Loaf's Carrier List

Doubtful. Lexington is the only carrier we hear about getting gutted and then rebuilt. Princeton appears to be a ship that has just joined the fleet (which would make sense Confed most likely didn't just stop the shipyards after the T-bomb much like the US produced a number of Essex-class carriers in the time after the war) and is on a shake-down.

Hey BanditLOAF, while I'm posting, do you have a key for all the references in the ship list anywhere? I can get most of them but there's a few that are escaping me.

Hmm, I don't have one readily available, but if you let me know which ones are confusing I can figure out what they are.

Is it possible that the Princeton was a war-era reconstruction like the Lexington. Blair seemed to indicate that the Lexington was pretty much state-of-the-art in 2673, even though the ship was a rebuilt following the Battle of Earth in 2668. Perhaps the Princeton was rebuilt or modernized as well.

It's certainly a possible story to tell... but it doesn't seem like it's really needed.

Ultimately when you're Confleet in the 2670s new carrier development isn't going to be that high a priority. Sure, the Concordias are getting old and need replacing, and that's why there's a Vesuvius-class program, but you're now a peacetime Navy with a shrinking budget and an expanding volume of space to patrol. Cost-effectiveness is the most important factor, which is why there's no need for large-scale introduction of Excaliburs when Hellcats can get the job done, and refitting and reconditioning old Concordias to keep them serviceable is a much more efficient use of funds than trying to build enough new Vesuvius hulls to retire all the older ships. Equally you're not going to stop building new Concordias you had on the blocks, either - actually for two reasons. One is that the TCN has been here before and wants to get all the carriers out of shipyards it can before the Assembly can get around to cutting funding, and the other one is that the most cost-effective way to produce a new carrier is to finish one that's half-completed.

On the other hand, there are many cases in history (at the end of World War II, for example) where half-finished warships were cancelled and sold for scrap...USS Illinois (BB-65) and USS Kentucky (BB-66) are both examples of that sort of thing happening. Two Essex-class carriers also were cancelled and sold for scrap after their construction had started as well. So, there is historical precedent for halting ship construction.

I suppose the cost effectiveness argument holds, and I don't really recall the political situation at the end of the Kilrathi war in terms of ship production (besides Tolwyn being forced to re-define the number of fighters in a squadron). Going to have to reread the WC4 novelization yet again...

On the other hand, there are many cases in history (at the end of World War II, for example) where half-finished warships were cancelled and sold for scrap...USS Illinois (BB-65) and USS Kentucky (BB-66) are both examples of that sort of thing happening. Two Essex-class carriers also were cancelled and sold for scrap after their construction had started as well. So, there is historical precedent for halting ship construction.

Some hulls were scrapped, but other were also completed so it can go both ways. My thoughts were that given the losses of BoT and the battles of 2669 that they would have wanted to bring the Fleet up to strength.

Hmm, I don't have one readily available, but if you let me know which ones are confusing I can figure out what they are.

Needed to get back on this before I forgot. The big one is TCH; I thought this one might be "The Confederation Handbook", but I'm not 100% sure (it would be consistent with the entries I'm seeing it under, though). I'm assuming WCKS is the Kilrathi Saga documentation, WCMN is the novelization of the movie, and OOCWC3 is one of the WC3 versions. Don't know what WC12USG is supposed to be either. The rest I've been able to figure out.

While I'm posting, is there a canonical date for the formation of the Confederation? I haven't come across one as yet.

Needed to get back on this before I forgot. The big one is TCH; I thought this one might be "The Confederation Handbook", but I'm not 100% sure (it would be consistent with the entries I'm seeing it under, though). I'm assuming WCKS is the Kilrathi Saga documentation, WCMN is the novelization of the movie, and OOCWC3 is one of the WC3 versions. Don't know what WC12USG is supposed to be either. The rest I've been able to figure out.

Yes, TCH is The Confederation Handbook... WCKS is the Kilrathi Saga manual... WCMN is the movie nove. OOGWC3 is Origin's Official Guide to Wing Commander 3 and WC12USG is the Wing Commander 1 & 2 Ultimate Strategy Guide.

While I'm posting, is there a canonical date for the formation of the Confederation? I haven't come across one as yet.

Good question. The answer is... I think no. For years people have cited 2416, but I don't think that's accurate. The closest we know is that the Confederation Handbook says the Confederation is 'newly christened' in 2588.

Okay, thanks for clearing those up.

Is what's up at WCPedia the whole Confederation Handbook, or just highlights?

Okay, thanks for clearing those up.

Is what's up at WCPedia the whole Confederation Handbook, or just highlights?

It's only a few pieces of it IIRC currently up. I think they are articles in Historical Documents. It's just a few pages of the Handbook. If you don't have one, I'd recommend picking it up. It's well worth it.

Back