rare and valuable gift.

I've always prided myself in being able to beat Wing Commander games on nightmare, but (mission 3B?) might be the first one where I will need to take the difficulty down to complete this game (and I'm a decent pilot if you check my Standoff Scoreboard scores). I say this as praise and not criticism especially since others on this forum have beaten this mission on 'nightmare'.

After scraping through the Intrepid ambush, defending both sets of transports, and managing to taunt the Red Mantas into attacking me to save that station, I just barely destroy the last enemy as my fighter's yellow with damage, completely out of ammo, fuel, and space littered with ejection pods from all my wingmen and the patrol ferrets being shot down. I get the com to land and re-fuel thinking that's the end of an exceptionally tough mission.. then to my horror my fighter flies out again still registering yellow with damage! I think about just skipping navs and going home, but I have to try to save lives.. I defend the shuttles and hear the station is being attacked again by roughly the same size force PLUS corvettes and NO wingmen!! The station blows up in a matter of seconds and I manage to eject the instant before my ship explodes... a fate worse than death.

Now THAT's a nightmare!!!

Ok, I beat it.. it helped conserving my stormfire and missiles until the station. I think it mainly had to do with the defending Ferrets doing a much better job and staying alive to help me defend it the second time.

PS. I enjoyed the hidden room with Shotglass speaking German

It was hard to explain that.. 'Yeah, it's sad what happened to poor Shotglass.. post traumatic stress syndrome?' He seems to think your character is Casey and he's reverted to speaking German with a very distressed tone of voice!

Back