Massive WC3 Final Mission bug?

Geeze, and to think that all this time, all I have ever done was save my afterburner fuel for the trench run. I'd cloak at the right time, come in and waste Hobbes and Thrakhath (I usually never go after Hobbes when he kills Cobra. I like Vaquero too much), then hold the burner for as long as it will hold out in the trench. I used to afterburn PAST the fault line, and then turn around and face the oncoming Ekapshis, so I could use the Excalibur's auto-aim to blast them while the T-bomb was busy locking on.

I usually never go after Hobbes when he kills Cobra. I like Vaquero too much

Heh same here. Also, you do know about infinite AB bug? if you exploit it together with cloak bug the trench run becomes not only easy, but also quick... And of course if you do explore the double cloak bug there is no reason not to use the other one...

The Trench run isn't even almost hard uncloaked, though. Even on Nightmare. You're in an Excalibur, it has velocity lock, hit your burners, lock in 1300kps, outrun the Ekapshis to the fault-line. The T-Bomb will lock on before they catch up and you're done.

Geeze, and to think that all this time, all I have ever done was save my afterburner fuel for the trench run. I'd cloak at the right time, come in and waste Hobbes and Thrakhath (I usually never go after Hobbes when he kills Cobra. I like Vaquero too much), then hold the burner for as long as it will hold out in the trench. I used to afterburn PAST the fault line, and then turn around and face the oncoming Ekapshis, so I could use the Excalibur's auto-aim to blast them while the T-bomb was busy locking on.

I dunno, it seems logical for blair's character to go after hobbes right after cobras dead, since he was always a hothead and quick tempered. we know this behaviour from wc2 where blair went for jazz, or from wc4 where taggart says to tolwyn that blair is a hot head, after blairs defection. in prophecy blair argues with the cag about going in the comm station with casey

I dunno, it seems logical for blair's character to go after hobbes right after cobras dead, since he was always a hothead and quick tempered. we know this behaviour from wc2 where blair went for jazz, or from wc4 where taggart says to tolwyn that blair is a hot head, after blairs defection. in prophecy blair argues with the cag about going in the comm station with casey

ironic given that his callsign is supposed to be an ironic take on his "by the book" flying ;)

I think that, while Blair could be temperamental at times, he certainly didn't take excessive risks, especially not in the same way that Maniac did. Most of the time, anyway.

There is indeed a trench. It's easy to miss when you just fly straight at the navpoint, since it zig-zags all over the place.

I think that, while Blair could be temperamental at times, he certainly didn't take excessive risks, especially not in the same way that Maniac did. Most of the time, anyway.

The main problem is that WC1 and 2 paint Blair as a blank canvas that you imprint yourself upon. The reality - no matter what the supporting fiction is - is that we the player often played and awful lot like the way maniac flies since it's just a game and are trying to win. I remember getting many lucky collision kills that I was more than happy about. I certainly wasn't particularly concerned about flight regs, which don't really have any actual bearing on the gameplay in any real sense.

Except keeping 250 in asteroids, that's good advice.

I think my flying is more like Hunter, at least we always seem to be in the same place. And he's not the worst wingman in the "always goes after weakest enemy = the one I'm shooting right now" thing some of them do.

The main problem is that WC1 and 2 paint Blair as a blank canvas that you imprint yourself upon.
Certainly, WC1 Blair didn't have much of a personality - he had a few lines later on, but early conversations with other characters often showed him 'nodding silently and sipping his drink' or some such. I think he was much more developed in WC2, and I certainly can't relate - personally - to some of his more aggressive actions, especially his defiance of regulations in ordering Sparks to refit his Sabre with torpedoes. Granted, that reckless action won him redemption in the eyes of Admiral Tolwyn, but it probably isn't something I would have done in his situation.

Actually, a lot of the recommended tactics ("shake-rattle-and-roll", "fishook", "burnout" etc.) work quite well in WC1 if you use them when the manual tells you to.

And we're never required to "go against the regs"...remember, the biggest "reg" is that the wing commander is responsible for the mission objectives, and the wingman is responsible for protecting the wing commander. We never actually play as a wingman...true to the name of the series, we are always the "wing commander". So us ignoring the "buddy rule" isn't disregarding the regs... It's most of the WC1 wingmen that seem to do that (i.e. they're supposed to stay on your wing and protect you).

Wing Commander's Death Star Trench Run, no doubt

Beggar's canyon(back home), to be more exact. I always was disappointed at the "trench run" of WC3, I got the feeling I was driving a tractor instead of a fighter plane, there was no fast-paced action involved whatsoever. Since Wing3 was supposed to send the lucasarts sims "crying home to momma", after how it turned out, I'm pretty sure nobody really minded it being taken out of the console versions..

Actually, a lot of the recommended tactics ("shake-rattle-and-roll", "fishook", "burnout" etc.) work quite well in WC1 if you use them when the manual tells you to.

I'd say those tactics are universal, not only for all WC games, but any space dogfighting game. But I also think, there's no real point in memorizing them, but it helps to have read them and gotten and understanding of how they work, so you can go from there, having increased the horizon of your intuition if you will...

I would even go so far to say, of all the Wing Commander games, WC1 is the one where you need those tactics the least.

I never really used those tactics. basically my flying style is always the same

1.) avoid direct fire up front

2.) roll to evade fire and missiles

3.) hang on tail of enemy

Back