Landing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essex

Spaceman
On the Concordia and other carriers, do the fighters land in the same bay that they take off from, or is there another landing zone somewhere else.

No its just the same one.

But maybe you can choose out of 2 bays on the Midway class carrier, but I am not sure.

Zim

Check out WC3 & 4, you can fly through the bay from either side. If you wanted to, you could start a mission, turn around and fly out the rear of the carrier.

Not sure, but the Midway had the launchers section separate to the main hanger and landing bays.

Well actually aboard the Tigers Claw you took off from one of the tubes in the "wings" and then landed in the center line

All carriers have specific launching catapults (well... except for Intrepid:)). Tiger's Claw had seperate landing bays (for the most part)... Concordia didn't.

That always confused me! In WC3 & 4, you could sit there and not launch and the books always talked about catapults. I was very disoriented with that, and with the whole "tubes" idea with carriers. The Lexington had one main bay in the game but the book said it had a starboard and port side tubes. Explain! :(

The Midway definatly has seperate landing and lauch pads. Have you ever noticed the speed at which you leave those tubes? It can get upwards of 2500 clicks! Imagine that kind of speed in combat. . .
It could get quite deadly.

Finefinefine...

The carriers in WC3 and 4 have catapults... (the Victory has one, the 'Lex has two). You can fly around inside the bays because the engine designers were fly-around-inside-stuff crazy... but when you autopilot out of the ship, that's you being catapulted into space.

The reference to two bays in the Concordia class ships is that there are two repair/arming/etc bays, one on each side of the ship (to support each catapult). THus, the Black Lance stuff was housed in one bay on 'Lex, and the regular wing in the other.

Originally posted by Iota
The Midway definatly has seperate landing and lauch pads. Have you ever noticed the speed at which you leave those tubes? It can get upwards of 2500 clicks! Imagine that kind of speed in combat. . .
It could get quite deadly.

For whom, though? Your manuever ability would be quite limited at those speeds, a la Wasp on booster.

Best, Raptor

Wasps with booters kick arse! Does anyone know if the Wasp becomes more manoeuverable and faster when the booster pack is dropped?

Yes, it does. Well, not faster (obviously :)), but much more manoeuvrable, and gives it a better acceleration. The booster significantly alters the Wasp's flight characteristics. The same for the Squid's booster system.
The latter, BTW, is a lot of fun to experiment with. Add it to a ship which already has afterburners, and you get a hell of a ship. Or boost its acceleration by a lot, and its speed to 10,000, and ram a capship. It'll be a long time before you stop flying backwards :D.

That's right, Redwolf -- a Wasp without a booster accelerates better and has better Y/P/R ratings...

I guess my idea with that speed is more of an afterburner thing. If you could just light it up with your vapmire then slow down to a sensible speed.

I was actually referring to improved acceleration but I got my terms wrong...

GRRRRR I still have bad memories of using derivatives...you know, about acceleration, velocity and displacement...

Sounds like grade 12 physics to me! I'll stay back a good distance from all that. I just think that some stupid-fast speed would be cool.

Originally posted by redwolf
GRRRRR I still have bad memories of using derivatives...you know, about acceleration, velocity and displacement...
I have a Calculus final exam on Thursday... based on derivatives... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back