Linux Fans, Please Test

ubuntu is supposed to be noob friendly, so i'd bet it auto configures everything pretty much right.

are you trying the 32 or 64? i was wondering how their 64 works out. i didnt bother tho, because they use their own-built packages instead of the debian packages., and i sorta prefer standards (using original stuff)

-scheherazade

It's a little funny to talk about using the original stuff for debian64, since there is no official debian 64 bit version (assuming you are talking about AMD 64). Debian's famous snail's pace at work again :D

PM sent regarding MIDI. It's not too bad, though it's strangely hard to explain.

I'm on the 64 version, and it handles just great. As for being noob friendly, it is so far. I've had to configure a few plugins, but nothing apt-get install whatever doesn't take care of, lol. What it DOESN'T configure, though, is MIDI - not just not properly, not at all. It's like the coders haven't even heard of it. :p

most people just install the timidity package and get on with it :)
that's what privateer does

timidity takes a midi and a set of patches and converts it to a wav for your card to play

I am able to play MIDI without timidity by loading a font into the memory on my soundblaster, but that method can't be used for Privateer. It needs a timidity.cfg, since all its MIDI is played through sdl_mixer. So I have 2 seperate midi playing methods on my chunk of junk :D

I ran priv_009d.sh and got the ~/privateer directory, but running vegastrike
ran a bunch of mostly good stuff then this:
1.Loading bmp file 23.png Bind... !!!! Load Success
1.Loading bmp file 24.png Bind... !!!! Load Success
1.Loading bmp file 25.png Bind... !!!! Load Success
CommXML:LoadXML privtoconfed.xml
vegastrike: communication_xml.cpp:135: void FSM::LoadXML(const char*): Assertion `0' failed.
Aborted
me@prompt:~/privateer$
I have these installed -do i need more xml support in the OS?
(debian testing/unstable)(VS runs fine tho')
libxml2
libxml2-utils
xml-core
Thank you !!

there are 2 64 bit debian systems that are sorta* official

sorta = 1 is official, and a pain, and the other is also official but not nearly as complete, and isn't included in any distro version.

64 bit only (officially recognized) : all 64, you need a separate 32 bit install for running 32 bit software, which you can chroot to from the running 64 bit install.
64 bit packages are in /lib, no 32 bit packages of its own.

63/32 (also recognized as '_the_ debian 64/32', but not included in any debians because its in sad shape) : called alioth. 64 bit packages are in /lib64, and 32 in /lib. this one is in bad shape, and apt-get won't work for it, because it can handle only 1 architecture per system. so it will CO everything into /lib, and will break it. so its pretty unpopular.

-scheherazade

Right, biarch and pure64. Biarch isn't going to survive for too long I imagine, but it's not exactly optimal to chroot into another environment to use any proprietary apps like Opera, and chrooting won't let you use Flash in your 64 bit Konqueror or Mozilla..

Neither version is 'official' though in the sense that they aren't listed among the supported architectures, and Sarge can release without either of them being done (unlike i386 or mips or whatever). AFAIK, Alioth is just the name of the server where the .debs are hosted.

It's probably safe to say that AMD64 is currently the second most popular platform after x86. It's a great opportunity for Linux to gain some ground since Windows doesn't yet take advantage of it, but Debian's basically dropped the ball so far hehe

make sure you're running the correct binary...

this is the best way to be sure you're running the right binary:
cd /path/installed/privremake/bin/
./vegastrike.sh --setup

./vegastrike.sh

or
at worst

./vegastrike

Works fine for me using Ubuntu. Strangely sound works fine in Privateer but not at all in Vega Strike 0.42

well you must have compiled 0.4.2 yourself, right? so that means perhaps you just didn't copy networking/soundserver over... to data4.x/bin

some more test results

Hi, just tested your privateer remake,

i was a great fan from the original, too, and so i was eager to have a look, when i found out this exists ....

now for the practical part:

i´ve tested it with suse 9.0 and mandrake 8.1 (which are both on different systems, as well :) )

the big one is with 1.7ghz(centrino), ati 9600,1gbyte ram etc (dell inspiron 8600) and the game is just fine there, although a little bit hard already for a keyboard player ....
(there is some gfx corruption with the ati driver with highest details settings, but its not the only game with this problem)

the small one is 867mhz (transmeta), ati rage mobility, 384mb ram
this is the one where there is a play problem with the timing (dont know how to explain understandable, but i´ll give it a try ..)

the framerate is low (i play with 640x480/lowest details/nosound) but ok to be subjectively playable

but the enemies seem to have much more frames to use, as they are faster, than on the bigger notebook! (i´ve tried to play on the slower one, but no chance to get the enemies... on the faster one, no problem, although they are hard to kill in the beginning)

and also on the slow notebook, there are much less in-system missions spawning on the mission computer! (maybe just bad luck in random number generation..., but a persistent bad luck, as there are much more in-system missions generated on the faster notebook)

hope to help, keep up this nice work!! (and generate higher resolution bitmaps for the inside of the bases ;) - also on the slow notebook these are quite slow to use)

its hard to see speed problems for privateer on a 867mhz system with minimal hardware acceleration, when we all remember how stunningly fast it played on 60mhz with software rendering.... ;)

nevertheless nice 3d objects for the ships and bases etc!

ATI Rage Mobility is a video card I affectionately refer to as a "Video Decelerator"

worst card ever--even worse than some of the intel Cards I love to hate.

You'll need a Radeon (mobility or otherwise) or any recent nVidia chipset to enjoy the game... the Rage was designed to cause rage amongst any sort of userbase :)

rage

:)

yes and no, if you would see the device, i´m using, you would understand, that the rage is quite ok ....

i´ve used a lot of those on desktop and on notebook, and for the price i say its ok

the notebook is more like a calculator i use atm

:) with minimum 3d hardware ...

the bad thing is, only 8 mb of video memory, no mtrr or anything (thats because transmeta doesnt support that)

but the xserver is nevertheless having basic 3d acceleration with a lot of extensions and 2d + video overlay is accelerated as well ... so what do i want more on my pocket calculator? :)

(basically with windows i can play games from the range 98-00 with hardware acceleration and not more than 8 mb texture memory quite well, and i am thankful for a working 3d accelerated open source driver for linux)

fair enough :) it's a good thing it runs at all

you can try turning it into retro or low detail mode and run at 512x384 or even 320x200 mode ;-)

retro mode

actually i´ve tried in retro mode already .... :)

but its still a bit difficult to control the ship on the slow notebook and target the enemy ship ...

and 512x384 or 320x200 ... nah .... thats to blocky for me ;)

problem with merchant guild mission

i forgot to tell, that i had the problem, that i could not end a merchant guild mission, which went through several systems back to troy to the planet helen

i had the mission active, even after landing on the planet, and no chance but to abort that mission :(

Back