Light-speed space travelling possible!

Not EXACTLY - he just mathematically 'proved' that antigrav would let a mass accelerated to just over half-lightspeed to continue to travel at that or a faster rate without spending a lot of energy doing so. This doesn't mean travel at light speed is possible, much less practical - just that there's the possibility that near-c velocities may not be impossibly energy-intensive.

How do you accelerate up to the first 57.7% light speed?

Still it is exciting!
I'm gonna whip out those blueprints and start building me a Rapier!:D

Well, that depends on what kind of place you want to go. If it's inside our own solar system, it looks OK. Or, perhaps, some probe to a nearby star system that would take a dozens, instead of hundreds of years.

The real problem is getting to that speed in the first place. Once we figure that out, then we can have a wc-type universe.

To have a WC like universe, you'd neet to at least accelerate in a positive and negative way much faster than we can, maneuver in a way we can't even begin to figure out, and, most importantly, manage a way to make human pilots survive the g-force involved.

Psh, read the article you guys, all we need to do is hitch a carridge to a comet, I mean come on! You're making it sound like that's, what, near impossible.

Jesus said:
Psh, read the article you guys, all we need to do is hitch a carridge to a comet, I mean come on! You're making it sound like that's, what, near impossible.

Hitch a... what... to a what? Are you even reading your own posts?

If you think comets move at 58% the speed of light, then you've been smoking something strong and illegal.. and that's the minimum requirement for the antigrav 'beam' which would be necessary to accelerate the object you REALLY want to send flying near-lightspeed without spending a lot of energy (or reducing the mass of said object to near-nothing) in the process. Plus, you'd still need a lot of energy to push that speeding object in the first place to near-c velocities... and only then could you take advantage of the 'beam' to reduce the energy costs for the other object 'hitched' in its wake.

Delance said:
To have a WC like universe, you'd neet to at least accelerate in a positive and negative way much faster than we can, maneuver in a way we can't even begin to figure out, and, most importantly, manage a way to make human pilots survive the g-force involved.
I wasn't really thinking about physics but having colonies and stuff on distant planets.

A raptor, definately a Raptor. I want a Raptor. Seriously, I WANT a RAPTOR.

Just a Raptor.

Nothing Else.

Maybe a Hornet as well.

Maybe...

Possibly a Rapier.

Possibly...

But never a scimitar.

Never.

End of discussion. No Scimitar ever. They suck. I would rather crash a Raptor then fly a Scimitar.

3:21 am - No Sleep. Typical.

Raptor_Pilot said:
A raptor, definately a Raptor. I want a Raptor. Seriously, I WANT a RAPTOR.

Just a Raptor.

Nothing Else.

Maybe a Hornet as well.

Maybe...

Possibly a Rapier.

Possibly...

But never a scimitar.

Never.

End of discussion. No Scimitar ever. They suck. I would rather crash a Raptor then fly a Scimitar.

3:21 am - No Sleep. Typical.

yeah scimitars suck.

I dont think light speed, even if you could go that fast, would be such a great way to get accross the galaxy.

I think something like the jump drive in WC or worm holes is realy the only way you could have a system where you could have the sci-fi type universe some of you are talking about

Edx said:
I dont think light speed, even if you could go that fast, would be such a great way to get accross the galaxy.

I think something like the jump drive in WC or worm holes is realy the only way you could have a system where you could have the sci-fi type universe some of you are talking about

Definitely. Even at light speed it would still take too long to get most places.

Back