maniac's rank

I have an idea.

How many of you saw star trek generations?

There was a scene where kirk was talking to picard, and he said: "Don't ever let them promotee you..." Mainly because you would be sent to a desk job. And we all know how maniac is. Maybe, he got tired of all of the responsibility, decided he didn't like it after all, and wanted his old rank back. What you guys think?

Maniac has a similar scene in Prophecy -- "Hey, Casey, listen. You take my advice, all right? They're giving you the medals. You rake them in. When they want you to be squadron commander you tell them to shove it! All right? All right. Chalk up another one for the Maniac."

Nice evaluation form pendell! :)

Sadly, I'd have to agree with your comments on Maniac's behalf...

"What are we celebrating?"
"My voluntary demotion. I am no longer a squadron commander."

Clearly, he did not like the responsibility.

He certainly didn't seem to cope very well with it. That snippet of conversation between him and the CAG seemed to indicate that he would have gotten an involuntary demotion soon enough.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
It's sort of a mix... the rank structure is from today's Air Force -- but you won't find the Air Force today serving off of a carrier (G)

Heh. Not in the normal run of things, anyway. During the Falklands War though, Royal Air Force Harriers and their pilots operated off the British carriers, right alongside the Sea Harrier pilots from the Fleet Air Arm.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
I would rather consider the fighter pilots and so on as offshots of the Air Force and large vessel's crew as members of the Navy. Does not Victory Streak say so?

But you forget that Bear was a commander and then was promoted to captain, so it seems some wc pilots are navy some are not

Two Things:

- Don't the united states have the USNAF?
- Maniac IS brave. He is also brainless but if you check out the WC3 manual, there's a reporter facing Maniac and Blair with some questions and when she asks whats the procedure when atacking a large enemy vessel Maniac say something like: "Tell your wingman to go home and atack with full lasers and missiles, head-on". Something like that.

Originally posted by Shooter
Two Things:

- Don't the united states have the USNAF?

US Naval air? Sure do. They're part of the USN, though,
and not a separate service.

- Maniac IS brave. He is also brainless but if you check out the WC3 manual, there's a reporter facing Maniac and Blair with some questions and when she asks whats the procedure when atacking a large enemy vessel Maniac say something like: "Tell your wingman to go home and atack with full lasers and missiles, head-on". Something like that.

Well ... maybe you're right. Certainly he's got no
problem charging the entire Kilrathi Navy head-on. I gave
him low marks for courage because A) The WC4 game has
"low courage" listed as one of his stats and B) In both
WC3 and WC4 games I have played, he (and Flash in WC3)
is usually
the first one to start screaming "We can't win this one,
Ace!" usually followed by "Ha-ha! SEE ya!" leaving me
in the lurch. I've almost never had that happen with
any other pilot.

BTW, I still have a question: When Blair was teasing
Maniac about his Confed promotion (which he wouldn't get
now that he'd defected to the Border worlds), was he teasing
Maniac? Or had Maniac really been promoted?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Originally posted by Shooter

Actually, the questions were being asked to Maniac and Flint. Flint, of course, takes the "by the book" approach while Maniac...uses the "Maniac" approach.

He was teasing Maniac -- when Maniac returned to Confed, he was promoted *for* his actions in the Border Worlds.

Napoleon, Bear was CFR (Commissioned from Ranks). It is the same process as used today in the military forces. For example, in the Canadian military a non-commisioned member (private, corporal, sargeant, etc.) can become a commisioned member (captain, major, etc) through the CFR. In the future it seems that pilots can get CFR to command crew if the situation warrants it.

But you forget that Bear was a commander and then was promoted to captain, so it seems some wc pilots are navy some are not

Plus we see quite clearly in Action Stations that navy officers do become pilots (eg Tolwyn and Richards.) I'd guess that Naval Aviation still exists in the future, though its importance and numbers aboard carriers are reduced to accomodate the Space Force.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Wedge009
"What are we celebrating?"
"My voluntary demotion. I am no longer a squadron commander."

Clearly, he did not like the responsibility.

Alternately though, that could simply have been a "those grapes were probably sour, anyway" type comment. He was trying to put the best face on his demotion by implying he wanted it.

Best, Raptor

No, I think it fits to Maniac's character to avoid as much responsibility as possible. The only thing that matters for him is to fly (and being the best at it).
Although, it is true that Maniac is very good at hiding his emotions behind a lot of hot air. But his heart is basically in the right place. <g>

Maniac's the gutsiest guy I know. He'll happily charge destroyers (as attested to in the WC3 manuel Victory Streak , the same interview where he talked about having his "wingbuddy" do the same thing he does), and not only survive, but take them down. His problem is not everyone's as lucky as him.

Originally posted by pendell

When Blair was teasing
Maniac about his Confed promotion (which he wouldn't get
now that he'd defected to the Border worlds), was he teasing
Maniac? Or had Maniac really been promoted?

"I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you"

-Blair to Maniac at the beginning of WingIV, after his little chat with the Admiral

By the way, the marines ARE part of the Navy, right? Not that Dekker'd admit to it or anything, but I beleive the marines are a Navy offshoot of the Army, in the same way that carrier fliers are the Navy offshoot of the USAF. Except, what about Marine pilots?

I don't think there's any reason to assume Maniac is an entirely 2D charicature -- give him the benefit of the doubt, as long as we aren't told anything to the contrary.

Yeah, the Marines are part of the Navy.

Back