Making the Games: Twilight Purchase Artwork (November 23, 2008)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Here's an even stranger treat - a 'FMV quality' version of the oft-forgotten civilian cruise liner model. This ship never really shined in the game - for whatever reason you just never get a good idea of what it looks like. Here, though, it's absolutely magnificent - opulant and elegant as described in the fiction.

Thanks to Captain Johnny for both archiving and providing this material!

--
Original update published on November 23, 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, it really looks like an opulent cruise liner, the colours are great. And it is one of the best features to bring an universe to life. Its unconventional design just added to its futuristic look.

LOAF said it right when he said in SO you never got to really appreciate the looks of this ship. It just seemed so damn big that it was hard to get a nice angle on it.

It looks gorgeous here. Certainly something Tolwyn's more traditional relatives relished in. :D

This was such a great moment from Secret ops. It was almost like we had a first glimpse into the Wing Commander universe beyond the military. I mean, post war, people are paying big bucks to cruise around the galaxy!

Also, I loved it because it was similar to a story I had come up with in grade nine about some intergalactic cruise ship captains...

Thanks for sharing these shots of that ship! As others have said, you don't get much of an opportunity to admire the moments rescuing the luxury liner.

P.S. - Kudos to the other Prophecy artworks as well. Three cheers for the dedication!

you know, ever since i played secret ops i couldn't help but notice the obscene side view of this ship. not to be immature or anything, it's just that seeing its sillouette (side view), makes me feel uneasy.

you know, ever since i played secret ops i couldn't help but notice the obscene side view of this ship. not to be immature or anything, it's just that seeing its sillouette (side view), makes me feel uneasy.

Wing Commander is full of phallic ships. Longbows, Clydesdales, Clarksons, Southhamptons, Tallahassees, Behemoths, Caernarvons, Murphys, the list goes on and on.

One of the things I really hate about the modern era is how people insist on seeing phallic imagery everywhere. It's not even immaturity, it's a really stupid obsession.

Wing Commander is full of phallic ships. Longbows, Clydesdales, Clarksons, Southhamptons, Tallahassees, Behemoths, Caernarvons, Murphys, the list goes on and on.

None of those are "phallic", and neither is the luxury liner.

One of the things I really hate about the modern era is how people insist on seeing phallic imagery everywhere. It's not even immaturity, it's a really stupid obsession.

It's all Giger's fault, he made space-penises cool! :p

None of those are "phallic", and neither is the luxury liner.

There's an argument to be made about the behemoth... None of the others (and certainly not the twilight purchase) strike me that way.

I don't think they're phallic per se, just that if he considers Twilight Purchase phallic, then a lot of ships are.

I agree, but I can't blame it on the times -- you'll find that sort of thing about as far back as you can go in literary criticism.

Back