Massive WC3 Final Mission bug?

jimdove

Spaceman
Hi all, just been enjoying WC3 again after all these years, however, On the final mission, i am stuck in an unlimited loop of enemy ships spawning as i kill them, Its after I have loaded up the T bomb and a few nav points in where Hobbes is waiting, Ive killed him and nothing happens but ENDLESS enemys

starting to get REALLY f****g annoyed

any ideas? Dont remember this happening on my first play thru about 10 years ago.

Upoin reading a few walkthrus to see if i was missing something it seems that Prince Takahroth or whetver fella SHOULD be here but i killed him when i had the chance to chase him, still mamanged to get back to the victory after killing him btw

Many Thanks

It's not a bug, it's a feature. Instead of wasting time on expletives, you should try following Paladin's instructions. ;)

(In case you really don't get the hint...)
You're supposed to cloak before making the run to the final nav point. I think the idea is that without cloak, Kilrah will have enough time to launch an overwhelming defence.

It's not a bug, it's a feature. Instead of wasting time on expletives, you should try following Paladin's instructions. ;)

(In case you really don't get the hint...)
You're supposed to cloak before making the run to the final nav point. I think the idea is that without cloak, Kilrah will have enough time to launch an overwhelming defence.

thanks for the help...... but i AM cloaked at the right times no nav points to auto pilot too etc..

never mind my savegame is corrupt, crashes when i reloaded dosbox + the game so starting from a few missions earliers savepoint

Are you cloaked on the surface of Kilrah? If you leave the canyon at any point you will face infinite waves of Ekapshis.

Are you cloaked on the surface of Kilrah? If you leave the canyon at any point you will face infinite waves of Ekapshis.

I don't think he's talking about the surface of the planet.

You have to cloak immediately in that mission and then remain cloaked until you get to the nav point with both Thrakhath and hobbes. That means that you have to wait till you are out of range of all the capships to autopilot IIRC. Once you destroy Hobbes and Thrakhath. You either land automatically after destroying Thrakhath or you might have to fly towards the planet for a while.

There's also a bug in the game where you can recloak once you get to the surface though and just fly straight to the target.

I don't think he's talking about the surface of the planet.

You have to cloak immediately in that mission and then remain cloaked until you get to the nav point with both Thrakhath and hobbes. That means that you have to wait till you are out of range of all the capships to autopilot IIRC. Once you destroy Hobbes and Thrakhath. You either land automatically after destroying Thrakhath or you might have to fly towards the planet for a while.

No you don't have to. You can fight your way through all the navpoints. You'll have to check your nav map every time before autopiloting though, and cloak when you are told to

There is also a trick to finish the mission even if you got to infinite Sorthak: Cloak, get away from them, use navmap to mark nav point before last, auto, mark last navpoint (DON'T Ddecloak!!!) auto back and Thrakath should be there

Agreed. I usually fight my way to the second last nav point, then cloak and fly to meet Thrakhath and company.

does all that really work? I remembered calling the EA hotline in 1996 or so. I was on the loosing path, because I had not killed hobbes at the first chance,when he killed cobra. The EA guy told me,that hobbes gave away to many infos to the enemy and therefore I am on the loosing path and cannot return.

I also remember that when thrakkath flies a vaktoth, you are also on the loosing path, since he flies his bloodfang on the winning path

... Yeah that really work. The only difference present when you have let hobbes go is that he is present at Thrakhat's navpoint. The cloak and return trick worked for me once in the DOS version, but I haven't tried it since. Blasting, cloaking at second last nav and autopiloting works in both DOS and KS versions. The loosing path missions (proxima and sol) are very, very different, and you never face Thrakath there. Also, Thrakath always flies bloodfang. It is rumored, that in DOS version, where you were able to kill Thrakath and land in Loki, you got different set of ships in last space navpoint in last mission.

Note that all this info comes from PC version(s) of the game. I have no idea what are the differences in console variants

I remembered calling the EA hotline in 1996 or so. I was on the loosing path, because I had not killed hobbes at the first chance,when he killed cobra. The EA guy told me,that hobbes gave away to many infos to the enemy and therefore I am on the loosing path and cannot return.

Completely wrong. If you don't pursue Hobbes, you're still on the winning track.

Though, I've always felt that letting go Hobbes is kinda odd:

http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=25275

I wonder why the EA guy told you this wrong info.

There's also a bug in the game where you can recloak once you get to the surface though and just fly straight to the target.
Is that a bug? I assumed it's a feature, that you're supposed to fly it stealth.

Is that a bug? I assumed it's a feature, that you're supposed to fly it stealth.

From Mobygames:

This game has an interesting example of how bugs can critically hinder gameflow. As most people know, once you've defeated Hobbes and Thrakhath the game is pretty much over, since the trench run is a piece of cake. This wasn't intended to be so, since the cloaking device is supposed to function only once. However a bug exists that resets the cloak once you enter Kilrah. In reality you should have been going through the trench while avoiding endless swarms of fighters, which is a reaaaally difficult thing to do (go ahead, try and uncloak yourself to see what I mean).

Of a somewhat less importance but equally exemplary is the pretty un-dramatic finale for both Hobbes and Thrakhath. In reality both of them send you a final message when you blow them up, however you can't hear them while playing normally. You've got to pause the game just as they blow up, and for some weird reason they'll play just asfter the explosion sfx dies out.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/wing-commander-iii-heart-of-the-tiger/trivia

As i recall, you're told that the cloak will only work once in the mission - and if you cloak at say nav1 and decloak at nav 2, you won't be able to recloak again before you enter the planet - which actually means you can't finish the mission. So it's pretty definitely a bug, after all otherwise the ekapshi is completely wasted !

anyone knows what thrakkath and hobbes say during their blow ups?
Ralgha: A fatal blow… Heart of the Tiger… Farewell, my friend…
Thrakhath: Curse you, Heart of the Tiger! You take my honour, I go to my death!

As i recall, you're told that the cloak will only work once in the mission - and if you cloak at say nav1 and decloak at nav 2, you won't be able to recloak again before you enter the planet - which actually means you can't finish the mission. So it's pretty definitely a bug, after all otherwise the ekapshi is completely wasted !
It's not a bug that you face infinite waves should you arrive at Kilrah uncloaked. However, being able to cloak again upon entering Kilrah's atmosphere wasn't the intent of the mission design. As I understand it, you're supposed to thread your way through the valley - Wing Commander's Death Star Trench Run, no doubt - to avoid detection or otherwise just fight and/or evade your way through the enemy fighter patrols. I did it that way once, just for fun.

Back