Making the Games: Wing Commander 2 Character Pitch (August 11, 2012)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Ah, the Wing Commander 2 pilots: Iceman, Minx, Turbo, Tomcat, Cirocco, Bogey... wait, what?! This fascinating document, glimpsed in the Wing Commander I & II Ultimate Strategy Guide, introduces us to the characters Ellen Guon and Stephen Beeman initially imagined for Wing Commander 2. As with the script, there is a LOT here that didn't make it into the finished game!

--
Original update published on August 11, 2012

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like some of what was meant for Iceman got transferred to Stingray. The romance between Bluehair and Angel was more subtle in the final release than what's suggested here, and Spirit originally had two fiancés: first one died previously, second was the one imprisoned on Heaven's Gate.

Edit: Whoops, reading the script outline, looks like the first one is the one who is still imprisoned, the second one elsewhere. Confusing.

Interesting that Hobbes was originally meant to fly a Kilrathi fighter. Probably a good thing that idea was rejected - wouldn't make sense for Confed to maintain Kilrathi fighters just for the rebels, and it's even more doubtful that they would have a reliable supply of Kilrathi ships (Thrakhath orders Ghorah Khar's shipyards destroyed upon hearing of the rebellion).

The callsign Minx is first used here, but apparently for a completely different character who never made it to the final game.

Prince Thrakhath is given a nickname!

Lots of interesting stuff here, even if it didn't make it to the released version.

The callsign Minx is first used here, but apparently for a completely different character who never made it to the final game.
I think there's some strong similarities between the SO2 Minx and this character - it's clear that when they designed SO2, they had this Minx in mind, even if they made some extensive adjustments.

Prince Thrakhath is given a nickname!

Tolwyn and Thrakhath are MUCH more interesting in this early stuff. Specifically the idea that they are the best at what they do rather than stuffed shirts the player/narrative has to take the air out of. That lives on to Wing Commander 2, but dies quickly afterwards.

Thrakhath does get a different nickname on Wing Commander Academy, though: "Prince Thrakhath nar Kiranka, the Fang of Sivar, Destroyer of Worlds."

Well, I suppose Mandarin Minx is just as antagonistic as draft WC2 Minx, even if she buries it underneath an attraction towards Blair.

As for Tolwyn, Sparks does affirm the Admiral's credentials as a 'fine commander' when she first meets Blair, but I don't think we see much more beyond that. I suppose we don't see Thrahkath seen in a very positive light at all, in terms of competency in command.

As for Tolwyn, Sparks does affirm the Admiral's credentials as a 'fine commander' when she first meets Blair, but I don't think we see much more beyond that. I suppose we don't see Thrahkath seen in a very positive light at all, in terms of competency in command.

Tolwyn was nicely nuanced in Wing Commander II... it wasn't a case of all the 'good' characters hating him and supporting you. Everyone--Angel, Paladin, Sparks--made a point of the fact that Tolwyn was actually a very good commander.

Thrakhath is actually introduced in Secret Missions 2 as something like 'possibly their best fighter pilot.' And I think he remains competant through WC2... especially in the addons where we end them learning that what we saw in the game was just a diversion he planned to keep the Concordia busy while he won some bigger battle.

Oh yeah, I hadn't considered it from that angle. I was thinking of Khasra's insolence after the loss of K'tithrak Mang (granted, he has a biased perspective since he's jealous of his cousin's position). And yes, of course, several of Blair's closest friends from the Claw both support him and yet still vouch for Tolwyn. I really need to refresh my memory of the WC1/2 stories and all its subtleties.

Back