LotRs Return of the King... a british perspective *spoilers*

Pedro

Admiral
I have to announce a British perspective because Lord of the Rings is a British book with British subtleties that may not have made the international transition well (Americans in particular seem to an awful lot of the humor). And this is an American movie, because it has American funding, now American movies are the only ones where no matter how famous the director and tbh prior to this Peter Jackson was not anyway, where the people with the funding always ensure a happy ending no matter what (god help us, the original blade runner).

First let me point out I'm not greatly articulate and whilst I've read the books several times ever since my mother got me hooked at the age of eight it has been a while since last I read them so there may be mistakes, especially in spelling ;) Correct anywhere I went wrong. I'm going to focus on the flaws of the movie so let me first state that the first 3 hours IMO warrant a 10/10... but the ending drops the entire movie, hell the entire trilogy down to a 7/10... don't think an ending can be that bad?... think again

Next let me comment on the best part of the movie, i.e. the majority of it thankfully :) The Two Towers ended rather early so RotK had to cut corners, it did so rather expertly in my opinion and was thoroughly enjoyable right up to the point where the ring has been cast into mount doom, but we'll get to that later. Minas Tirath was a WONDERFULL creation, as usual true to the original artwork and especially breathtaking and believable.
Mordor was exactly as I had imagined it (however the time saving means Sam and Frodo somehow, despite being the only 2 people in a vast open empty land with a giant eye right next to them scouring said land make it to mount doom unnoticed...blame for this I suppose goes to the Two Tower for time line distorting however).

Shelob... although not giving the same sense of fear, or the cliffhanger, as in the books looked fantastic, she was really organic and believable.
We lost some nice scenes showing Eowyn and Faramirs getting together, Denathors Delantir scene showing just WHY he was mad as a hatter, but hopefully we'll get these in the extended edition, the Two Towers extended edition was a very welcome release indeed and truly raised the quality of the entire movie (in the extras of that the script writer apologizes for Sams butchering of the fairy tale speech... and blames the actor, d'oh ;)). We also lost Saroumans escape from his tower thanks to Treebeards naivety, but of course... given the ending... that would have been pointless as hell...

The army of the dead was superb and incredibly creepy, although their role in the movie was somewhat changed I didn't feel it was inappropriate.
Music was good but... out of place, the battles had ever such cheery hope giving music at times when a feeling of despair would have been more appropriate, good music but not as good as the previous two, and it didn't feel as though it was written around the specific scenes.

Battle at Minas Tirath was visually stunning and exciting (with the exception that a belief in an afterlife had to be introduced, thank you very much :p).

Death of King Theodin... he just had to find out it was Eowyn didn't he? :p But you'd never have captured the emotion of him not knowing on screen, infact it might have come out laughable so its probably for the best I suppose :)

What is above includes almost all of my nit pickings of the first 3 hours, for a book to movie transition this is very impressive so do not think I am putting it down, its just easy to pick on the flaws when the quality is generally so high that you're completely overwhelmed.... the ending has the opposite effect....

Once the ring has been thrown into Mt Doom we have another 30mins to go, easily enough time to implement the "true" ending, an ending that speaks of the war after wars, I'm speaking of course of the rebuilding of shattered lives, of loss and sorrow amidst the joy of a victory. Now Peter Jackson claims the destruction of the shire just "didn't work" and asks fans to trust him, hopefully this is an indication he was pressured into the final ending, but perhaps this really was his vision, in which case he should have been removed from all emotional scenes and just left to direct the breathtaking battles.

You see after the dramatic scene where the ring gets hold of Frodo, which works beautifully I might add, Elijah Wood(sp?) was a great choice for the role, suddenly once the ring has been destroyed he turns round, gets a Cheshire cat grin on his face and says words to the effect of "oh its alright, I can remember all great things about the shire and I'm completely cured with no adverse effects from the ring whatsoever"....ok now I'm getting worried, and with good reason.

First the shire is all alive and well, nothing has happened, saroman has not taken over with hobbits living on rations... oh no... all is happy and green. And so 4 years later Frodo JUST thinks maybe the ring effected him just a little (why on earth can't a main character have a breakdown, is it really worth breaking consistency and losing the message about war for an American cheesy ending?!) so he goes off with the elves and is happy and smiling at which point you're left thinking "right... so you're cured now right? You can get off the boat". Don't even get me started on the fact they felt it necessary TO RAM DOWN OUR THROATS the fact it was going to the afterlife. Or the fact that it was a boat, a rowing boat really, not a beautiful ship, the whole ending felt VERY rushed to me.

I had my hand on my head all through the last half hour thinking "PLEASE JUST STOP NOW, STOP RUINING IT!". And don't forget about all the hugs and smiles and ignoring all the deaths, and a brilliant sunset every other scene.

So all in all the end is a half hour of dullsville which literally screams out "bad things happen but everything works out just fine in the end", I find this an insult to J.R.R. Tolkein who fought through World War I, wrote the books around World War II, he knew what people really came back to, he knew the heroes didn't return to the perfect country that they had been promised and it DISGUSTS me what mindless drivel we had to endure to take things down to the lowest common denominator. He'll be spinning in his grave, no wonder the family will have nothing to do with the movies! They must have seen the ending!

Again if I’ve made any mistakes feel free to correct me, and sorry america, I love america really :) I just don’t like americas need to give every film a completley happy ending, devoid of any negatives whatsoever... atleast I hope it was down to the american funders...

Americans had nothing to do with RotK's ending - Mr. Jackson has said time and time (and time, and time) again that altering the ending was *his* choice and his alone.

