Maps

SoulSkorpion

Spaceman
I've been mucking around with the WC maps recently (printing out, examining, etc). I notice in the Avalon System, Challenger Quadrant that Baroda, Sheol and "Deep Space" appear. I know these come from the story in the Privateer manual, but I was wondering why they've all been included as seperate systems. In particular, I was wondering why there is a jump line to somewhere-that-may-or-may-not-be-a-system.

The only system the story actually mentions by name is Troy in Gemini. "Sheol" is only ever mentioned as being the name of the space station (the system it is in is mentioned only as "Sheol's system", rather than "the Sheol system").

"Baroda" is likewise mentioned as a planet (" 'We were supposed to meet back on Baroda for a drink' ") - there's no indication of where it is, other than that it's probably not in the same system as Sheol.

Finally, the Retro Talons didn't necessarily jump in from some unknown system. The story mentions that there was a series of X-rays, identified as being transmissions, all between Sheol station and the asteroids (being communications between the traitor and the rest of the Retros). When they attack, the Retros seem to be coming out of hiding places in the asteroids. It seems simple enough that they could have jumped in-system from anywhere and set up a base of some sort in the asteroid field, in preparation for attacking Sheol.

So... were there any other canon sources of these locations?

Last edited by a moderator:
A certain number of planet/system/station names are used somewhat interchangeably. You might refer to Locanda IV as Locanda because that's convenient, even though Locanda is technically the star. I hear a lot of people refer to planet FT957 as Telamon. The Akwende Projection is also an interesting thing in that it's not an exact star chart. It's meant to demonstrate jump lines rather than actual positions of star systems relative to each other.

Back