Major victory in Standoff?

I saw a cloud in the sky today that looked like a Rigakh missile cruiser from the game. Should I have been worried? ;)

I don't know...I mean it sound difficult, but if you think about it:
If you lose WC1 or SM1 the Confederation is likely to lose the war in short order and you won't even get to WC2. Likewise you can't lose WC3 and continue the war.

If you lose SM2 then, well that's really a minor defeat, however horrendous the situation is for the Firekka. The situation could well be essentially identical by the time of WC2 ten years later.

WC2's winning and losing endings are fairly similar, it's just than the major Confed victory happens closer to Sol in the losing case. This may actually matter, but I doubt it, since Vukar Tag is away on the other side of the Galaxy from Enigma so everything that happens post-WC2 can probably still happen.

If you lose WC1, the claw still survives, there is no reason why it could not "charge" onto the K'tithrak Mang base sometime later. Some pilots would have to be "fixed" however, that they would have been picked up bij S&R and you would have been notified in debriefing. either on the losing path or winning path of WC2 you can still "win" either way and play through, promotions, confrontations with Thrakhath, all remain thesame. On WC3 you would close the story because when you are on the losing path, Blair dies no matter what.

I guess my game must have had a glitch because I successfully protected the Leyte Gulf (i.e., it never got destroyed in the missions I saw it in), and yet it wasn't in the Confed fleet group you see after completing the final mission (on the 'best' ending path).

No, the Gulf is not ever shown as part of that fleet, as far as I recall.

Edit: Scratch that. I may be thinking of one of the other carriers that was mentioned in the discussion about the final fleet composition in the Standoff forums.

Tolwyn was always evil.

There are so many things wrong with this statement that I don't even know where to start.

CT25 said:
Is there any chance Tolwyn might not go 'evil' if the best victory scenario here occured?

Perhaps if it led to a quick end to the war. That would put an end to the plotters.

I didn't really want to reply to this hypothesis lest we get into yet another full-blown discussion of the right and wrongs of Tolwyn's actions. Yet, I suppose this may not necessarily be a bad thing.

I just want to say that my feeling is that since the Kilrathi came so close to conquering Earth, Tolwyn may very well feel that Humanity as a whole is still unprepared to face the next big threat, regardless of how well the Confederation did in the Standoff campaign. Yet, if one of the major catalysts for his decision to initiate the Black Lance was the Behemoth debacle (and the Behemoth was only pushed into service prematurely because of the Battle of Earth as it plays out in Fleet Action), then a swift victory in Standoff possibly would sway Tolwyn from doing what he did.

Of course, this is all moot, since what happens, happens, and there's no way to change that. :)

Semi-on topic, but wasn't it during Fleet Action that the supposed Omega battleships were being developed? Or am I remembering that wrong?

More like "stealth carriers" according to FA.

The quote from Fleet Action is that they're more like battleships than carriers.

The Kilrathi had gone through incredible expense and effort to start the secret building of a new class of carriers, if indeed what flimsy information intel had been able to dig up so far was true. The Confederation was doing the same thing. It was not so much a super carrier along the lines of suspected Kilrathi design, but more a stealth, heavily armored battlewagon with upgraded shielding that was proof against medium-yield antimatter warheads. There were rumors as well of a super weapon to be carried on the new ship, but that was an even darker secret.

Thanks. Just remembered from the top of my head that stealth aspect...sort of forgot those other minor details :p

I just want to say that my feeling is that since the Kilrathi came so close to conquering Earth, Tolwyn may very well feel that Humanity as a whole is still unprepared to face the next big threat, regardless of how well the Confederation did in the Standoff campaign. Yet, if one of the major catalysts for his decision to initiate the Black Lance was the Behemoth debacle (and the Behemoth was only pushed into service prematurely because of the Battle of Earth as it plays out in Fleet Action), then a swift victory in Standoff possibly would sway Tolwyn from doing what he did.

This is just alternate history speculation, but possible a way for Tolwyn to have a more noble ending would be for Behemoth to have been completed and successfully fires on Kilrah, but the Kilrathi take it down before it can escape (this assumes Tolwyn was aboard...a captain going down with the ship so to speak).

Back