Metallica

Dragonslayer

Spaceman
Im a metalhead. Love the genre and thats why its sad to see whats become of Metallica. What do people on this board think of them and specifically thoughts on the new album, ST. Anger. personally, from what ive lsitened to and what ive been told it sounds like crap. Im more interested in the new Black Label album and Dance of Death by Iron Maiden coming this fall.

Metallica has become a victim of the "Shoulda Quit While You Were Ahead" virus. They did some crazy good things originally, but the last 6-8 years has not been kind to them or to us.

I've pretty much phased out my "metal" Mp3s. Once in a while I'll pop in something, but I've been listening to mostly Polaris (Local CT group, did the music for The Adventures Of Pete And Pete), Smashing Pumpkins and The Cure.

Thats my thinking with metallica-the black album was a commercial hit and theyve taken the path down since then. Making dumb videos and writing pop metal songs. Should have stuck to their guns and produced more Master of Puppets like material. Lehah you seem a bit pessimistic on metal-For newer stuff i listen to more progressive stuff like Blind Guardian, the various Helloween offshoots, Symphony X, and for good kickA fun i listen to Black Label Society (Zakk Wylde's act). For older stuff maiden is always good to listen to and most of the older bands like Halford, Priest, Dio put out realy good live dvds and albums which showcase their talent

Hehehe...Metallica Pop..You can´t like it (Load-Reload), but saying that they made pop is just stupid.

I've listened to a lot of Metallica's older albums, pre-Black Album, and quite frankly most of them all sound pretty much the same. They were all just speed metal, with a few stand out tracks, and not a lot of variation.
I think it's cool that they're diversifying their work, rather than stringing together a fast succesion of drums and recycling guitar riffs. Pieces like Unforgiven and No Leaf Clover attest to this. It's still the same pissed off lyrics but now the music has more texture to it.

GHost what metallica is producing today is pop metal like all those numetal acts. They are shooting for a wide audience of people who listen to stuff because its on the radio. If that isnt poppy then i dont know what is. When every meathead in staten island thinks are metal becuase they listen to Metallica i want to puke.

Originally posted by Dragonslayer
Lehah you seem a bit pessimistic on metal

I am. Pop culture music generally leaves a bad taste in my mouth. There are exceptions, of course, but they're rare. Most of my rock tastes end around the mid-70s as bands on the radio now make me cringe and bleed interally. After Soundgarden broke up, my radio dial turned back to my local NPR station where it has stayed ever since.

I enjoy most of the bands ive mentioned because they dont get radio airplay. I used to love Ozzy but the new album was crap and that show makes me vomit

I think what really killed metallica was when the band became more of a brand name than a musical group. The band became more focused on protecting the metallica image instead of puttting out good albums. Now i realize that every band is a business venture at some point but getting rid of Newsted because you wouldnt let him release his solo stuff because it isnt metallica and then hiring mercenary bassist Rob Trujillo is just sad

Radiohead and Sonic Youth have yet to sell out.

PS: Please do not double post.

I love Metallica. And when you feel that way about the music that they made, doesn't matter what kind of records they do. They quit metal a long time ago, so I don't expect to find another "Master of Puppets" on any new album they might do. They have done enough for the metal genre to now have permission to do what they want. It's like any artist who made a masterpiece, they can't make it again. Most of them just copy themselves for years to keep on making money and please people who just want to hear the same tune over and over again (like AD/DC did, and they admit to have done it). When I saw them playing in my country, in '99, they made so much noise that it appeared in all local newspaper. They still can rock. Anything else, is their personal choice. And of course, if you are a Metallica fan, you'll like anything they do.
About the media expossure, well, I don't think that's really important. I mean, should a band suck just because they are played on the radio? In my country the radio plays a lot of what in the rest of the world is known as "anti mainstream music" or "non comercial music". Bands like Hammerfall, Queens of the Stone Age, Fear Factory or Symphony X were "popular" here long before they start to appear on MTV. What MTV or the radios do with the music, that over expossure they made, is just stupid and has no significant meaning to what a music decides to create an put on an album. The musical industry and the musical sense of art are completly different things.
By the way, if you don't like what the radio plays, I must say that the song "Master of Puppets", "One" or "For whom the bell tolls" is played at least once a day in a local radio, unlike songs like "Enter Sandman" or anything post black album. So, the fact they're played on the radio means they are crap? Hey, arround here even Nightwish, Therion and Black Label Society are played on the radio.
Sorry if where you live, the radio is crap ;)

In America bands like Symphony X, Blind Guardian, Black Label Society, Therion, Nightwish, and Hammerfall simply dont get radio airplay. Im also not saying that metallica has declined as individual musicians (well Kirk has and Lars has definitely slowed down). Ive never seen them live but i have heard that they still kick ass. My point is that Metallica has become mainstream which is usually a bad thing in the metal genre. Theyve been forced to tone down their sound and message. Gone are guitar solos and meaningful riff changes. Instead we get this newer stuff which to me just doesnt match up. And i can be a Metallica fan and critique or dislike what they do. Being blindly devoted to anything is just stupid.

Back