Man, I miss Wing Commander.

UCFKevin

Rear Admiral
The atmosphere in Wing Commander III and IV are so excellent, probably the best I've ever played in a game of any sorts. The way it almost FEELS like you're there. You get to know your fellow pilots. You get in fights. You have laughs. You have drinks. It's all so wonderful, so fun. Very involving and absorping.

I miss that.

Playing WC3 today for the first time in years, it reminded me how awesome it was to play that game for the first time and have it kinda feel like I was actually in the game. I remember wanting to be IN the actual game so badly, wanting to experience everything that happens in the game. I'd never played any other WC game, so WC3 was my intro to the universe and I loved it.

Then Wing Commander IV came along. Oh man...what an event that was for me. My mom let me take the day off from school the day I got WCIV because she ran a flower company at the time, and I got it on Valentine's Day, which is the busiest time for flower companies, so rather than take me to school and pick me up, she just let me stay home. So I spent ALL day playing WCIV, and as pathetic as it is to say this, it was one of the best days of my life. Just sitting there, getting back into the WC universe, feeling like I was there, only MORE so this time, it was just unbelievable. Almost indescribable. I'll never forget how heartbroken I was when Vagabond was killed. I damn near cried. My mom was like, "I don't blame you for being sad, it's like a really involving movie, isn't it?" Kinda cool for her to get it. What an excellent game that way. Awesome story. Awesome gameplay. Awesome movies, it was all just awesome. My favorite game of all time.

Wing Commander Prophecy was pretty good, but not as good as the other two. I REALLY liked the movie angles of the previous two, so to have WCP stray away from that and focus more on the game was a little disappointing, ESPECIALLY when you don't even play the illustrious Blair anymore. It was still fun and the gameplay was awesome, but something was missing.

I had so hoped for another WC game after that, to really find out Blair was alive and well and we'd rescue him, but I guess that'll never happen. If another WC game IS made, I dunno where in the timeline it'll fit. Might be cool to have a game start off RIGHT before the Kilrathi War begins and you learn the chops and start off the war and fly the first battles. Could be very cool if it's well done.

I miss Wing Commander. I hope it comes back sometime soon. The games nowadays are so uninvolving, it's all just about pretty looks and shooting the crap out of everything. I miss plot, I miss getting to know the other characters in the game. I miss stuff like that.

<sigh>

Originally posted by UCFKevin
Then Wing Commander IV came along. Oh man...what an event that was for me. My mom let me take the day off from school the day I got WCIV because she ran a flower company at the time, and I got it on Valentine's Day, which is the busiest time for flower companies, so rather than take me to school and pick me up, she just let me stay home. So I spent ALL day playing WCIV, and as pathetic as it is to say this, it was one of the best days of my life. Just sitting there, getting back into the WC universe, feeling like I was there, only MORE so this time, it was just unbelievable. Almost indescribable.

Just don't forget what that was like and we'll be fine. For me WC4 was a solid week of immersion. I believe I got the game Monday and played every day after school. Nonstop from after school until very late at night. I dreamed about the game, I thought about it all day at school, then I raced home to play. On Friday or so when I actually finished it, I nearly collapsed. I was so exhausted.. then I felt numb. It was great.

Wing Commander Prophecy was pretty good, but not as good as the other two. I had so hoped for another WC game after that, to really find out Blair was alive and well and we'd rescue him, but I guess that'll never happen. I miss Wing Commander. I hope it comes back sometime soon.

If you haven't tried it yet, Secret Ops picks up after Prophecy. And if you haven't heard, they're currently porting and improving Prophecy for the Game Boy Advance now. If that does well, it might mean good things for future games.

Re: Re: Man, I miss Wing Commander.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
Just don't forget what that was like and we'll be fine. For me WC4 was a solid week of immersion. I believe I got the game Monday and played every day after school. Nonstop from after school until very late at night. I dreamed about the game, I thought about it all day at school, then I raced home to play. On Friday or so when I actually finished it, I nearly collapsed. I was so exhausted.. then I felt numb. It was great.

WC4 appeared at my house on a Saturday... I sat down and read the novel excerpt with my family looking at me oddly (who the hell reads the documentation that comes with games?) and had the game finished by Sunday night... I barely came up for air all weekend... although I did sleep, so I probably could have tried harder :)

Wc4 and Wc1 have the best atmosphear.I think that Wc3 hasnt.Its a great WC but with no atmoshpear :(

Thats my opinion.

