Madden Curse Strikes Again (November 17, 2005)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
There's been a buzz for the last few years as people have noticed the cover athletes featured on the annual Madden NFL releases have suffered unusual bad luck. Electronic Arts' cover announcement is highly anticipated each year, and the selected athlete typically considers it quite an honor. Donovan McNabb, pictured on the front of Madden 2006, is the latest to suffer from the supposed curse. On Monday night McNabb sustained a serious "groin injury" that will likely need surgery before long. Whatever luck the real life players sustain, EA is having a great time with its football franchises and exclusive NFL & AFL licenses. This year's Madden sold more than 1.7 million copies in its first week alone. In addition to its NCAA College game, it will debut two new series in the spring of 2006: Arena Football and NFL Heach Coach, a strategic fantasy football simulation. EA now controls 75% of the North American sports game market, up from 68% last year. Sports titles account for roughly a quarter of video games sold. EA shipped five titles for the new XBox 360 this week, bringing the number of platforms supporting Madden 06 to nine.
  • Ray Lewis, Ravens, 2004 Season: The linebacker is probably the NFL's most-feared defensive player, but he breaks a wrist and plays below his own high standards.
  • Michael Vick, Falcons, 2003 Season: The elusive Atlanta quarterback suffers a broken leg in the preseason and misses the first 11 games of the regular season.
  • Marshall Faulk, Rams, 2002 Season: Regarded as the most-talented player in the NFL, the running back misses six starts and his stats drop off dramatically.
  • Daunte Culpepper, Vikings, 2001 Season: The Minnesota quarterback misses the final five games of the season after he suffers a sprained left knee and has surgery.
  • Eddie George, Titans, 2000 Season: The running back escapes injury. But Tennessee, a Super Bowl favorite, is ousted from the playoffs when he has a key fumble.

--
Original update published on November 17, 2005

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to take this the wrong way...but I never have liked the Madden Football game. I've played the various versions since 1995 to the latest 2006 (may have missed one or two along the way). Still hasn't impressed me. I much preferred Microsoft's NFL Fever for realistic simulation and NFL Blitz for just fun arcade football.

I think this is just a new variation on an old urban legend -- Snopes.com lists the same thing for Sports Illustrated covers and Chunky Soup advertisements.

Hmm.... I really liked my copy of Dynamix's Front Page Sports: Football (I had the first edition). It was a really neat game.

The Curse is great since is never has involved a Seahawk. Madden is probably the best pure football expirience out there. It isn't for your typical fan because you can't just pick it up and be good at it. "I figured if it could teach and spread the fun of football than I'd be happy with it, but I never imagined it would be so big. So now it's an honor to have my name attached to it, where in the beggining I wasn't so sure." -John Madden

I'm a Seahawks fan, so I won't believe in the curse until it happens to someone on my team.

-Rance-

vindicator said:
The Curse is great since is never has involved a Seahawk.
Of course, you know that really just means that EA has never considered any Seahawk to be good enough to put on the cover of their best-selling football game.

Quarto said:
Of course, you know that really just means that EA has never considered any Seahawk to be good enough to put on the cover of their best-selling football game.

Quite so...have they ever gone past the first round in the playoffs? I still remember when they lost to Miami and then Miami got thumped by my Jaguars the next week 62-7.

This could be Seattle's year to get deep in the post-season. They are one of the better teams in the NFC, they're in a weak division, and Shaun Alexander is having a career year. I hope for Seattle that Hasselbeck doesn't screw it up.

McNabb will be back as strong as ever next season, curse or not. He is a great QB and a fierce competitor.

Never tried any of the Madden games. He is annoying enough as an announcer- sort of the David Hartman of prime time football. I do wonder what will happen to Madden and Michaels once Monday Night Football goes to ESPN.

Have any of you tried Blitz: The League?

A long suffering Seahawks fan who hopes you are right there, we'll know when the colts come to seattle in december. Blitz: The League is pretty great for those that liked the old NFL Blitz series, with loads of great add ins. As was said earlier, I want Mcnabb to come back next year as well. He's one of the better QBs and all around great guys in the league. Shawn Alexander has carried the Seahawks on his back while our number one Recievers were out injured. If anyone made the cover it might be him. Another debate: Who is the next curse....I mean cover going to have?

Personally, I think it could be Payton Manning.

-Rance-

Back