Kroiz's faction

JKeefe

Spaceman
First Riordian is confed, now Kroiz is a HUNTER. Now I have Demons chasing me across the galaxy, darting to and fro and every which way.

So, here's who's mad at me and why:
Confed - Riordian's death
Hunter - Kroiz's death
Pirates - one of the campign characters is a pirate (Seelig?)
Retros - crazy b@st@rds
Kilrathi - attempts to repair confed relations

Now, the pirates are going to be mad at me anyway after the Oxford missions, so there's no real beef there, but the confed and Hunter situation seems unfair. I know that Riordian belongs to the pirate faction in the latest code, but the more I think about it, that hardly seems fair, either. Riordian and Kroiz both specifically refer to themselves as privateers - why not make a separate faction of characters that are scripted to attack Burrows, and not destroy relations with other factions?

we will do that...but we're considering delaying a change so massive until after the 1.0 release--
it probably wouldnt' be that bad...but we're not sure about the little consequences

you could try gettnig mamiya to try it now

hellcatv said:
we will do that...but we're considering delaying a change so massive until after the 1.0 release--
it probably wouldnt' be that bad...but we're not sure about the little consequences

you could try gettnig mamiya to try it now

Personally, you could leave them in Privateer. Nothing wrong with a little self image problem. =) So you hate yourself. Most heros in the sppace movies hated themselves for one reason or another.

As for trying it now, why not? Other than massive code changes. But then we LOVE the coders, don't we?

THanks for the hours of fun, guys.

Other than I notice a bit of Kilrathi faction slip when you kill them, about one to three points per, Kill retros. ALMOST everyone hates them. GO on a retro hunt for faction repairs.

Though it DOES seem to be a REAL hunt to find them. What happened? THey used to be around every corner?

Wendy said:
Personally, you could leave them in Privateer. Nothing wrong with a little self image problem. =) So you hate yourself.
This would only work if you are cool with the wingmen you hire attacking you. Unless that was fixed as part of the 'civil war' patching.

Still not sure if this will be before or after 1.0, but if I do a Kroiz faction to get his face and comms, what are his cronies? THey couldn't all be Kroiz too.. Do I make a one-off faction for each of the major players, and another hates-the-player faction for their wingmen?

I think I'll start experimenting with it.. after school gets going again who knows if I'll ever have time.

Hrm. . .Good point. No rush from me, I've learned how to correct the faction issues with just a few kills and some minor key presses.

Well here goes nothing. All the plot NPCs are being added as seperate factions with their voices. Being in their own faction lets us tweak the conversation xml too, so we might be able to get the initial conversation to work correctly, ie they say something and wait for a response.

This could take a while. Hello delay.

I caused a software delay? Little old me?

Sorry 'bout that. But thanks for taking the time to get things right.

MamiyaOtaru said:
an indefinate one. Especially once school starts up.

It's not so bad. I had been planning to do it.. though after 1.0
Ooh. . .
Well, good luck at school

Now, we'll start with the laundry list from the top.

I had to start over again since you went to all the trouble.

Just got Poppy's ship, arrived at Achiles for the first time and. . .guess what?
Riordian, Pirates, Militia and Retros all hate me equally.
-100 for all of them.
landreich -5
unknown -40
everyone else is neutral.

As I said, laundry list starts now.

Confeds attacking Militia
Confed Broadswords shooting at NOTHING. Just wandering around shooting up the sky.

Confeds attacking me when I have a positive rating with them for having shot down a militia ship or two.

Pirates shooting at me as well.

Hey if they're gonna call me Pirate I should get some good relations from teh pirates, right?

(note to the forum: this advice only goes to Wendy, who's using the unstable version of the game...people who downloaded 0.9 will not experience the following)
ya...the code for reading in factions didn't expect new ones to get added...
this in effect corrupted your savegame... (between 0.9 and 1.0)
I have a fix, but I didn't build a windows version yet--so you can't benefit from it...and the corruption is more or less permanent once you load a savegame...
sucks, eh?
at least once we release 1.0 that won't happen to other users...just to early birds like yourself :)
the best way to fix it is to edit your savegame and remove the lines starting at and after factions begin (should be the very last thing after a table of numbers.

Sorry bout that.. I'll have a fixed binary soon...set some of your savegames aside for when I upload a new vegastrike.exe

hellcatv said:
(note to the forum: this advice only goes to Wendy, who's using the unstable version of the game...people who downloaded 0.9 will not experience the following)
ya...the code for reading in factions didn't expect new ones to get added...
this in effect corrupted your savegame... (between 0.9 and 1.0)
I have a fix, but I didn't build a windows version yet--so you can't benefit from it...and the corruption is more or less permanent once you load a savegame...
sucks, eh?
at least once we release 1.0 that won't happen to other users...just to early birds like yourself :)
the best way to fix it is to edit your savegame and remove the lines starting at and after factions begin (should be the very last thing after a table of numbers.

Sorry bout that.. I'll have a fixed binary soon...set some of your savegames aside for when I upload a new vegastrike.exe

Well, they say the early bird catches the worm. What they didn't tell you is, that the worm is a spitting cobra.

Unstable?
Fitting, goes with the unstable video card. If the new box wasn't going to be a Linux box, I'd have swapped it out by now.

At least I started anew and not old. I DO have a savegame or 20 I can import at my leisure, but they're all beyond where the testing needs to come. All are at least at Oxford.

By the by, the new machine is built, but has to be torn down. It's shorting out somewhere. Can't get it to fire up. Just a brief flicker of light and a momentary twirl of fan. The new case is such a tight fit for the mobo, it wouldn't surprise me to find that one of the main-board layers is shorting out from an edge touch somewhere.

Are case viri catching?

<sigh>

It's either hack at a file or hack at a case. . .

I think I'll take the case. At least there I can swing a hammer at it and get some actual satisfaction.

I DO have two versions of 98, which do you want run? SE or first edition? Linux/DOS/3.11 are given.

Grr. . .no dice. It's either a bum P/S, MoBo, proc, or RAM. I can't point at any one component, as they're all new.

No spinup from the P/S and I don't have a strong enough P/S to swap out. It's a 300 and the only other working ATX P/S I have is a 150.

Linux box will be on an Athlon 233-MMX with a Diamond Monster II. I'm not about to hack this one. It's the only real computer I have these days. Looks like I get a new video card in this one. I wonder if this one will support 333 DDR RAM? I MIGHT try the hotter CPU in it as well. It will help isolate the issue. ANywho, off to install the video card and play the game. I could do up a set of boot drives for a test and play cable swap, but that remains to be seen.

I'll think on it for a while. Now on to "better" video for now. Watch it have been a bad Vic Card that fried the MoBO

It would be nice to have a subforum or something for people running the development version. Problems encountered therein will not be seen by the public, it would be nice if they didn't have to be discussed in public.

Not that there's anything to hide; it simply has nothing to do with the majority of players.

Wendy--you'd probably do us a deal more help if you tested on the released 009 version rather than the development versions...

we're pretty sure nothing major has changed---especially with dralthi
most of these errors are caused by some sort of bug in your svn updating procedure....

and sometimes we can only update code and not the corresponding binary

your saved games should work fine on the old version :)
and it shouldn't screw up your relationships...that way we can get consistent bug reports...we'll let you know when we have a stable pre1.0 version that needs testing

Back