Lefty's Forgotten Minority

Stormbird

Spaceman
or: And Now For Something Completely Different

I was just wondering how many of you flightjocks are lefthanded and use the flightstick lefthanded as well.

I also was wondering what the fuck got into Logitech and all the other corporations to make ergonomical mouses (mainly righthanded, but i DID spot a few lefthanded ones) and ergonomical trackballs with which you can do Jack Shit when you're lefthanded! Has anyone of you EVER seen a lefthanded thumb-control trackball??? I've heard 20% of the world population is left-handed... Logitech c.s. must reason that that's about the percentage that doesn't use a computer, I guess.

Me, I'm lucky to be ambidexter, but i fly lefthanded

hum are you sure your flying lefthanded, it's a little odd which hand gets assigned what tasks. I'm left handed as such I hate the right handed mice out there, some are ok but some are downright unusable to us lefties. Despite being very much left handed I usually find the joystick goes in my right hand as such the joystick might not really be one of those things your primary hand uses, as such I'd say the joystick might be neutral.

Lol last time I checked I was still flying lefthanded, Dekkar, but I've seen the confused looks on other player's faces as I set up my equipment... made me wonder
But as I already said, I'm ambidexter. The reason I mainly write righthanded is the blotting. Digipen is lefthanded again, mouse too, unless i'm playing a joystick game. In most WC games I use mouse, keyboard and joystick in all possible combinations (and still i get shot to pieces)

Danm that's unfair :p you left handed guys can just about always do stuff with your right hands, yet us right handed guys are complete unco's when it comes to using our right hands :)

Yeah, it sucks that us lefties are "discriminated" against, but you get used to the right-handed joysticks, mice, scissors, firearms, whatever have you. It becomes second nature.

Most of the time.

I was at a Air Show last week. I was able to sit in the cockpit of a C17. The pilot left side had a left handed joystick and the right side had a right handed one. They also were just like the old Thrustmaster sticks. They are just as small as the Thrustmaster sticks. I mention this to the pilot and he agree that they are too small.

Stormbird if you use your left hand for the joystick do you put the joystick to the left of the keyboard? I've always had the joystick in front of the middle of the keyboard, but if you were to use that setup lefthanded your hands would be crossed when applying afterburn in wc games.

Huh, speaking of this anyone ever notice the dpad of videogame controllers always seems to be on the left hand side, yet neither right handed or left handed people ever seem to have a problem with it, I wonder what it is about those things :confused: ?

I remember a hand held gaming device like the gameboy (I think it was sega), that had the screen in the center, and dpad on the left side of it, buttons on the right side. You could flip the display with a button and operate it upside down if you're lefthanded.

It wasn't NeoGeo, and the other I have never heard of. I do believe it was by Sega. Come to think of it, doesn't the Gameboy Advance look a lot like that thing?

Originally posted by akashra
us right handed guys are complete unco's when it comes to using our right hands :)

Usually I'm not sifting words, but I just liked what you said, Akashra.

And yes, Dekkar, thrustmaster set to the left of the keyboard, mouse to the right. Although I usually use the keyboard afterburner, button A on it also ignites afterburners (double-click and hold)

One day I'd love to see a VoiceCommand Pack developed for these games

Stormbird, you mean hardware wise... like... GameVoice.

Absolutely awesome products both for multiplayer communication/gaming, and just as general purpose.

GameVoice includes a command utility that allows you to voice activate stuff. It's great, really.

Originally posted by Dekkar
Stormbird if you use your left hand for the joystick do you put the joystick to the left of the keyboard? I've always had the joystick in front of the middle of the keyboard, but if you were to use that setup lefthanded your hands would be crossed when applying afterburn in wc games.

Huh, speaking of this anyone ever notice the dpad of videogame controllers always seems to be on the left hand side, yet neither right handed or left handed people ever seem to have a problem with it, I wonder what it is about those things :confused: ?

I´m a leftie too !!
I use an old 2-button Quickshoot,, left to the Keyboard, and i use the mouse with the left too.

No unfortunately, only used it when playing Tribes 2. Which was %@%KJ@%H!@KJ% awesome!!!

But it's quite good for general use, since it allows a number of channels and voice commands via it.

Ghost, 2 button quickshot... reminds me of those REALLY old black joysticks, small, straight stick, one red button on the top, and MAYBE another button on the base :D

Originally posted by akashra
Stormbird, you mean hardware wise... like... GameVoice.

Absolutely awesome products both for multiplayer communication/gaming, and just as general purpose.

GameVoice includes a command utility that allows you to voice activate stuff. It's great, really.

Anyone care to tell us how well "Game Commander 2" works in WC games (if anyone has tried it)?... I'm thinking of getting it once I can find it for the right price [Read: Cheap or FREE] Thx. :)

Back