Landing on Carriers and other suggestions

• Thread starter ColonleFireball
  • Start date
C

ColonleFireball

Hi!

What I missed a bot in Privateer was landing on a carrier. O.k. as a Privateer you have not really a business with the confederation, but maybe there can be some "special missions" where you must deliver something on a carrier.
Maybe some of you know the Anime "Last Exile". Then you will know better what I mean.
If you land on a Carrier could also be good if you cna see a bit more thhen just the Hangar. Can be good to see the bridge or the officers-launge. (to meet your contact, the captain,...)

At the end of the campaign of Privateer you had business with the confederation. So that is not sooo strange idea, isn't it ? ;)

Nice Idea could be that you can have a "appartment" on a station or planet.
Can be nice Idea having a "real home" on you favourite planet/station. So you have a place where you can go after a mission.
Imagine: Looking out of you appartments window when the sun is going down. you see a city (bladerunner-like).
...Or maybe the same by rain. :D

I also suggest not to have Retros and Stelteks in the game. Both made no real sense for the Wing Commander Universe.
O.k. the Stelteks had been important for Privateer, but only at the end of the Story. But in Wing Commander 3, 4 or 5 where they could reappear, they didn't.
Also the Retros didn't appear.
And please no weird Idea taking in the " The Pilgrims" oft he Movie. Th Pilgrims was just a solution to make Blair something special. It would be difficult to say: " Well he is the Hero because he is the player charakter."
There is no "Player charakter" in a movie! Hope you understand what I mean. :)

It would be also good if you have a kind of "own hangar". In Privateer it was alsways hard to buy a new ship after you tarsus, because you you couldn't buy it back. It was unique. :(
So if you have you own hangar you could have different type of ships/fighters with different setups.

So that are my ideas. Hope you can use some of them.

Those ideas are really interesting. Especially the one with one's own home. Landing on capital ships constructed with hangar - carriers - is also a nice idea.

I also like the idea of having a home on some base or planet. Somehow it reminds me of SW Alliance where you got your room that gets filled over the time with more and more stuff from your journeys.
I mean what about a nice little room with some Kilrathi artefacts ^_^

About working with the military...well I guess that some spacedocks or carriers could allways need someone that can bring them some needed spareparts that are to small to use a freighter for it but to big for a shuttle so that the gasp could be filled by the bigger Privateer ships. Also some personal transports or smuggling a bottle of wine onboard might be fun.

Maybe you could take out a loan to buy your house and as you pay it off, you can get get larger rooms, a second floor, attic, basement, etc. And as you go around, you can find different furniture and wallpaper and stuff. Maybe there could be some sort of housing review board that grades your house and gives you money according to how stylish it is.

ChrisReid said:
Maybe you could take out a loan to buy your house and as you pay it off, you can get get larger rooms, a second floor, attic, basement, etc. And as you go around, you can find different furniture and wallpaper and stuff. Maybe there could be some sort of housing review board that grades your house and gives you money according to how stylish it is.

Believe it or not, such gimmicks DO exist in games. Take Smackdown vs Raw 2006 for example. As you progress in the wrestling game you gain money to put neat stuff into your locker room. Which has not in game value at all, just looks cool.

That reminds me of a commercial...a little bit changed it could be "My house, my ship, the headhunter that is chasing me"
And we need a screenshot function for that room so you could show it around ^_^

gevatter Lars said:
That reminds me of a commercial...a little bit changed it could be "My house, my ship, the headhunter that is chasing me"
And we need a screenshot function for that room so you could show it around ^_^
Yep, especially if there are some several dozens of different items, that can be put into this flat, which are spread in the game - sometimes very difficult to obtain (ie hard mission, mission given on a space station which is very hard to spot an so on).

Yes, this feature would definitely support realism of and immersion into the game.

Nice to hear that my Ideas reached some of you the good way. :)

Nor let us hope thta our dear developers of WC-Pioneer think the same. :D

@ cff: I have Sdvs.raw2006 and I must say that "Locker Room-Feature" gives a personal-touch, evene if the room itself doesn't offer any features that couldn't be included to the regulary options.

