Mark Hamill Article...

xflvandamme

Spaceman
I thought the piece done by CNN was truly an eye-opener when it comes to the career of Mark Hamill. It truly sucks when an actor of his caliber is reduced to being just type-casted forever, and the fact that his kids are now being discriminated a little bit for it shows how truly ignorant Hollywood has been of Mr. Hamill...

On a side note, notice how he says that his "best work is yet to come"? Perhaps "Wing Commander VI: Chris Blair Strikes Back" is on the horizon? Just a thought...

xflvandamme said:
On a side note, notice how he says that his "best work is yet to come"?

Usually a death-knell for a career. Edmund Gwyenn went through most of his career remembered as Herman Munster despite being an author and extremely talented painter. It wasn't until the mid-80s when he was pushing into his 60s that he got recognized as a damned good character actor. Then he did My Cousin Vinny and died from cancer.

Hamill? He was great in that one episode of Amazing Stories and that movie by the guy who directed Tron.

I thought it was Fred Gwyenn...

He was in My Cousin Vinnie. The movie, I mean.

LeHah said:
I said that already, Captain Obvious.

Too bad you got the name wrong, though.

Originally posted by LeHah, here
Edmund Gwyenn went through most of his career remembered as Herman Munster despite being an author and extremely talented painter.

Edmund is not equivalent to Fred in any language that I know of.

Yup. During its first season, seaQuest was one of the best TV shows ever. Unfortunately, Hamill appeared during its horribly retooled *second* season. (as evidenced by the fact that he played an alien which had disguised itself as a blind astronomer...:)).

And then Season 3 brought in Michael Ironside, which tends to be the deathknell of many science fiction films.

Oh, I do too. But his apperances in movies like Highlander 2, Total Recall and Starship Troopers really doesn't do much to endear me.

LeHah said:
Oh, I do too. But his apperances in movies like Highlander 2, Total Recall and Starship Troopers really doesn't do much to endear me.

Ugh! Yeah, I hear you on Highlander 2. However, as far as Total Recall and Starship Troopers, I think he actually made those movies better.

But wasn't he in the pilot of SeaQuest?

Nope - he was the replacement captain in the third season ("seaQuest 2032"). The third season was noticably better than the second, but it wasn't anything like the first. While the first season had episodes that you felt were unique because of the submarine setting, season 3 was basically underwater Star Trek - complete with lasers, time travel and giant robots.

(As for Michael Ironside, I respect the fact that he was one of the people who returned uncredited for Dr. Greene's funeral on ER a year or so back... he'd had a reoccuring role in the first season many years earlier.)

Bandit LOAF said:
...and giant robots.

Was it that episode where they traveled into the future to find that only two humans had survided who played against each other with these robot vs robot game thing? Those giant robots reminded me of MechWarrior. Perhaps that's why I liked that episode. ;)

Ah, the good ol' days of seaQuest. I miss that show, along with Exosquad, Robotech, and Battlestar Galactica.

Anyone remember the Lifetime movie where Hamill played the history teacher who couldn't get a girl (or was she killed off?)?

Back