Looking For A Manual

Cobrafang

Spaceman
I have no idea how to use the Model Creator 0.8 by Thomas Bruckner so I'm looking for a manual to help me creat a ship or two

I don't think there is one.. I'd suggest emailing the original author or just digging in and asking specific questions here when you get stuck.

I tryed emailing the original author and no luck and I'm stuck at the begining I don't even know were to start or how to start

You can try contacting Thomas at "thomas dot bruckner atsign netway dot at", maybe his address is still live there. But he hasn't been active for a couple of years.

As to the Model Creator - I've toyed around with it some time, and it is rather tricky; not to say lacking user friendliness. But since the tool's release seemed to be an afterthought (In 1999 he wrote "- I have thought rather long about whether I should release my ModelCreator as it is now (it is in a pretty chaotic state and I don't have the time nor the energy to change that)."), I think there is not much hope that he developed the tool much further. Maybe a commercial 3D Model Software will give you more joy.

I'm going to move this to the fan project section, because you'll get more helpful responses.

I'll just say that puttig models into Prophecy is a rather large pain in the ass. I've done it a couple of times just for the hell of it and because I like to have an idea of what kind of tools are available for people, and it's not for the easily discouraged.

The best (and only, I think) guide is probably Killerwave's tutorial on the subject: http://killerwave.solsector.net/Model_Tutorial.htm

Even if you follow his guide, you'll be doing a whole lot of muddling about to try and figure things out and make them work how you want them to.

Making models before conversion is a completely different subject though. You have a wide variety of choices as far as software goes and, while I've tried a few, I'm not really the best person to be giving recommendations.

I've always been a big fan of wings3d. Fairly easy to get used to, and the price is right :) It was used for a lot of the ships in our project (there is an exported for the format we use, among other formats)

To do a ship frmo "zero" you need a few tools:

A 3d model program (like 3dstudio) :)

3D Exploration to convert the model to .obj and from .obj to .peo)

peoview.exe to traslate the .peo to modelc understandable

modelc.exe to replace textures / add collisions tree (bsp.dll collision tree generator if is un capship) / and save the model in a "mesh" .IFF format, finally read by SO engine in your /mesh folder.

turrets.exe to edit ship hardpoints (to guns, missiles and turrets)

WCPas version 24c to edit ship properties and save other .iff "ship" file read by SO in your /ships folder

Understand all programs is only by investigation, no manuals, killerwave page have some good tutorials.

TanGO

TC said:
I'll just say that puttig models into Prophecy is a rather large pain in the ass. [...] it's not for the easily discouraged.
TC nailed it down pretty well there. If you're ready to get stuck and have to figure out a lot of tricks on your own, you could try ModelC - it's the only tool that can get models into Secret Ops.

But if you've never even modelled anything, importing things into SO is something you shouldn't worry about for now.

Back