Mass Effect 360

Bigt028

Rear Admiral
ok, i keep bringing up space sims for the 360, so here i am at the store and this game jumps out at me, looks great, G4 gave it a 5 out of 5, never saw that before and this game allows you to pick what to say.
ok, so anyone played it and can report back..thanks

BUY IT.

Sorry. Let me try and elaborate -

It's from the developers of Knights of the Old Republic. It's more RPG than sim, but there is a lot of real-time action in it. Unfortunately, no spaceship flying, but you do get to use this neato battle tank to explore planets with.

The story is you play a human, in a galaxy where humans are considered rather primitive, who needs to uncover the mystery of why this honorable super elite soldier went rogue, and you uncover a secret that can change the fate for all species of the galaxy. What makes this game great is the level of customization that is allowed for your character, from general appearances to the attitude you take in conversations, and the depth of interactions with all sorts of character.

The game is as close to a "sandbox" game for scifi enthusiasts as you can get, but I do find things can get a tad repetive, especially if you're trying to unlock achievements for exploring the galaxy and collecting missing pieces.

The game is pretty huge, in terms of story, level design, and voice acting (unlike KotOR, there aren't any generic alien language clips that you hear over and over again). It's also quite beautiful, and near seamless, minus some boring elevator action (haha).

The reviews can go into greater detail, but I would definitely suggest picking it up, especially since I saw recently it's part of the $20 Platinum Choice series (or whatever XBox calls there cheap bestsellers).

BUY IT.
Unfortunately, no spaceship flying, but you do get to use this neato battle tank to explore planets with.

I'm not an RPG guy, but more of a sci-fi nut and I really liked the game alot. I have to disagree about the Mako (the tank thing you drive on planets). It's cumbersome and akward to drive. It's the least interesting part of the game considering so many of the side quest planets are repetitive empty and barren places. The missions themselves are all decent for the most part though.

It's more along the lines of a Third/first person shooter though than anything. And you do get a lot of dialogue choices in the conversations... It all it's a really good game though that I would definitely recommend.

thanks for the reviews, i will pick it up tomorrow, i think it now comes in two versions, original and platinum. either way i appreciate it

The platinum hits are just lower priced rereleases. They're the exact same game. The game did come out in two versions - normal and limited edition, although the limited edition is rare. Again, this game isn't a space sim at all, but it's a decent game anyhow.

The platinum hits are just lower priced rereleases. They're the exact same game. The game did come out in two versions - normal and limited edition, although the limited edition is rare. Again, this game isn't a space sim at all, but it's a decent game anyhow.

I liked it, my character looks exactly like me... with a scar over my eye!:D

This game has one of the most solidly written scripts of any new age RPG with great voice acting but the thing that drew me to it was the smoothness in the action you very rarely find yourself in a confused stressful spot with semi-clunky control.

I know that sounds kind of silly, but with all the games that make things so over complicated with unnecessary button combos, it was nice to pick up a game with a decent learning curve that didn't feel the need to use 4-button combos to just do some walking around.

-Rance-

thanks to everyone for the great suggestions, i just picked the game up this weekend, the Platinum version with the seond disk. i actaully was standing there looking at all three versions, platinum, regaular release and the limited collector's edition in the tin.
i will post my reviews after i play it for a while, thanks again

I think of the story line kinda like Kotor, your choice of Good vs. Evil.

Actually, something they expanded on in Mass Effect was the ability to earn both good ("Paragon") and bad ("Renegade") points concurrently. In theory, and unlike Star Wars, you can be light and dark at the same time!

And aside from the general "thousands of years ago there was a powerful alien race that built awesome technology," there's very little in common between the two storylines.

According to a recent article I was reading the sequel utilizes the save game from the first game. I'm going for a 100% playthrough in the next week when I have some solid time blocked off.

The thing I'm wondering with this revelation is, how many other games used the save from one game to another like WC?

-Rance-

Quite a few; it used to be a lot more common than it is today.

Heroes Quest/Quest for Glory was a big one in my memory.

I do recall the original Metal Gear Solid and it's GameCube remake had the boss Psycho Mantis checking to see if you have any Konami save games on you memory card, and he'd have a few things to say about some of the more popular games. (It was a cute thing to try and get in your head, and sortof worked - I did get a bit defensive when he accused me of saving to many times during Castelvania: SotN.)

Also, I remember reading one of the original drafts of the WC4 script, and there was a part where it had "IF YOU CHOSE RACHEL (or Flint) IN WC3", it'd play an appropriate clip explaining why they weren't around anymore. I'm not sure if it was a choice you made, or if they were thinking about looking for a previous savegame, but it was cut from the final product, ultimately.

interesting about WC4, i originally played through with picking Rachel, and WC4 explained why they were not together, didnt think it would look for a "save game" and know who you selected. Even if you picked Flint, doesn't she die at the end of WC3, during the mission on Kilrah?

Not if you choose not to take her with you. Though of course, I enjoyed taking only her as wingman just to ensure she wouldn't see the end of the war alive.

In the novel she dies but you pick Rachel anyway.

I wonder if they'll use the save from the first mass effect to work out how you played the major plot points like the death at Virmire and so on. I finished my 100% playthrough on Hardcore and I'm wondering how I managed so much paragon points despite being nearly 100% renegade.

-Rance-

great news, this game is amazing....no other words can describe it!
i have to get used to controls, but this is awsome!!!!!

ok, notes about mass effect 2, you can use your saved character from mass effect, the trailer is available to view and it should be released soon.

Back