ladies and fighters...

Ambassador

Spaceman
troopers and fighters...

Hi, everybody!

Have a little Question about the Ulysses Base.
First the facts:
1. Ulysses Base was HQ of Vega fleet, right?
2. There were whole Carrier groups and Task Forces?
3. If only one Operator leaves his seat, the whole base is blind??

It´s hard to believe, that there were no long range patrols and perimeter defenses.
Yours,
Mike

1. Yes, Pegasus was the HQ of Vega Sector.
2. Yeah, pretty much the whole darn Vega Sector Fleet was docked there.
3. We argue over whether there was only one operator or if Confed was that dumb.

Maybe the Confed was that dumb, but their computers won´t.
They had to be alarmed since the McAuliffe desaster.

Would a fully prepaired Vega Fleet have had the power to withstand the Kilrathi Task force?

How many capital ships did they use on this raid?

Pegasus was the home base for the Confederation's 4th Fleet.

The movie was horribly cut, though -- I highly reccomend that anyone read the novelization. The Kilrathi were able to breach Pegasus' defenses because Admiral Wilson was a traitor.

Edit: The Kilrathi fleet which attacked Pegasus was forty capital ships.

Man, you'd think they would have had some of their fleet out, didn't they learn anything with the 80 ships of the 7th Fleet at McAulfille? And yes, as President Blucher of the Landreich put it, "They don't even qualify for the status of idiot." I believe, Confed IS that dumb.

I don't think you're following... the thread... at all.

The base was destroyed because a human traitor allowed the Kilrathi to get close undetected.

Furthermore, there wasn't a huge fleet there -- it's the *HQ* for the 4th fleet... the majority of which was spread across the Vega Sector.

I am....I did read the Wing Commander Movie Novel, and the traitor plot was supposed to be in the movie, but they couldn't afford. Ok, ok, but besides having a traitor, I think it would be damn hard for 40 Cap ships to get by, and even though they were detected, didn't a few captial ships undock before the attack, so couldn't they have done something?

I'm sure Pegasus' defensive perimeter did end up coming back and inflicting some damage on the Kilrathi fleet... but it was certainly too late to save the base itself. The Kilrathi had already skipped past the layers and layers that made up Confed's defensive perimeter in Vega -- what Confed was relying on to defend HQ bases like Pegasus.

Since the Kilrathi fleet then preceeded directly for Earth, there was no possible way for Confed's front line forces to regroup and catch them in time. If the Kilrathi had *just* been trying to destroy Pegasus and escape, the fleet would have been caught on the way out... but as it was, they were heading deeper and deeper into less and less defended territory.

Yeah, well if I were the leader of the Confed, I would have a few carriers and destroyers and the such patroling the area, but they probably posted all of them on the front lines.

IIRC, there's a reference to a destroyer screen around Pegasus at some point -- but it's certainly not enough to deal with forty Kilrathi capital ships which already have the advantage.

(As for carriers -- you'd certainly only have a *few*... fleet carriers were few and far between during the war.)

But you can't expect a couple of destroyers to stop 40 Cat ships, but then again, wouldn't the destroyer's death's given some warning to Pegasus?

Or, was this just the movie, so logic has no place?

Is there a list somewhere of all the notable battles that occurred during the war? I mean, I know that a picket patrol might have a scrap with a Kilrathi corvette every once in a while, but I mean battles where both sides geared up and pushed into a single engagement, or big, broad melee. Not limited to engagements so large as the BOT, but other, more moderate battles, like the one over Vukar Tag.

That's not a bad idea, like in history books you may have a map of Europe with a little explosion graphic where a major/important battle took place. Neat idea for LOAFs online WCU map, its not like he has anything else to do ;)

C-ya

Expendable said:
But you can't expect a couple of destroyers to stop 40 Cat ships, but then again, wouldn't the destroyer's death's given some warning to Pegasus?
Only if they occured. Remember, the commander of Pegasus is a traitor. He presumably decides which sectors are assigned for patrol to which destroyers, in which case it becomes a fairly simple matter for him to ensure that there's a destroyer-free sector for the Kilrathi to come through.

Back