(And you started this same stupid thread when the last movie came out.)

a) Show me a quote and believe that he said it, not that its true. I'm sorry but it happens too often, and admitting his best judgement was overruled wouldn't do ticket sales any good

b) I only suggested it not being his choice, and actually down to funders, as an option, (admittedly the one I hoped and PRAYED for so as to keep my opinion of the films somewhat higher, although the general tone of the movies is a lot lower than the books)

c) I never knew last year they were actually going to GO to the shire and do the cheese thing, just that it wasn't going to be destroyed, and these are impressions based after the fact

d) In my worst fears I thought they'd let frodo suffer little or no ill effects from his time with the ring, I didn't KNOW it was going to happen, but the fears were realized.

e) Its an opinion, that I'm entitled too, if you spent as much energy in forming your own opinions as you do belittling other peoples you'd probably be a famous philisopher by now.

Also if it was Peter Jacksons call I can't help but wonder if the decision wasn't made in the wake of september 11th, showing the shire being rebuilt when the twin towers are still just rubble might have been percieved as inconsiderate (believeable after all the fuss over the Two Towers not changing its name), still even in that case the level of cheese is completley unwarranted.

Okay everyone, I'll tell you what. I've got the inside track on this whole story and I'm going to lay it down for you all...

ITS ALIENS! AliENS WrotE tHE sCRIPT and ITS GOT SUbliMINAl messaGES TEACHING US to SERVE them AS OUR mASTeRS when THEY inVAdE!!@#! HOLY shit Head for THE hilLS!!!

Okay does that mean I win the crazy conspiracy contest?

You forgot that, were it not for *America*, we'd know all about the aliens.

Also, America beat up my dad. And slept with my cat.

Once, America got into a hot dog eating contest - and was disqualified for reasons too disturbing to discuss!

Apparently that Limey didn't remember that Jackson is a Kiwi and not one of us Yanks that run the tele or the pictures.

You know, LOAF, your going to get awefully bored if you keep banning people...

...especially since ALL the people you keep banning have a differing opinion then yours. Which is not to say you ban EVERYONE who has a differant opinion then yours, just those who ADVERTISE this fact...

The fact that no one ELSE sees a problem with this is tribute to their blind devotion/fantacism they give to you, which is really quite sick...

A bad guy walks into a hospital full of pregnant women, and kills them with a chainsaw.

Officer LOAF: Hey pal, you are going to jail so you won't do this again!
Bad dude: No you can't. I have the "Difference of Opinion" get-out-of-jail card! As long as I say that my opinions are just different, I'm free as a bird!
Officer LOAF: Doesn't matter, you've did this shit before. I'm locking you up!
Bad dude: I'm a martyr. As long as people rally to my cause, you will never lay a finger on me. See, here's one now!
Jason Ryock: You know, LOAF, your going to get awefully bored if you keep putting people to jail...especially since ALL the people you keep putting into jail have a differing opinion then yours.
Officer LOAF: Oh dear, Jason Ryock has helped me see the light. I guess I better let him go then.
Jason Ryock: Haha! Emotional bleeding-heart sentimentality will always win over common sense any day!

Jason_Ryock said:
The fact that no one ELSE sees a problem with this is tribute to their blind devotion/fantacism they give to you, which is really quite sick...
Hehehe, agreeing with LOAF doesn't necessarily mean one is blindly devoted. And disagreeing with him doesn't automatically make you an intellectual and/or free spirit. For instance, I'm pretty sure I'm wildly more intelligent and capable of making my own decisions than you, but I still agree with LOAF.

I'm also pretty sure that Pedro was a complete asshole and a total retard, so I don't see what your problem is. I mean you've been done a favor, here. Now Pedro isn't around to fuck up everyone's good time with his self-important ranting. Score one for all the normal people!

I agree that his post was pretty ummm... dumb? But it is true that a lot of films made in the U.S. get considerably "Dumbed down" for the Us audience. Thankfully LOTR is not one of these IMHO.

I saw the film this morning and thought it was great. I don't think that Peter Jackson could have kept it any truer to the original books.

It is true that sacrifices must be made in order to ensure that its not an 8 hour long film, and i think that Mr Jackson made the right choice as to which bits he needed to cut to save time.

All in all GO AND SEE IT NOW YOU FOOLS!

Sabretit said:
But it is true that a lot of films made in the U.S. get considerably "Dumbed down" for the Us audience.
The implication here, of course, is that US audiences are dumb.

I would say that some film makers treat the audiences as though they are dumb - which is pretty insulting.

It also happens worldwide, so you can't say it's for any one culture.

You know, LOAF, your going to get awefully bored if you keep banning people...

Oh, dear. I guess I'll have to resign myself to the fact that I won't get to listen to Pedro's bi-monthly stupid anti-American rants... or... that other guy I banned. Who was that? Oh, yeah, the guy who had absolutely nothing to do with WC fandom.

On the plus side, no more Jason Rycock.

(Edited in: ... and for those interested in an actual debate over this crap, you can find the *first* time Pedro posted the exact same thing here. Funny, he seems to have known all about the things that shock,shock, *shocked* him today for several months. :)

I thought it was mouse-KA-vitch? Granted, I haven't seen that movie in forever, and even then it was a dissapointment because it was dumbed down for ethiopian audiences by the rich Ethiopian Fund-holders...*rolls eyes*

I freely agree and disagree with LOAF, and haven't been banned (yet). I just try to maintain a certain level of decorum.

Don't confuse agreeing/disagreeing with LOAF as some form of public democracy.

Back