Making Wing Commander Academy VCDs

ourchair

Spaceman
Need some help, guys.

Shortly before Ulyssis.Org took stopped hosting the Wing Commander Academy cartoon, I managed to download a few episodes and now I want to watch them on TV. Does anyone know how to convert and burn DivX videos onto CDs so they are viewable as VCDs on a regular VCD player?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Simply converting a file to mpeg and dumping it on a CDR (or CDRW if your player supports them) will probably work.

If you want to make an actual VCD or don't know how to convert AVI to MPEG, http://www.doom9.org/ should have some good walkthroughs under Guides > VCD.

Uhm no, Chris.
While it is correct that VideoCDs use MPEG, it has to be a special MPEG format (bitrate/resolution).
Download Tmpegenc. It has the needed settings predefined.
Also just burning the files onto a normal PC CD won't work. There is a special VCD format that should be available in about every CD-Burning program

Nero -> Nero Wizard -> Make Video CD -> Select files -> Voila

You can even make Photo CD´s with it. I don't know if it handles AVI's, but i'll try.

There is also Ace Video Workshop ( http://www.avi2vcd.net/avi_to_vcd.htm ). It's really easy to use. You just have to select your video, choose a name for the output file, select format (VCD Pal or Ntsc) and click the start button.
It's a shareware, but I don't know if there are limitation if it's not registered.
I hope that helps.

cff said:
Uhm no, Chris.
While it is correct that VideoCDs use MPEG, it has to be a special MPEG format (bitrate/resolution).
Download Tmpegenc. It has the needed settings predefined.

Where do I get TmpegEnc?

K1nG Gr4H4m said:
There is also Ace Video Workshop ( http://www.avi2vcd.net/avi_to_vcd.htm ). It's really easy to use. You just have to select your video, choose a name for the output file, select format (VCD Pal or Ntsc) and click the start button.
It's a shareware, but I don't know if there are limitation if it's not registered.
I hope that helps.

Proof that I don't know crap about these things, but I must ask: While it directly converts these AVIs to VCD format, does it work properly with those that are encoded with DiVX codecs or do I need to convert the file first or something? I already have the necessary codecs to view the WCA files, btw.

I don't think you need more codecs or need to convert them first. It should work by converting them directly from DivX to VCD in the program itself (Avi to Vcd). I tried one episode and it worked fine for me.

Tmpgenc is available at: www.tmpgenc.com

K1nG Gr4H4m said:
I don't think you need more codecs or need to convert them first. It should work by converting them directly from DivX to VCD in the program itself (Avi to Vcd). I tried one episode and it worked fine for me.

Tmpgenc is available at: www.tmpgenc.com

I used Ace to convert the files, but since I don't have a license it only converts half the data specified.

Which is fine, because I can work around it by putting episode 1 and 2 together and then converting it which gives me a 21 minute file that has episode 1 and like, 30 seconds worth of the opening credits of the second episode. Then I converted episode 2 and 3 which gave me 21 minutes again with a few seconds of the episode 3 intro squashed in. It'll be awkward viewing but it manages.

In any case, does this mean whether or not I use Tmpgenc or Ace, the resulting Mpeg can be burned using the Nero VCD option?

Yes, you can burn almost any mpeg with nero with the vcd option. As long as the ratio is good. (I think it's 320x240 ) .
Nero will tell you if the movie doesn't have the right ratio, codec or anything else.

Back