I got Wc4 at Christmas!I finished it 3 times then cause I wanted to see all the endings

don't we all

I remember the first time i played WCIV. I got it around noon, went back to my house and installed it, played it, finally beating it. I remember being dissapointed at how short I thought it was, but then i looked at the clock and realized i had stayed up all day, night and most of the next morning! i didn't realise how much time had passed. that's how involved i got into the game.
my personal favorite is WC3. though 1 & 2 have a better atmosphere, i felt that WC3 was the best of the WC series.

After i beat WC4 i mailed a letter i typed to origin thanking them for a great game........... They sent me a letter back saying they thanked me for playing it and stuff then they said hey did you know there are more endings? and i though holy crap so i did some research and bam it was cool that Origin wrote me back i wish i still had the letter i would show it too you guys.........:)

The atmosphere in Wing Commander III and IV are so excellent, probably the best I've ever played in a game of any sorts. The way it almost FEELS like you're there. You get to know your fellow pilots. You get in fights. You have laughs. You have drinks. It's all so wonderful, so fun. Very involving and absorping.

I miss that.

Yeah, and I miss, um, well I think you can guess.

Playing WC3 today for the first time in years, it reminded me how awesome it was to play that game for the first time and have it kinda feel like I was actually in the game. I remember wanting to be IN the actual game so badly, wanting to experience everything that happens in the game. I'd never played any other WC game, so WC3 was my intro to the universe and I loved it.

Then Wing Commander IV came along. Oh man...what an event that was for me. My mom let me take the day off from school the day I got WCIV because she ran a flower company at the time, and I got it on Valentine's Day, which is the busiest time for flower companies, so rather than take me to school and pick me up, she just let me stay home. So I spent ALL day playing WCIV, and as pathetic as it is to say this, it was one of the best days of my life. Just sitting there, getting back into the WC universe, feeling like I was there, only MORE so this time, it was just unbelievable. Almost indescribable. I'll never forget how heartbroken I was when Vagabond was killed. I damn near cried. My mom was like, "I don't blame you for being sad, it's like a really involving movie, isn't it?" Kinda cool for her to get it. What an excellent game that way. Awesome story. Awesome gameplay. Awesome movies, it was all just awesome. My favorite game of all time.

Now you see why, when I was younger, I was freaked by Secret Missions. I swear, it gave me nightmares. This actually still happens, I had one just last night.

I REALLY liked the movie angles of the previous two, so to have WCP stray away from that and focus more on the game was a little disappointing, ESPECIALLY when you don't even play the illustrious Blair anymore.

Actually, I rather like games where you're not some war hero or last great hope, but part of a team doing it's job. Think SWAT 3 or the Tom Clancy games. One of the reasons I like the earlier games so much, you weren't so reveared like Blair wasin the later games.

I miss Wing Commander. I hope it comes back sometime soon. The games nowadays are so uninvolving, it's all just about pretty looks and shooting the crap out of everything. I miss plot, I miss getting to know the other characters in the game. I miss stuff like that.

I was actually working on saying something along these lines. One of the things I like about Wing Commander, and Metal Gear and Final Fantasy as examples, is how three dimensional the characters are. They all have their hopes, their dreams and fears. No one is perfect. No one. Not even Spirit, who can be obsessed with death at times. Other games don't really allow for that sort of character depth. Rogue Spear, for example, is a great game, but I would have liked to have known, say, Kure Galanos a little better. But that's really par for the course for Tom Clancy. Resident Evil is alright in that regard, and it's one of my favourite all time games, but it still doesn't come close.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
...when I actually finished it, I nearly collapsed. I was so exhausted.. then I felt numb. It was great.

I was the same.

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
Wc4 and Wc1 have the best atmosphear.I think that Wc3 hasnt.Its a great WC but with no atmoshpear :(

Thats my opinion.

I think so too. Explains a little why I was scarred shitless by, well I think you know by now. Anyway, I thought WC3 had loads of atmosphere. TPOF seemed souless in comparison, but it was certainly an enjoyable game, and the tension was in stopping a war, which can be more frightening than actually being in one.

