Misc Artwork for the Flight Demo

Some awsome camouflage concepts I see here! This space-like lozenge camouflage looks realy cool -- so cool that if it ain't going to be accessible somehow to have your own phalanx painted that way I'm going to be really sad! ;)

Also Fatcat's and Cam's designs are the real thing! Thinking about it - few more days, several dozens of posts later we will have some 20-30 pirate Bandit ship texture designs for Howard to choose from, and that's great.

I've always been a fan the of the various camo ideas from Battletech. Take the 7th Ghost Regiment for example. Here is a description.

7th Ghost Regiment: Cleansed by Dragon's Dark Passing

The 7th Ghost marks its machines with steel gray accents. Its warriors paint a length of chain on their BattleMechs, the links beginning at the right wrist, coiling upward to cross the front of the torso and then cascading down the 'Mech's left leg. The chain brakes where it crosses the House Kurita crest on the 'Mech's upper-right torso, which symbolizes how each warrior's current service to the Dragon has severed his or her ties to the past. One link on the chan is gilded in gold for every 'Mech kill credited to the pilot.

There are lots of other camo patterns as well. All of them are available at the address below. They are also visually represented on actual miniatures.
http://www.camospecs.com/

One merc in Battletech that I've always liked painted his battlemech light green with dark green dollar signs. That would be a lovely garish merc or pirate captain.

Why not make a fighter with a :) on his wing as the happy pirate clan? They could be mortal enemies of the :( pirate clan.

I've always been a fan the of the various camo ideas from Battletech. Take the 7th Ghost Regiment for example. Here is a description.

7th Ghost Regiment: Cleansed by Dragon's Dark Passing

The 7th Ghost marks its machines with steel gray accents. Its warriors paint a length of chain on their BattleMechs, the links beginning at the right wrist, coiling upward to cross the front of the torso and then cascading down the 'Mech's left leg. The chain brakes where it crosses the House Kurita crest on the 'Mech's upper-right torso, which symbolizes how each warrior's current service to the Dragon has severed his or her ties to the past. One link on the chan is gilded in gold for every 'Mech kill credited to the pilot.

There are lots of other camo patterns as well. All of them are available at the address below. They are also visually represented on actual miniatures.
http://www.camospecs.com/

One merc in Battletech that I've always liked painted his battlemech light green with dark green dollar signs. That would be a lovely garish merc or pirate captain.
It's nice to see other Battletech fans still out there, and I love Camospecs, they gave me ideas for my figures. The light green with dollar sign paint job is "Bounty Hunter"'s paint job for his Marauder.
Here's my next one, with the totally confusing paint job for some eccentric pirate or something:
pirate3.png

Just for note, the nose is in fact white.

Here are some German aircraft from WWI:
german.png

Sorry the planes are cut off, i'm having some trouble with my scanner. That hexagon pattern is really hard to draw.

Here are some German aircraft from WWI

Isn't it the already proposed -- yet another sample of -- lozenge camouflage already posted by Loaf? :p If it's not ten I'm going to search the web for more of these! :-B

Now seriously, though it's fun to come with crazy rainbow pirate >>flower child clan<< ship camos, but let's keep it more "piratic", don't you think? ;)

Isn't it the already proposed -- yet another sample of -- lozenge camouflage already posted by Loaf? :p If it's not ten I'm going to search the web for more of these! :-B

Now seriously, though it's fun to come with crazy rainbow pirate >>flower child clan<< ship camos, but let's keep it more "piratic", don't you think? ;)
The aim I was going for was the garish color scheme. I'll remove the picture, I think I went overboard on it.

Okay, I think we're done with the Pirate fighters. We've got enough color schemes, and I don't think we'll need any more. The one's we're going to use are Loaf's space camo, Cam's Bloody Death, and Fatcat's Red/Orange/Yellow Ace.
So now I'm working on the Camel. This one....it's tricky. I need to have it look big. Bigger than all the other ships you'll fly, because it is. I might have gone overboard on the little red lights, and I'm really just not happy with the Upgrade slots ( the twin circular deals in front of each engine pair). Any suggestions that way would be appreciated. I'm also getting some texture stretching around the front of the engine covers...that will go away.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• cam10.jpg
    cam10.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 371
  • cam11.jpg
    cam11.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 331
  • cam12.jpg
    cam12.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 447
  • cam13.jpg
    cam13.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 334
  • cam14.jpg
    cam14.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 361
And a size comparison. Little yellow boxes are human-sized.

Attachments

• size02.jpg
    size02.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 351
  • size01.jpg
    size01.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 366
  • size04.jpg
    size04.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 363
  • size03.jpg
    size03.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 403
The one's we're going to use are Loaf's space camo

One question concerning this camo particulary. Do you at least consider it available for player-flyable ships (probably only Phalanx) as a kind of some bonus mission reward, or not? Asking because it's very nice and deadly-looking!

Not at the moment, Plasteel Skull. Currently we don't have any plans for letting the player change his overall colorscheme - just a icon, or decal.
So - here's where I got the Camel this evening. Fixed most of the stretched texture issues (I can't stand stretched uvs) And gave the texture more detail, so it makes the ship look bigger. Still might be too dirty for a top-of-the-line merchant, though. Must. Sleep.

Attachments

• cam15.jpg
    cam15.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 307
  • cam16.jpg
    cam16.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 363
  • cam17.jpg
    cam17.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 306
  • cam18.jpg
    cam18.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 280
It look very nice and actually has a feel of a larger, medium size, ship. If you want it to look larger though, thanks to some texture tricks, maybe I can suggest some texts here and there, saying i.e. "CARGO HATCH #1 -->". Adjust its size (like readable from short distance or smaller) and make it small so it looks like few rows of small dots and dashes and you got the desired effect. That can make some nice addition to any of the ships' textures and will also introduce some kind of scale for an eye to estimate the size of particular ship.

The Camel looks good, but I don't know if I'm really liking the engines on the end of the wings. For comparison, how big is it? Are we talking Broadsword big or almost Corvette size?

Not at the moment, Plasteel Skull. Currently we don't have any plans for letting the player change his overall colorscheme - just a icon, or decal.
Would it be realistic to assume that we will be able to design our own icon and drop them into the "icon folder" to use?

So - here's where I got the Camel this evening. Fixed most of the stretched texture issues (I can't stand stretched uvs) And gave the texture more detail, so it makes the ship look bigger. Still might be too dirty for a top-of-the-line merchant, though. Must. Sleep.
Might I suggest a few hints of color somewhere. I think it's clean enough for a ship operating in the Landreich, but perhaps adding some pinstriping or something understated will express the high-class nature of the ship.

Another scheme I'd like to see: Space 1950 -- a ship that looks like one of the old Colliers magazine Von Braun wheel paintings. You know, that kind of an off-white yellow color that you can only find in Tomorrowland or the Houston Airport, with big rounded letters and little red lights? I think the Drayman in the original Privateer comes closest to this.

(It's not Wing Commander, but I would *love* to see someone do a 'retro' looking space game... instead of gray boxy detailed ships, it would be full of classic pointed rockets and big round space stations...)

(It's not Wing Commander, but I would *love* to see someone do a 'retro' looking space game... instead of gray boxy detailed ships, it would be full of classic pointed rockets and big round space stations...)

The closest match I can think of is X-Com Interceptor. It's a space combat game with a retro look.

X-Com Apocalypse is not a space game, but also has some 50's looking spaceships, like the Valkyrie Interceptor:

x3u36.gif

Back