Looking for Secret Ops Wallpapers

ChazZio

Spaceman
I really want to find some nice wallpapers from the game. Maybe something like a battle scene or a nice shot of the main Carrier the players fly off of, or perhaps a nice cockpit view over a planet. Any that anyone knows of?

ChazZio said:
I have a slght problem reading png files. maybe I saved it wrong.

In any case, thank you!
Oh hi! I'm glad someone's found use for them. :) Support for PNGs should be stable by now - certainly opening them in a modern web browser should take care of it. If you still can't read them, or prefer a different file format, just let me know.

Cam's made loads of nice wallpaper-qualified pictures. A news search should find most of them. But currently I am using Eder's Hakagas at uni. :)

Hehe, glad you like it. :)

I should render a version without the black stripes at the top and bottom sometime, for use as a proper wallpaper.

It's still Cam's Excal for me, though - I still spend a couple of hours a week trying to get a Rapier to look that good. :p

Hey, it's not like I have anything better to do, so:

http://standoff.solsector.net/files/hakaga_800.jpg
http://standoff.solsector.net/files/hakaga_1024.jpg
http://standoff.solsector.net/files/hakaga_1280.jpg
http://standoff.solsector.net/files/hakaga_1600.jpg

Multiple versions for those who don't trust Windows's resizing thingie, and bigger versions for those who can never have enough desktop room. :p

Nay, the letterbox format lends a more cinematic feel to it.

I know many people use high resolution desktops these days, but I still run on 1024x768. Shrinking pictures bigger than that to fit the screen looks much more ugly than stretching smaller pictures (unless to zoom percentage is something like 25 or 50 per cent).

And Eder, I still say your first Rapier (the shiny XWA one) was your best. :p

Well, I used to think it was pretty good back then, but after taking more WC2 screenshots and seeing a render Capn Johnny posted of the original model, it just felt too wrong to stick with. :p

(For the record, the model I'm using in Standoff also has a minor inaccuracy in the rear, between the two engine blocks - a texturing detail which I always figured was an elevated area until I saw Johnny's render... I'm too lazy to reconvert a model over such a small detail, though.)

BTW, that one you like wasn't my first Rapier - my first Rapier was one I made for the XWA TC team using very, very precarious editing tools. It looked really freaking ugly, almost like my first Sabre which gladly nobody ever saw (the XWA TC guys saw it, but it was so ugly they decided to do without a Sabre instead - yep, really :D). Funny stuff.

If you have any old WC Saga screenshots, check out their old Rapier, that was the first one I modelled (they even had the original textures, back when there was still green in their mod).

Well, it was the first Rapier on the Standoff site. And I loved it because of its overall shine, not the accuracy (or your claim that it wasn't) of the model. Yeah, I know, dirty textures make more sense...

Hehe, we've certainly talked this talk before, I guess. :)
Well, if I ever get to do some really high res stuff (as in, not meant for such an ancient engine) with multilayered textures and whatnot, I agree that shiny will probably look better.

Even with just specular maps, WC Saga already looks much better. Throw in bump maps and decals/detail texturing and it'd could really make anything work. :p

The specular lighting is a nice thing, but - and this is not meant as slight against them - IMHO, I don't really like the look of the fighters they're making. Maybe it's just the texturing - I dunno, I'm not that good at examining (ship) models in great detail. But a couple of the capital ships look nice, though.

Eder said:
Multiple versions for those who don't trust Windows's resizing thingie, and bigger versions for those who can never have enough desktop room. :p
Hey, nice. But I just meant that shrinking pictures (even with anti-aliasing) looks worse than stretching them - and I wasn't using the Windows desktop re-sizing 'feature', which doesn't smooth images, AFAIK.

I couldn't possibly know what you meant, since you hadn't posted the message about the large desktops by then. ;)

The images I work with for this scene are being rendered at 2048x1536, so I just figured I'd make a 1600x1200 version available the second time around (since people liked the idea of using it as a wallpaper).

The original image was at 1024x768 simply because I had rendered it as a draft of Standoff's credits screen, and that's the highest resolution the mod will run on.

Oops. :eek: Well, I didn't notice your edit the first time, anyway. :/

Working with the original material is always better. :) But I actually notice some slight jaggedness in edge of the 'wings' of the centre Hakaga now. That's just me nit-picking again.

Wedge009 said:
The specular lighting is a nice thing, but - and this is not meant as slight against them - IMHO, I don't really like the look of the fighters they're making. Maybe it's just the texturing - I dunno, I'm not that good at examining (ship) models in great detail. But a couple of the capital ships look nice, though.

To tell you the truth, some of the fighters can be better. For example, the Rapier looks very unlike the WC2 variant, the Hellcat and Thunderbolt model look way out of proportion, the Excalibur's textures suck, the Longbow is the WC4 ripped textures and not WC3. Etc etc.

Lynx is only available on the weekends now, and he's juggled with finishing up all the capital ships. We're about to unveal the WC3 version of the Lexington-class heavy carrier from Armada, so stayed tuned soon :)

Back