I borrowed WC3 from my friend after being plesantly surprised by WC2 (Didn't beat it, just play it). HotT was incredible, though I screwed up on the "tanker" mission that ends Disc 1 a few times, since the tankers don't automaticly get targeted as enemy craft.

I love WC3 with a mad passion and remains one of my 3 all-time favorite games.

WC4 came out a day or so after I beat 3, but I was too broke to buy it. I had to borrow a WC game again (after many weeks of badgering him) and dashed through it right quick. I think it took me only a week and a half to beat it, though I was stuck on the "Nebula" mission for almost a full day.

I was introduced to the world of WC pretty much at the beginning...my uncle bought WC1 back in 1990, when I was 12, and let me play it some. I was hooked, addicted almost immediately. Even though WC1 didn't have much of a plot beyond that of the Vega Campaign itself, it was still easy for me to get caught up in the system-hopping feel of progress against a fearsome enemy. When WC2 came out, that was when I got completely immersed...I missed out on the Secret Missions until I lucked up on a copy of Kilrathi Saga, so I was completely unprepared to see the Tiger's Claw get blown away by the stealth fighters in WC2's intro sequence. I was upset and pissed off and very much ready for payback...since my dad wouldn't let me install big games on his computer, the only time I could play WC2 was on my uncle's PC, so I'd engineer excuses to go over there and then spend 8 hours straight desperately trying to get as far along as I could in a single sitting.

By the time WC3 came along, I had easier access to a computer that would run it, and was able to play it at a more leisurely pace and really enjoy it. The atmosphere, so dark and forlorn, so lonely at times (cruising past the Kilrathi Home Fleet on the way to bomb Kilrah comes to mind) was very cool, but for me, the experience of playing the games after WC2 couldn't compete with it, simply because there wasn't that need to finish, that drive to get to the end...I had visions of Ralathas and K'tithrak Mang dancing through my head for the better part of a year.

after owning and playing all of the games, (still have yet to finish SWC mac, and the armada/academy gauntlets) I've gotta say they all kick ass, hard to pick a fav but wc2 is up in the top 3 WC2 was not only involving it's STILL throwing me surprises... i've replayed wc2 at least 3 times now, and each time I notice something new in the game which is AWESOME. No other game I've ever played has done that. nopt freespace, not X-wing alliance etc watching spirit crash into that base tore me up literally. I wanted to kick the shit out of the entire kilrathi fleet. Privateer is to THIS DAY the MOST ENTERTAINING game I've ever played. I will never get over how well executed that game was even though it IS lacking some features it was brilliantly executed. blowing up kilrah was insane I ran around the house yelling for ages and noone seemed to understand why.... that is the tragedy... very few people understand WC at least in my family noone really does. it SHITS me that noone around me understands how the games make you involved.

Believe me, I know about how games can draw you in so deeply. You already know about Spirit. Well, after Heaven's Gate, I showed the Kilrathi no mercy. I hopped and popped, shooted and looted, maimed, pillaged, slaughtered and burned for weeks. And, I wish there was a way to edit the game so even if Angel tries to stop you, you can blow away kont Colson anyway. Final Fantasy is another great example. Most people simply wanted to slice off that phoqhead Sephiroth's head off and hand it outside Midger. For those who already know, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, just take my word that he earned his position as the worst bad guy in a game ever. And being able to scream 'Doom on you, Kilrah' as I exacted revenge in HOTT? I was Jordan winning the NBA Title. I was McMahon defeating the WCW. The oppotunity to fry a taunting Thrakhath was truely a sweet thing to behold.

Originally posted by Darkmage
very few people understand WC at least in my family noone really does. it SHITS me that noone around me understands how the games make you involved.

:(.Thats true.All my friends know how much I like WC and I dream of it and I study about WC more than my Univercity !

None of my friends like any WC,but they have never actually played it.If they do,they ll get hooked just like us.

Why don't they play Wing Commander? I make every employee I've had for more than a year go through an introductory on WC3.

Well, I got every WC , I let them choose anyone they like to play but they play for a minute only,they dont want anymore,I call them home to see the WCA series and the Movie I talk to them all day about WC but.........Man I m the only in my country that loves it ? :(

They all play CounterStrike and Warcraft3 !:mad:

Back