Looking for volunteers for a WCTO test game

If I have to choose between Epee and Drakhri, I would prefer a Drakhri but if you want to have two different fighters dish it out, I can take the Epee.
Depends on how many others will join the fight. I wouldn't have a problem with a Drakhri vs. Drakhri battle - it's not that we had a great variety of fighters in the last (current...) match. :p

Though I have to inform you that the Epee carries 2 chaff pods. Were they taken out because of balance or is it an oversight?
I may be mistaken, but weren't the chaff pods introduced with the Super Ferret? I don't think the P-64C featured those, but I could start up WC2 or Academy to prove one of us wrong. ;)

Depends on how many others will join the fight. I wouldn't have a problem with a Drakhri vs. Drakhri battle - it's not that we had a great variety of fighters in the last (current...) match. :p

That's why I thought that you maybe wanted to have some different fighters with same point cost dish it out. To see if they are balanced. :)

I may be mistaken, but weren't the chaff pods introduced with the Super Ferret? I don't think the P-64C featured those, but I could start up WC2 or Academy to prove one of us wrong. ;)

Eh? Chaff Pods were in the regular WC2, not only with SO1's Super Ferret (which did not carry any Chaff Pods IIRC)). Also, I am talking about the Epee, not the Ferret. :D

I would be MORE than happy to fly an Epee. I like the Missiles-with-a-man-on-it.

As well, I'd be game for a medium-n-heavy matchup -- I'd love to give a Grikath a try on a bombing run, for instance.

Eh? Chaff Pods were in the regular WC2, not only with SO1's Super Ferret (which did not carry any Chaff Pods IIRC)). Also, I am talking about the Epee, not the Ferret. :D
:eek: You're right! Don't know why I mixed them up... And yes, the Epee does carry 2 chaff pods, of course. I'm currently uploading a new version of the manual (including the Epee with chaff pods, but without a torpedo, as well as an updated firing arc diagram).

In other news: Game 002 has ended today! We don't have a real winner, since all three Sartha have survived. If I had to declare a winner by score, it would be Mekt-Hakkikt: He dealt 10 damage points to his opponent(s), while floundericiousMI inflicted 5 dps. ;)

Hopefully, with the new rules included, the next match will be more spectacular. :p

In other news: Game 002 has ended today! We don't have a real winner, since all three Sartha have survived. If I had to declare a winner by score, it would be Mekt-Hakkikt: He dealt 10 damage points to his opponent(s), while floundericiousMI inflicted 5 dps. ;)

Hopefully, with the new rules included, the next match will be more spectacular. :p

The one thing I noticed with this was that it was so HARD to get into a good "Firing Position"

You had to prognosticate and consult chicken entrails to work out where your opponent was going and then position your self...and then, if you were off by one hex, no joy....

It's almost as though you should split the movement phase into two parts... let's see, let me sketch it out:

1. declare speed for this turn
  2. declare intention to attempt an attack against "X"
  3. make maneuver
  4. attack, if possible
  5. use remaining movement points

There would be an alternate path, if you weren't trying to make an attack...the sequence would be something similar:

1. declare speed for this turn
  2. declare intention to reserve fire
  3. make maneuver
  4. use remaining movement points
Reserved fire can be expended at any time during the turn, when an opponent crosses through your firing arc/range

If that looks like it's too powerful, easy, etc. then you could allow only half the available fire rate (round up)...

Taking game 02 as an example, when Mekt-Hakkikt and I went head-on and exchanged fire... if I'd "reserved fire" before finishing the movement pulse, I'd have only gotten off 2 shots whereas M-H was determined to fire and declared an attack against me...he got off 3 shots.

Another version of that exchange... let's say Pip flashed across between us as the first half of the movement pulse was expended. As I'd reserved fire, I would have the option to pop off 1 or 2 shots from my neutron guns. As M-H had declared an attack against me, he's not seeing the opportunity, so he misses the exposed flank that runs in front of him.

This also works with missiles. If you declare an attack on someone and your ship is equipped with missiles requiring lock, you initate the lock-on process...when the first-half movement pulse is done, you must have them still in your lock-arc to be able to initiate a missile attack. If you're using something that is IFF or dumbfire, who cares...at any point when you could opt to fire, those weapons can be unleashed without lock.

just a couple of thoughts...

I'm not up for a game at this point, but maybe the next one? :)

Yeah, it was almost impossible to guess the way the opponent moved, there were just too many possibilities at higher, especially when the players are playing safe (i.e. what is the position I can move into without being hit while still having a chance to fire?).
Also, sometimes even when I thought I knew where the enemy was going to be, I was unable to move in a firing position because of the movement rules (half speed always straight). Maybe the advanced manoeuvers will solve that problem.

Flounder, I am not sure I completely understand your concept but I think in the end it's similar to the newly introduced "fire of opportunity", isn't it?

Flounder, I am not sure I completely understand your concept but I think in the end it's similar to the newly introduced "fire of opportunity", isn't it?
Opportunity fire (in the current v0.13) works more or less like an enhanced firing arc for front-mounted guns. If this addition and the maneuvers still don't solve the problem, I'm opting for a solution similar to the one floundericiousMI just posted. (Thanks for your input! I'm aware of those issues and appreciate any thoughts.) It will make things a bit more complicated, though, since you have to keep track of all ship movements due to the simultaneous nature of the game's turns.
I'll also include a "Maneuver Chart" in the upcoming match, where you can look up which maneuver was flown in each turn.

Okay, I've prepared a 1-on-1 dogfight with Pip in an Epee and QuailPilot in a Drakhri so far. You'll fight each other in the vicinity of an asteroid belt.

I'd create a scenario mission for Mekt-Hakkikt (Drakhri) and Pip (Grikath) as well, and if noone else wants to join, I'll give you a wingman each and pit you against some Confed fighters along with a capship.

I'll start both matches shortly (dogfight first, then the scenario), so if anyone's still undecided about joining, you should hurry to sign up! :)

Pip and QuailPilot: You're on! Your match is listed as "Game 003: Pip vs. QuailPilot" - good hunting!

The game map may take a few moments to load up, but unless you delete your browser's cache, the following turns will load much faster now!

(Link to WCTO games list)

The first scenario, "Ambush at Gwynedd", is also online! I'll wait another ~36 hours before I start that game, but you can check the mission background and objectives in the meantime (see "Scenario Description" in the scenario's submenu).

Ironduke,
If there is still a slot open, I'll take a Rapier. I'm reading the rules now - I've never tried your rules, although I've been a bit of a nut about WC tabletop gaming in the past, to the point of building a fleet of wooden WC1/WC2 ships in 1:10000 scale and using them in Starmada.

Anyway, somebody's got to uphold the angry monkey side of things in this battle.

Panda and Avacar have joined the game as Tango 1 and Tango 2. (Don't forget I'll need your email addresses! Just send me a pm.) Tango 3 and Koractu 2 are vacant, with the scenario starting in a few hours. I guess if there are any other volunteers after the mission started, they can still join during the game.

"Ambush at Gwynedd" has started! Keep in mind that HS and IR missiles as well as torps need a target lock, so you have to choose one enemy you want to lock first. Also, after firing a torpedo, you'll need another two turns to get a positive lock (and launch the torpedo at the third turn). Good luck! :)

I'll join the scenario mission as well. I'll take a drakhri and be a wingcat to Mekt-Hakkikt

Fixed that for you! We'll see the inside of the destroyer in no time!

Aw, look how cute the Epee looks.

Wait - the game has started? How do the teammates communicate? We better have a strategy...

Back