MechWarrior is back!

Jesus fucking Christ, Wikipedia. _(reboot)? Really?

Anyway I am totally stoked over this game. It looks a lot like Mechwarrior 3 which I always thought was the best MW game.

I wonder if they'll model new cars for the game or if they'll keep doing what they've been doing with the teasers, where everyone seems to drive 1000-year-old cars. I think we've seen a GT-R get blown up, an LF-A nearly get stomped on, and I'm pretty sure a Mercury Sable, of all possible cars, is in the background in one of them, too.

Mechwarrior 4 will be given away for free, too. That should excite everyone.

Well its about time. I really would hope that you can play on foot as well as in a mech. It would be interesting to have the ability to find and steal unmanned mechs as well as attempt to kill an enemy mech pilot.

Well its about time. I really would hope that you can play on foot as well as in a mech. It would be interesting to have the ability to find and steal unmanned mechs as well as attempt to kill an enemy mech pilot.

Interesting, but I can't see that working too well without devolving into MechAssault. You'd really only find those on a military base, and there's no way you should be allowed to walk on one of those without being shot even if you had powered armor on.

And really, how are you going to kill the enemy pilot? Are we going to include some way for you to shimmy up 10 meters as the guy is being fired on, and somehow personally break the glass that could stand up to a fairly solid blow? I mean, it sounds cool in concept, but it'd take away the emphasis from the Mechs, which is what a Mechwarrior game needs to stick with.

Interesting, but I can't see that working too well without devolving into MechAssault. I mean, it sounds cool in concept, but it'd takes away the emphasis from the Mechs, which is what a Mechwarrior game needs to stick with.

Agreed. Really looking forward to this one!

Command and Conquer 4 was also announced recently. Im glad it's for PC only

Command and Conquer 4 was also announced recently. Im glad it's for PC only

Thank God, I'm not going to feel obligated to buy another stupid sci-fi C&C game. The couple of pictures so far highlight everything that went terribly, terribly wrong with Command and Conquer. There's no franchise in the world that needs a reboot-and-pill-that-makes-you-forget-that-C&C-2-and-3-exist -- but now it's even more flying platforms and space fighters somehow.

Thank God, I'm not going to feel obligated to buy another stupid sci-fi C&C game. The couple of pictures so far highlight everything that went terribly, terribly wrong with Command and Conquer. There's no franchise in the world that needs a reboot-and-pill-that-makes-you-forget-that-C&C-2-and-3-exist -- but now it's even more flying platforms and space fighters somehow.

I enjoyed both campaigns in C&C3 (not counting the aliens) - imo its classic C&C gameplay (although granted, not as good as the originals).

As for RA3 I was really looking forward to it when it was announced but when I actually played it I was very dissapointed - they took the 'over the top' aspect way too far for my taste. I think a C&C game should stick with 2 campaigns - RA3 was a mess and an insult to its predecessors. I wanted to like it but just couldn't bring myself to.

Hehehe there's no way in hell I'm buying C&C if it's not available on Xbox.

Oh, so you're the one who bought a console copy of a C&C game.

Speaking of consoles, they'd better not dumb down the PC version of MechWarrior just because they have to make it simple for consoles. I wish they didn't have to put it out on consoles at all, but God forbid we have PC exclusives anymore.

Oh, so you're the one who bought a console copy of a C&C game.

I have the three Xbox C&Cs and the PS3 Super Duper Red Alert 3. They're perfectly fine games from a gameplay standpoint -- everyone, to the last man, who bitches about how the control scheme is (*gasp*) different from how it was in 1995 on their Pentium should be sent to the same pain-inflecting camp as the folks bitching about "DRM" in PC games. Similarly, everyone who thinks that a game about blowing up the supertanks has been dumbed down because it's being played with an Xbox controller instead of... well, in 2009, an Xbox controller... should be sent to the same place.

(On another (now sadly unrelated) note, Command and Conquer was the absolute first game that I thought of when they brought out the Natal. Using your hands to group and order units around would be a pretty neat experience -- in my head, anyway, it's cooler than mice or thumbsticks.)

Anyway, the real problem with C&C is that the sequel designers forgot what made the original great -- very, very quickly. The fantasy stuff -- even when the game was called Dune -- was supposed to be the glaze, not the whole point. The Devastators and Tesla tanks and whatnot were a neat reward to revitalize gameplay later in the game, not something that should be expanded into an elaborate slavish future history.

Speaking of consoles, they'd better not dumb down the PC version of MechWarrior just because they have to make it simple for consoles. I wish they didn't have to put it out on consoles at all, but God forbid we have PC exclusives anymore.

Wasn't the most elaborate mech game ever an Xbox 180 exclusive?

I was kidding about the poor sales figures for RTS games on consoles. I tried the PS3 RA3 demo and couldn't make heads or tails of it, but it's probably because I'm so used to using a keyboard and mouse.

MechAssault?

edit: Oh, Steel Battalion? I wouldn't count that, since it couldn't be played without its own $200 controller. Technically, I could play Falcon 3.0 on my PSP, but I wouldn't be able to control it with its eight buttons and two direction pad things.

Mechwarrior 3 wasn't on anything but PC. :p

At any rate, the interview says they're keeping full complexity of the series and trying to find a way to get it to control on the 360, so it's all good.

Smith and Tinker owns the rights for the FASA interactive games. Battletech is just their "biggest" property, but they also have the rights for Crimson Skies and Shadowrun.

I remember when the production company was announced, many of my friends, really dug the FASA properties, ranging from their video games to the old tabletop products.

It has been suggested that the CEO wants to turn one of these IPs into a MMO, Battletech and Shadowrun would work well in this genre.

I am really looking forward to Mechwarrior though.

Having a console release is a smart move though. Xbox 360 alone has more than 20 million units and the giant robot franchise is only riding high with the transformer reboots.

Now, the thought of a WC reboot sounds awesome, and I for one never thought I would be rooting for developers and writers to be pirating old source material for relaunch rather than fresh ideas.

Here's to old franchises being brought back to life!

Mechwarrior 3 wasn't on anything but PC. :p

At any rate, the interview says they're keeping full complexity of the series and trying to find a way to get it to control on the 360, so it's all good.

Woohoo! I'm so glad this franchise is firmly back in their hands.

edit: Oh, Steel Battalion? I wouldn't count that, since it couldn't be played without its own $200 controller. Technically, I could play Falcon 3.0 on my PSP, but I wouldn't be able to control it with its eight buttons and two direction pad things.

I think you'd be hard pressed to call it anything *but* an Xbox game, though. :)

That said, as extreme an example as SB is there's no shortage of console games that come with their own controllers today. It's pretty popular for all the different music, trivia and exercise games... I bet we'll see more custom flight sticks and mech-holes in the near future too.

(Or maybe there'll be a Natal Mechwarrior where you just walk around like a robot to control it...)

I think you'd be hard pressed to call it anything *but* an Xbox game, though. :)

That said, as extreme an example as SB is there's no shortage of console games that come with their own controllers today. It's pretty popular for all the different music, trivia and exercise games... I bet we'll see more custom flight sticks and mech-holes in the near future too.

(Or maybe there'll be a Natal Mechwarrior where you just walk around like a robot to control it...)

I would love to see more controllers like the one that came with Steel Battalion. If they get Natal to make games like MechWarrior work well on the 360, I'll get one, mark my words.

Back