Meet Me Midway (February 28, 2007)

That's great... You can really see how it's been upgraded and modified over the years. Probably to keep it in one piece, like that corvette in End Run.

Awesome. It's only natural that they would upgrade the model. The Midway is one of the most impressive looking capships in all Wing Commander, and it's nice to have it back.

not to mention all those extended bits off the hull give us ideal targets to blow off as the kilrathi player.

Is this the first time a carrier has returned in another game? The Claw didn't make it to WC2, Concordia didn't make it to WC3, Victory was seen, but retired by WC4, neither Lexington nor Intrepid made it into Prophecy. I suppose Midway was there in Secret Ops, but in a very small role.

I don't know, I'm just typing as I think, but it seems like Midway is the only ship we see in multiple games.

Other way around -- this is *keeping* the tradition. You see the Tiger's Claw in WC2, you see the Concordia in WC2, you see the Victory in WC3, you see the Midway in WCSO.

(You don't see the 'Lex or the Intrepid in WCP -- but the former did have a cameo at the wingcommanderprophecy.com website way back when...)

Other way around -- this is *keeping* the tradition. You see the Tiger's Claw in WC2, you see the Concordia in WC2, you see the Victory in WC3, you see the Midway in WCSO.

It is very hard not to see Concordia in WC2 or Victory in WC3 ;)

But to be on topic - great model of Midway!! Do we know something more about her modifications/upgrades?

It is very hard not to see Concordia in WC2 or Victory in WC3 ;)

But to be on topic - great model of Midway!! Do we know something more about her modifications/upgrades?

We were talking about this in #wingnut. I suggested that it's possible confed felt it wasn't worth their while to bring a battledammaged / disabled Midway class carrier back from the frontlines. So after it gets cooked from a nephilim attack, they striped out any sensitive info and equipment, took what parts were usefull and portable (weapons that are still functional for example) and left the burnt out hull drifting. Some Merc group thus finds it, and rather than converting the empty hull into a functioning carrier, they outfit it into some kind of make-shift space station - hence the extra power relays and towers on the outside of the hull.

Keep in mind this is just a theory.

Keep in mind this is just a theory.

That sounds kinda farfetched. To me it looks like something out of Fallout not Wing Commander. It's good to see the Midway but I would like to have seen less liberties taken or at least an explaination of why they were taken.

It's pretty clearly the Midway. Remember that this is 30 years after Prophecy.

(The practical reason is that your job is to defend (or attack?) the ship -- the various structures are to allow the user to visually see what shape the ship is in.)

I'm sure all will be explained in due time.

I'm anxiously awaiting it. Unfortuately as a student, I'm highly unlikely to enjoy this game as my budget is strapped therefore I'm living for any canon info I can get.

Three words: sold for scrap.

Battle-worn hull, heavily damaged during the Nephilim War. It would cost too much to repair the ship, so ConFleet sells the hull for scrap metal. Mercenaries or some other party buys the hull, and converts it into a base. (Example: Ore Container that becomes a space station in Action Stations). Hence, the Midway Base.

Or, simply a ship mothballed, retired, and sold, like the Essex class carriers of the US Navy.

I wonder if anybody demanded an explanation for why the Pentagon took "such liberties" with the Iowa-class battleships. "Hey, what are these, Tomahawk Missiles? Explain yourselves!"

yeah.. real navy ships go through crazy-awesome appearance changes after a refit.

I think it adds to their legacies.

Damnit, I really dislike it, I know why all those components are stuck on, but they really do look just that, stuck on, with super glue.
I'm not sure I like the very dark Starlancer/ Freespace ships. The lighter colouredships of the Wing Commander universe alwaysmade things more visible.

Hehe, looks like the old girl put on a bit of fat on the hips - but that's okay at her age. ;)

I for instance like that it really looks upgraded (or rather: retrofitted - if there is the difference in meaning I think there is) and I am glad I'll be seeing her in the single player game. I always love when there's connection via ship designs between the games (something I was a bit disappointed with in WC 3). I loved the Rapier II in WC 2, the Jrathek in Aramda, the Thunderbolt in SOPS (and all the others).

I wonder if anybody demanded an explanation for why the Pentagon took "such liberties" with the Iowa-class battleships. "Hey, what are these, Tomahawk Missiles? Explain yourselves!"

I demand nothing, sorry if it comes of as I did. The obvious answer here the difference between reality and a storyline. In reality if a battleship gets refitted I can assume there is reason behind it. In the Wing Commander storyline though changes can be made without any reason and minute details aren't too big of an issue but to me this is huge and of course it peaks my interest as Wing Commander 1 & 2 alone accounted for the greater part of my early teenage years.

Unfortuately as a student, I'm highly unlikely to enjoy this game as my budget is strapped

You cant set aside $10 from your beer money to afford a X-Box Live game?

That said, I was never a huge fan of the WC:p Prophecy designs. Not that they were bad, or "Un-Wing Commander" - but they were too sleek and shiny looking. This may be why I liked the Wasp more than the rest of the fighters, as it had a "boxy" look to parts of it.

While it's a shame that the Midway apparently has seen some rough times, I do like her new look. She looks like shes ready for action all over again!

Back