Memory for Privateer

ts_basilisk

Spaceman
Yes, another topic on Privateer. I love the game, but haven't played it in years. Now my computer hates the game.

I'm told I need more DOS memory. I've tried increasing the amount of memory usable, but so far nothing has happened. My Windows 98 computer just doesn't like Privateer, even in DOS. Here's my system configurations:

Config.sys:
REM To make a DOS Boot Diskette; See the file C:\DOSBOOT\DOSBOOT.TXT

[common]
dos=high,umb
buffers=10
device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM

rem The below DOS CD ROM driver is not required to run Windows 98.
DEVICE=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.SYS /D:IDECD000
FILES=20

Autoexec.bat:
@echo off

REM To make a DOS Boot Diskette; See the file C:\DOSBOOT\DOSBOOT.TXT

path C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND

@REM SetPower.exe will initialize the USB Keyboard.

@c:\windows\system\setpower.exe

rem - By Windows Setup - mscdex.exe /d:IDECD000 /L:M

C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\NETWOR~1\VIRUSS~1\40~1.XX\scan.exe c:\
@IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE

PS: Boot disks make my computer freeze up, like half the things I try.

We can help you make a bootdisk. What is your sound card. Without a sound card DOS drivers it's not worth trying.

Sound card, as best I can figure, goes as either Soundblaster in DOS, but is actually Riptide Direct Sound Driver.

Also, I did some checking of current memory usage in DOS. It reads as 543k conventional and 3k upper memory currently available.

Here a autoexec.bat and config.sys you can use in your bootdisk. You need to add a mouse driver and the sound card settings. Oh' you also need a DOS enable joystick. P1 only uses two buttons so a cheap $12.00 joystick would be o'kay.

That Riptide thing you have as far as I can tell does not have DOS drivers. You need to check with your Computer Manufacture about this. Without a sound card you can't hear the game. I don't know about your USB keyboard. USB devices normally don't work in DOS. I can use my Logitech USB keyboard in DOS but only because in my BIOS I change USB keyboard setting from software to BIOS enable.

----CONFIG.SYS---------
[COMMON]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 RAM D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF
DOS=HIGH,UMB

REM --- CD-ROM DRIVE ---
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:IDECD000

STACKS=18,256
FILESHIGH=50
BUFFERSHIGH=35
SHELL=C:\ WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM C:\WINDOWS /P
LASTDRIVE=F

---------AUTOEXEC.BAT--------
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\TEMP
PROMPT $P$G

REM SETPOWER.EXE WILL INITIALIZE THE USB KEYBOARD.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SETPOWER.EXE

REM --------SOUND CARD

REM --- CD-ROM DRIVE ---
MSCDEX.EXE /D: IDECD000 /V

REM --- MOUSE-----

SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM

-----------------------------------------------------
In the autoexec.bat make sure that these two line are made to be one line.
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;

Conexant own the Riptide chip. Here's there policy:
http://modemsite.com/56k/dosspec.asp

All right, I entered the info I know. However, I am not sure what to put in the fields for CD-ROM, sound card, or mouse. How do I get those things, because, truth beknown, I'm slightly pathetic in this region of computers. :eek: I could manipulate our computers configuration so it would run when I was ten, but five years later I'm at a loss for how to find a few lines of code! :D

Base on the info you posted I already fill in the CD-ROM stuff. As I wrote in my previous post you need to contact your computer manufacture and see if there is a DOS driver for your sound card. If you have a Riptide sound card like you said than I don't believe there is a DOS driver for it. Without a sound card that works in DOS the rest means nothing.

From what I read a Riptide sound/modem combo cards only come in sub $1000 systems. Using this card is one of the ways manufactures are able to sell PC's cheap. Base on the limited info you provided about your system that all the advise I can give you.

If you give detail info on your PC I maybe able to provide more advise. But once again if you PC is like a e-machine or a cheap HP there maybe nothing we can do but suggest you get a real sound card. Contact your PC's manufacture.

Back