Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital joystick USB ADAPTOR

tulupi

Spaceman
I have a TOSHIBA notebook with no game port . I'm trying to use Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital joystick with it.
I bought one cable adapter USB to DB15F and thought it would work... but it didn’t.
There are 4 modes on the adaptor. Mode 1: On the calibration screen, buttons OK,viewpoint OK but no throtle ! Mode 2: buttons OK, throtle OK but no viewpoints Mode 3: buttons OK, no throtle Mode 4: just buttons OK. I wanna play Falcon Flight sim. Anyone get me help?

Probably time to invest in a new joystick with a USB interface... Recommended because honestly enough, the PC gameport is a really cheesy piece of equipment (the joystick is analog, but the PC is digital. The conversion is done by a few resistors and capacitors - no analog to digital converter).

Some of the later PC soundcards use real ADCs, but still, it's a questionable piece of equipment

OTOH, you can still find PCMCIA joystick interfaces.

Might go and invest in a really nice set of USB joysticks... like the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar or such (probably the only joystick with a very active mod community).

Are you sure the stick should work any different?
Because as far as analogue stick go they can ONLY do either analogue throttle OR analogue viewpoints. The other one can be emulated digitally by combinations of buttons, BUT a game has to specifically accept that. That is why many games (DOS) have thrustmaster as joystick option. Bottom line is I think you rather have to fiddle with the joystick calibration then with the hardware adapter. Mode 2 looks like the one to go for me, then try around with various viewpoint settings in the game/in windows.

The Logitech Wingman Extreme Digtal joysticks "talk" digital even when plugged into a gameport (thus the "digital" in the name); they use Logitech's own protocol for that. It's likely that a gameport->USB converter designed for generic joysticks won't work with the Logitech. It should have come with its own adapter; the stick will then "know" you have plugged it into a USB port and talk USB HID. If you don't have one call 800-231-7717; they should be able to hook you up.

Back