Lamest WC question ever?

Originally posted by junior

Actually, there wouldn't be anything surprising about that one. Romulans and Vulcans are the same basic species. In fact, there was an entire two-part episode of TNG based around this premise (the one with Spock).

Yeah, I know....but Vulcans and Romulans are quite different, ref TNG "The Enemy"...Dr. Crusher assumed working on a Romulan would be the same as working on a Vulcan, but she was quite mistaken and was unable to save the Romulan...

The general theory behind the differences between Romulans and Vulcans is that as the Romulans were searching for a world, we know they stopped on a few others. They probably picked up a few generations of cross-breeds with the natives.

Can't happen, leastways not by conventional (natural biological) reproduction. It has to be some fraction evenly divisible by 2, since only 2 parents are involved in producing offspring the "old" (read: FUN!) way...

3/4, 5/8, etc. MAYBE, but not "2/3's" human... Even though this is fiction, certain tenets must be adhered to, unless some plausible reason exists why NOT to:

Now, if the "other" race was some anomalous species that requires 3 separate genetic (ahem) "contributions" to produce offspring, THEN maybe you're barking up the right tree; but AFAIK, Klingons reproduce the same way we do, so that's a non-starter, unless the critter was made in a lab somehow...

Ok...so maybe Tom and Beylanna's kid was something else...

I just guess 2/3 because Beylanna is half-Klingon, half-Human. Paris is human. Assuming Beylanna's lineage is pure klingon and pure human, and Paris' lineage is pure human, I just guess 2/3...(because the kid would obviously be more Human than Klingon)

i'm probably wrong...i'm not good with numbers

That would indeed be 1/4 Klingon, not 2/3. It's easiest to see if you take it back to the grandparents. There are a total of four grandparents. One is Klingon, three are human. Therefore 1/4 of the grandchild is Klingon.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

Yeah, I know....but Vulcans and Romulans are quite different, ref TNG "The Enemy"...Dr. Crusher assumed working on a Romulan would be the same as working on a Vulcan, but she was quite mistaken and was unable to save the Romulan...

And thus we see the hazards of allowing multiple writers free and easy access to the scripts of a series.
The plot of the Spock episode was that Vulcans and Romulans were going to be "reunited" (Spock thought peacefully, the Romulan government thought by force). That implies that they were one at a point in the past that was remembered in some form or another (be it legends or what have you). The idea that the internals of the Romulans would change while the externals would remain the same is about as silly and ludicrous as the idea that living in the dark on Remus makes you look like a vampire from a B movie.
Oh, wait...

And thus we see the hazards of allowing multiple writers free and easy access to the scripts of a series.
The plot of the Spock episode was that Vulcans and Romulans were going to be "reunited" (Spock thought peacefully, the Romulan government thought by force). That implies that they were one at a point in the past that was remembered in some form or another (be it legends or what have you). The idea that the internals of the Romulans would change while the externals would remain the same is about as silly and ludicrous as the idea that living in the dark on Remus makes you look like a vampire from a B movie.
Oh, wait...

Did you just like, not read the other part of my post?

That's TOTALLY explainable....we know from TNG "Gambit" that the Romulans settled on other planets before Romulus...they seem to have left a trail of artifacts...and while it is true that the Romulans WERE in fact Vulcans, over the 10,000 some odd years that they had been galavanting around the cosmos, it stands to reason that a few of the planets they landed on had natives...and it also stands to reason that the Romulans mated with some of these natives. The Romulans could have stayed on these planets literally hundreds of years before moving on, thus creating generations of Vulcan-native mixes. By the time they got to Romulus, these mixes had started to even out throughout the population, thus making the Romulans slightly different from the Vulcans...

oh...and the externals are NOT the same....Romulans TNG-on have a forehead ridge, Vulcans don't. They just both have pointy ears.

Even still, Vulcans and Romulans are VERY similiar. Crusher said there were minor differences in the blood or something like that.

I still say its all hogwash, and contrary to the original intent. The problem is that Star Trek is a show that allows too many people to write episodes, and provides too little content control over what's in those stories. Thus we end up with stupid ideas, such as the idea that a doctor that a ship's doctor that has received enough training to take care of a crew with a population as diverse as the average Federation starship is unable to work on a race that, at worst, has internals not quite the same as those of a Vulcan.
You do the math...

I still say its all hogwash, and contrary to the original intent. The problem is that Star Trek is a show that allows too many people to write episodes, and provides too little content control over what's in those stories. Thus we end up with stupid ideas, such as the idea that a doctor that a ship's doctor that has received enough training to take care of a crew with a population as diverse as the average Federation starship is unable to work on a race that, at worst, has internals not quite the same as those of a Vulcan.
You do the math...

I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was the Star Trek Forum. I was looking for the Wing Commander Chat Zone can you help me?;)

Originally posted by Excelsis

I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was the Star Trek Forum. I was looking for the Wing Commander Chat Zone can you help me?;)

Whatsa matter!!?? Never heard of topic drift?
:D

Happens around here quite a bit. If you want to talk about Wing Commander, then I suggest you hijack the thread from the hijackers.
:p

Whatsa matter!!?? Never heard of topic drift?
:D

Happens around here quite a bit. If you want to talk about Wing Commander, then I suggest you hijack the thread from the hijackers.
:p

In that case we should be talking about a Kilrathi mating with a Klingon... Or maybe a Breen... :rolleyes:

Thus we end up with stupid ideas, such as the idea that a doctor that a ship's doctor that has received enough training to take care of a crew with a population as diverse as the average Federation starship is unable to work on a race that, at worst, has internals not quite the same as those of a Vulcan.
You do the math...

Blah....it's not that big of a deal...hell Crusher COULD in fact had saved the Romulan had Worf volunteered his blood. It was close enough for her to at least know what she was doing, but she didn't have the materials to work with. It was even said that they checked the Vulcan's blood, but it didn't quite work out. The closest they could was Klingon blood, because it had an extra something they weren't able to replicate....

I see no problem with the math there....

Back