Klicks

Mav23

Swabbie
Banned
what's a klick, it's used for measurement of distance in all the WC's and Dekker says something about walkind so many klicks with so many kilos or something like that... I just want to know how long a klick is... for a perception of how fast I'm flying.

its the metric mesurement system. a there are 1.6 kilometers in a mile. 1000meters in a kilometer and one cubed meter of water is supposed to weigh one kilogram.
helpful?

[Edited by $tormin on 04-29-2001 at 18:30]

so why do the HUDs display Klick? Shouldn't they dislplay the measurement in it's proper form? I can see pilots/marines using slang, but military computers?

"one cubed meter of water is supposed to weigh one kilogram."

That is so very very wrong :)

one cubic centimetre is 1 mililitre. There are 1000 mL in a Litre. 1000 cc is 10x10x10. A cubic metre is 100x100x100, or 1 000 000 cubic centimetres. 1 litre of water has a mass of 1 kg. A cubic metre of water is 1000 kgs. :)

TC

Originally posted by TC
"one cubed meter of water is supposed to weigh one kilogram."

That is so very very wrong :)

one cubic centimetre is 1 mililitre. There are 1000 mL in a Litre. 1000 cc is 10x10x10. A cubic metre is 100x100x100, or 1 000 000 cubic centimetres. 1 litre of water has a mass of 1 kg. A cubic metre of water is 1000 kgs. :)

TC

well i never had to weigh a m^3 of water.

so why do the HUDs display Klick? Shouldn't they dislplay the measurement in it's proper form? I can see pilots/marines using slang, but military computers?

When communicating on radios, it's important to be as quick and clear as possible. It would be really awkward to say "kilometers" when "klick" will suffice.

I believe that just to make sure people don't mis-hear numbers. Same reason why some say "Whisky Tango Foxtrot" instead of "WTF". :)

Originally posted by TC
well i never had to weigh a m^3 of water.

Nor have I... but I assume the mass of water is relatively constant :)

TC

The mass of water is 1,000 kg/litre at an temperature of 3,8 degrees Celsius (around 38 F I think)

When temperature increases, the mass of water pr. Litre decreases, as water is expanding. At 80 degrees celsius, one litre water weighs 0,97179 kg /litre

So it is relatively constant.

If anyone cares, the English phonetic alphabet is:
Alpha
Bravo
Charlie
Delta
Echo
Foxtrot
Golf
Hotel
India
Juliet
Kilo
Lima
Mike
November
Oscar
Papa
Quebec
Romeo
Sierra
Tango
Uniform
Victor
Whisky
X-Ray
Yankee
Zulu

We use 'em in place of the letters because B sounds a
lot like D, P, and V , for example. But Bravo,
Delta, Papa and Victor are different enough that they
won't be confused on a staticy radio channel.

And now y'know what Spyder was saying on the radio
in WCP:SO :).

Respectfully,

Brian P.

[Edited by pendell on 04-30-2001 at 10:48]

And if anyone else cares, here are the Greek ones...

Alpha
Beta
Gamma
Delta
Epsilon
Zeta
Eta
Theta
Iota
Kappa
Lambda
Mu