Metallica game from Vivendi Universal

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
According to IGN there's a game in development over at Vivendi Universal Games. It's a racing\combat game with the guys from Metallica doing the voice work and writing an exclusive song for the game. The IGN article came out around the time St. Anger was released and said they wouldn't cover it that close because 2005 was too far away for them to concentrate on that long. :p
Anyway, seeing as how it's the middle of 2005, I was wondering if anybody knew anything more about the game.
Cause there was a KISS Psycho Circus game awhile back that I read about online then all the information dried up and the next thing I saw of it was the game in a bargain bin at my local software store.

Yeah thats the idea McGruff! I love Metallicas old stuff but anything from the last ten years is only good enough to download if that. I can't believe how a group of such greatness has fallen so far and so hard. Screw Metallica!

I don't buy games because some singer or group makes an appearance in it - all this "exclusively written for the game"-stuff ist just another ploy to hype sales numbers.

Although, I must admit, stumbling into a David Bowie gig integrated into "The Nomad Soul" was a nice surprise. I'd never would have paid for a Bowie concert, let alone buy the game because of him (I wasn't even aware that he was in it - got the game in a compilation), but having it as a bonus was neat. Although the concert wasn't that great either.
So, if this racing game is good, I'd take a look. If the game only serves as selling reason for some second-rate non-releaseable music, I'd pass.

Joker057 said:
Yeah thats the idea McGruff! I love Metallicas old stuff but anything from the last ten years is only good enough to download if that. I can't believe how a group of such greatness has fallen so far and so hard. Screw Metallica!
I'd have to aggree with that. Everything after Dave Mustaine left was a bit naff really. Listen to Megadeth instead. As for the idea of a game using metallica for voice overs and stuff, it's probably going to be crap as they tend to be used to cover up the fact the game isn't all that good.

Well haven't heard about this "metallica-driven" title but sounds like a sure recipe for disaster so don't expect me to get a copy.

Stupid Metallica, they cancelled their las tour to South America becuase...they were tired, yeah right, i will never buy something of them

Geez a simple no would have sufficed. :(
Seriously, I respect everybody's opinion on Metallica, but that's not what really interests me about the game. A new song is interesting, to me, but the combat racing side interests me more, the fact that it has Metallica's name and a song on it is just a bonus. :D
If I wanted something that was straight racing I'd pla NASCAR Thunder 2004 or NFS Hot Pursuit 2.

Patton said:
Anyone remember that Aerosmith arcade game? There's a reason such tie-ins crash and burn horribly.

Man, you can still find a whole lot of arcades with Revolution X in them. It wasn't so bad a game - it was just the Terminator 2 game with some different graphics.

I've seen sooo many weird genres lately. A Gameboy game that's a space shooter and an RPG, a fighting game that has you fight through what moves come up on a slot machine, a little robot who keeps a house happy, etc. Whether its Katamari Damacy or upcoming Odama Pinball, gaming is getting some weird stuff as of recent.

Hrm. But will it have the drummer going "Napster... BAAAD!" and "Interweb... BAAAAD!"?

Ah the old flash movies back during the Metallica v. Napster lawsuits...

Patton said:
Anyone remember that Aerosmith arcade game? There's a reason such tie-ins crash and burn horribly.

HAHA! I've seen that game. They have it down at the Ogden Pizzaria.

No good will come from this game.

No good can come from Metallica.

Anymore, that is.

Revolution-X owns you.

To be honest there is so much one can do with racing type games. They are pretty much all the same, compare to other racing games. Race around a track or street or something but then most other games are similiar to one another.
The way I see it a good game must have a good story/plot/background to make the game enjoyable.
There has been so many 1st person shooters that many did not succeded because it did not have a decent story and all.
The most successful games I have seen has been Doom, Half-Life, Unreal, Tribes (maybe), and some of the Star Wars 1st person games, apart from that I cannot see many of the others do well, but then I could be wrong

Back