LucasArts is no more

Sylvester

Vice Admiral
Well, my friends, it looks like we get to see the same sad story about the death of a storied game developer. Disney just announced that they have cancelled all of LucasArts' internal projects and laid off its entire staff. Apparently, any future games will just use the LucasArts name as a publisher but be developed externally. Among the cancelled titles is Star Wars: 1313.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...-is-dead-disney-cancels-games-in-development/

Oh, this isn't so bad. I mean really, I would have responded quite nicely to "We're not doing anything with your favorite license, and are going to cancel all the things you love about it so please don't give us anymore of your money." but this is clearly communicating the same message.

the last lucas arts game I bought was Monkey Island 4. lucas arts stopped making good/ interesting games since then, so I must admit, that I don't really care. Telltale does the job now ;)

I would say on the whole you guys are right, but it just reminds me of all the great stuff they used to make in the 90s and early 2000s and makes me a little sad to see the names wink out. Interplay, MicroProse, Origin, Sierra, and now LucasArts. All the publishers that I looked to as a kid are gone.

RIP Guybrush, I hope Ron Gilbert buys the Monkey Island rights and finishes your story.

A small part of me is very sad - some of my fondest gaming memories are courtesy of LucasArts: Loom, Monkey Island(s), Fate Of Atlantis, Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Dark Forces...

I would say on the whole you guys are right, but it just reminds me of all the great stuff they used to make in the 90s and early 2000s and makes me a little sad to see the names wink out. Interplay, MicroProse, Origin, Sierra, and now LucasArts. All the publishers that I looked to as a kid are gone.
Congratulations to G.L. on his stellar business decisions.
/sarcasm off

Way to help send more fine folks to the breadlines. Was really looking forward to 1313. At least I still have Xwaupgrade to keep me company. Raven's JK & JA still entertain me to this day, and some of the most memorable duels I've had other then SWG. So now that my last favorite development studio is now a dead shell, I guess I won't have to worry about much else consuming my cash now that CIG is all we have left.

Raven just dumped the sourcecode to JK2 and JA to sourceforge.net under GPLv2 license. Looks like we'll actually get to play those games on Linux :)

:/ Just this:

riplucas.jpg

^ Sums things up nicely, they just need Guybrush Threepwood in that sketch, and Manny from Grim Fandango. Such great memories just from looking at this picture, I think I'm going to have to go on a mission to get hold of boxed LucasArts adventure games before they become collector's items. I'm already doing the same with the WC series, so this could get expensive.

That picture also needs a Rebel pilot and Imperial pilot locking arms.
Like Keyan Farlander or Ace Azzameen as Rebel and Maarek Stele as Imperial? (Farlander and Stele were identified as the protagonists of X-Wing and TIE Fighter respectively)

But I still like this picture very much.
Even thou many games released by LA haven't been that good recently, I think that LA deserved another chance.

Kimberly Wallace of GameInformer thinks that LucasArts' demise could be Cloud Imperium Games' gain!

Chris Roberts has proven he knows his way around a space combat simulation with the Wing Commander series and Freelancer. Taking the reins on the X-Wing series would be a natural fit for him. Since Wing Commander stood as X-Wing’s main rival, it would be interesting to see what the last guy standing in the space combat simulation universe could do. Roberts is working on his own game Star Citizen, but imagine what he could if he applied his wealth of experience designing space combat games with Star Wars’ well-loved universe.

We talked about this at CIG. Chris has no interest in taking over Star Wars and notes that X-Wing is actually pretty far from the kind of game he makes... Larry Holland makes very stat-and-procedure heavy sims, whereas Chris makes games that are a lot more like... well, Star Wars: fast and cinematic.

We talked about this at CIG. Chris has no interest in taking over Star Wars and notes that X-Wing is actually pretty far from the kind of game he makes... Larry Holland makes very stat-and-procedure heavy sims, whereas Chris makes games that are a lot more like... well, Star Wars: fast and cinematic.

On the other hand a handy talented batch of game programmers and game artists just got dumped on the job market.

I have to agree with you there, LOAF: X-Wing had lots of missions, but you had to beat them in order to progress through the game. Wing Commander had STORY! that actually changed depending on how you did and what choices you made. Branching storyline for the win!

You have to feel for the guys over at Lucasarts. Thats a lot of staff to let off. You can pretty much guarantee none of them will be transferred to the graphics department of the new star wars films.
Theres a small part of me that wishes its a publicity stunt to see what the reaction is..but im dreaming.

on topic :
"Chris makes games that are a lot more like... well, Star Wars: fast and cinematic." - nail on the head

Also,
George_Lucas_Disney_723212g2.jpg

I nearly died when I saw this.
That is the face of a man who has died on the inside. Granted it's a whacky goofy squeaky cartoon death...

Back