Lamest WC question ever?

I'd say no way in hell.
We're just too different. I don't think even species similar to human can, but I'm not going to try :D

No. Completely separate organisms *don't* cross-breed. Heck, 99% of the time really, really similar organisms don't cross-breed.

Originally posted by dacis2
I don't think there is any evidence at all but...

can Kilrathi and Humans cross-breed?

No, so Bye-Bye your intentions to have a child with your dog.

Well the scientific definition of species is that if they are separate species, then they can NOT cross-breed, or if they can, the offspring are deformed or at least sterile. For example, horses and donkeys are separate species. Cross-breeding them produces mules, which are with out exception sterile and unable to reproduce.

Why don't we try it out... release a GenSelect with a preset to cross Cats & Humans. Could be fun :p

Crossbreed. Hmm. My thoughts go to the popular sci-fi RTS StarCraft Brood War, where some unknown party was attempting to crossbreed Zerg and Protoss.

My question is...why?

No can do. Even chimps (who share 99% of the same genes with us) cannot cross breed--though it hasn't stopped some sick bastards from trying...

On the other hand, though, that 99% figure would explain quite a few of the politicians and administrative types we have on this planet, not to mention Jerry Springer and his ilk.

Then again, a genetic hybrid made in a lab would be theoretically possible-WAY in the future, not w/ today's technology.

Oh--and weaselly lawyers, etc., etc. ......

Good Lord, I could go on and on.... [insert own joke here]

Originally posted by Ijuin
Well the scientific definition of species is that if they are separate species, then they can NOT cross-breed, or if they can, the offspring are deformed or at least sterile. For example, horses and donkeys are separate species. Cross-breeding them produces mules, which are with out exception sterile and unable to reproduce.
Well actually the example you picked is a very strange one. Remember that when you cross a male horse with a female donkey you get a different 'animal' then when you cross a female horse with a male donkey. IIRC the second combination is actually _NOT_ sterile (or at least it sometimes is not sterile).
In German the first one is called "Muli", the second one "Maultier".

Sidenotes:
This is a proove BTW that inheritance is not only done by nuclear DNS, but also by mitochondrial (which you practicall only get from your mother). Also note that cloning only clones the nuclear DNS and not the mitochondrial - so no clone would be 100% even on DNS level...

i can't believe how this topic got so out of hand... i'm pretty sure the person who started this meant it more as a joke (at least I'm hoping so) however, seeing people spending time to debate this, it makes me wonder... how much free time to people have?

Originally posted by Millzy
...however, seeing people spending time to debate this, it makes me wonder... how much free time to people have?

...same could be said of oh so many other CZ threads/posts...

Gives the saying "She's a real Hellcat" a whole new meaning!

That would be a helluva ride!

Originally posted by di5tortion
Crossbreed. Hmm. My thoughts go to the popular sci-fi RTS StarCraft Brood War, where some unknown party was attempting to crossbreed Zerg and Protoss.

My question is...why?

It has to do with the fluff background to the game. The Xel'Naga thought that the Protoss had the greatest minds that they had created in any species they had tampered with. They also thought that the Zerg were the closest they had managed to come to a physically perfect species (due to the species ability to modify and/or duplicate the abilities of other species in fairly short order). Remember that the goal of the Zerg Overmind in the first game was to incorporate the Protoss race into the Zerg race - the Terrans were just incidental.
The "unknown party" in the unlisted Brood War mission is probably connected somehow with either the supposedly extinct Xel'Naga, or the Overmind.

With regards to cross-breeding and sterility - funny you should mention mules. Its common knowledge that they don't reproduce, but I remember that actually happening about a decade ago...

Ask Blair!:D

I dont remember if he actually did it with a Kilrathi... But he was offered the chance in WC4 (novel)

Back