Mark Dacascos Sighting of the Day

Antix

Rear Admiral
I wish I had the good common sense to use the camera phone I purchased not long ago, but those of you who remember Wing Commander IV will recall Mark Dacascos' role as 2nd Lt. Troy "Catscratch" Carter. I work a rental counter for Avis Rent-a-Car and Dcascos was in the Lafayette, LA area to work on the filming of a vampire movie. He was the last person I expected to show up to my small regional airport rental counter requesting that we add a GPS unit to his car rental.

I'd have to say that Mr. Dacascos is a very friendly, light-hearted, down to earth gentleman. He doesn't take himself too seriously, or his most widely-known contemporary role as The Chairman of Food Network's Iron Chef: America. He even made light of it by joking that all he has to do is throw out his hands and yell things like "Potatoes!" Wing Commander IV is (oddly enough) my favorite of the series and seeing one of the actors portraying my favorite characters, much less getting a chance to chat with him, was a real highlight of my day that I absolutely had to share with you all... for whatever it's worth.

I'll stop babbling now, however. I promise. Still grumbling that I forgot to ask his autograph or snap a photo.

Cool! I think he was best in "Brotherhood of the Wolf". He plays a tough guy that you don't want to mess with; quite the opposite of the character he plays in WCIV. Did you two discuss his role as Catscratch from WCIV?

We did actually. He seemed quite astonished that this was the particular role from which I remembered him. He asked how many times I'd gotten Catscratch killed. I told him I hadn't because I hadn't the heart to disappoint Sosa. Of course, this leaves out the fact that I did load a save and kill him once just to see the alternate cutscene. I wish I had thought to ask what it was like working with such a stellar cast like WCIV had, but I was too busy jumbling with the terminal system and being utterly nervous out of my mind to think of it. He told me that he'd given his brother a copy of the game to play through so he could see his movie clips in action, but he'd never gotten very far as he wasn't very good at the game. He said I must have been quite talented. I was amused. I suggested I might have just gone to the options and turned on the cheats... which of course I did when I was much younger and having excessive trouble but have no need of for some time now. I did have to stop myself talking though, or I might have ate up the rest of his evening with jibberish about Wing Commander.

That's a really cool experience. I think they probably get tons of people coming up to them talking about more famous things, so when you mention their Wing Commander roles that's interesting to them. Tom Wilson is totally jazzed when someone wants to talk to him about something other than Back to the Future.

I imagine most actors are as well, when asked about their less famous roles.

Awesome experience nonetheless, Antix. :)

By his interviews, it seems to me that Tom really liked his role as Maniac and has genuine affection for the character.

That's a really cool experience. I think they probably get tons of people coming up to them talking about more famous things, so when you mention their Wing Commander roles that's interesting to them. Tom Wilson is totally jazzed when someone wants to talk to him about something other than Back to the Future.

I dunno, my brother went to a Star Trek convention a few weeks ago and asked Malcolm McDowell a Wing Commander question and his response was "BORING! Boring question!"

I dunno, my brother went to a Star Trek convention a few weeks ago and asked Malcolm McDowell a Wing Commander question and his response was "BORING! Boring question!"

Maybe he was in character as WC3 intro Tolwyn. :p

Back