@ Will Styles: *~~~* Wing Commander: Feng Shui :D

Well, if the "housing-feature" would make ist into the game I really don't care what you can do there. So the devs. could give us a surprise. ;)

About my Idea ofthe Hangar: As I know it isp planed that you can hire Wingmans, so it would make sense to "borrow" them some of your fighters for the mission.
Let's say the Wing Man would bring in a Talan (or something even worsed) to the mission and you have some stuff like a Rapier, a Excalibur or even a Dragon. So it would benefit the Mission if your Wingman has some nice extras and not his trash of a ship. Of course there is the risk that the Ship can be destroyed if the WIngman is a morron or he just had badlick in combat.
You can take "Star Wolves" as example, also if it is a Strategy-game.

While the loaned ship idea isn't a bad one in general, Brad has said repeatedly that the player will not have access to military ships as a flyable option.

(Reading through my other posts would suggest that I think this decision regarding military ships is a good one. It would be an accurate suggestion, too. That, however, is a subject for another thread, and possibly another forum entirely. Pioneer's head[?] designer said "no", so that's the final decision, as Pio isn't a "choose your own reality" game.)

Death said:
While the loaned ship idea isn't a bad one in general, Brad has said repeatedly that the player will not have access to military ships as a flyable option.

(Reading through my other posts would suggest that I think this decision regarding military ships is a good one. It would be an accurate suggestion, too. That, however, is a subject for another thread, and possibly another forum entirely. Pioneer's head[?] designer said "no", so that's the final decision, as Pio isn't a "choose your own reality" game.)

No, no, it was just an example. Instead of Excalibur, Rapier, Dragon, watevery, you cna take whatever you like.
It was my intention to make clear waht the idea to "outfit your wingman" is about.
Giving him a better ship/fighter if his "default" one isn't good enough.

cff said:
Believe it or not, such gimmicks DO exist in games. Take Smackdown vs Raw 2006 for example. As you progress in the wrestling game you gain money to put neat stuff into your locker room. Which has not in game value at all, just looks cool.

I was specifically describing exactly what you do in Animal Crossing, which we've been playing in #Wingnut for the last couple months. I know lots of games do stuff like that. Lots of sports games, and also stuff like Mario Party.

The "locker room" thing does have sort of a precedent in the locker in WC1 where you could go to view your dress uniform with all of your awards shown. In Pioneer you might have trophies of some sort for completing campaign milestones and for completing the various side subplots.

Eh, I can go either way for XWA. It was a prettier version of X-Wing, which was fine... but it *should* have been Star Wars: Privateer.

In this case, though, I'm talking about the 'collect space garbage for winning missions' -- and that was exceptionally silly. You had so much pointless space crap in your room by the end of XWA...

Civilization 2 had something like that too, the Throne Room. As you progressed through the game your subjects would build stuff for ya (like a throne, better and more expensive floors and walls, and other stuff that made it look pretty good. It was pretty cool being on a golden Throne surrounded by gold and silk in the modern age :).

maybe for this game you could by a flight simulator and have it in your room . Maybe another smaller game, like chess or something like that.

Call me old fashion but I think there are only 3 main things that matter at the end of a game like privateer/Pioneer, money, ship upgrades and kill totals. I'm all for easter eggs though but if you're a privateer wouldn't you live on your ship? Wouldn't that be the best prize/reward for taking hard missions?

[EDIT] Oh yeah and don't take out the retros, that part was the most fun. Killing em right when they are half way into their "Repent sin....#@$@#" :D Guess it wouldn't matter but you need some cannon fodder for every game, a party you can kill without pissing others off, so you can gain cash and not have to deal with confed/pirates during the plot missions unless they're part of the script.

BTW: Hold on a minute? Retros aren't important to privateers plot? What about the addon, it as all about the retros.[/EDIT}

Well. I just hope that "houisng" doesn't end up in a poor locker room where you just see you game-records. :D
My Idea is making you favourite Planet/Station your home and having a nice view on a "bladerunner-lik styled" city. Something like that. :)

ABout Having Retros as Cannonfodder: Well, I think some Pirates can do the same "job" :D
It would mnake more snese if there are also Kilrathi-Pirates.
And you can have Variations,... from the smuggler to the deadly pirate.

The Retros are not good and imprtant enough, not even to be cannonfodder.

For Privateer itself Retros are OF COURSE important. Would have been stupid from Origin to take something in that makes no sense. But in the "Basic"-Privateer and the rest of the whole WIng Commander Universe Retros have been important like spots on you a**.:D

ANd by the way,.. it is ALWAYS so if you make friends and enemies, that others are not "happy" with your decisions so you may have more friends or/and enemies that way.
And only to shoot down the Retros as a tactic not to piss off other fractions, is a coward-tactic. ;) (sorry)

Back