Kilrathi Saga-WC3 crashes on XP

U

Unregistered

Hey, I just completed WC1 and WC2 with the add-ons. All I can say is that they're really great!

I was hoping to conclude the Terran-Kilrathi war in WC3...unfortunately, I probably never will unless I get some assistance :(.

For the most part, the Kilrathi Sage version of WC3 starts up fine. The sound, music, and movies are in top notch shape. However, just as you start the game onboard the victory with Hobbes infront of u, the game crashes whenever u click on any interaction....whether it's to the elevator, the briefing room, hobbes, etc...the game will crash.

Crashes so badly that you can even do the old ctrl-alt-del trick or alt-tab. You grudgingly have to shut down ur computer and turn it back on to reboot.

I've tried everything on my XP from tweaking around with DxDiag and manipulating my graphics card. What can I do? :(

Have you tried all the various compatibility modes for the game (right-click on the game's icon, go to properties, and one of the tabs will let you enable/disable various Windows OS compatibility protocols)?

Yeah, I did try the compatability modes. First tried it on XP-mode, that obviously didn't work. Then tried it on Windows 95 and 98 mode. Still no luck :(.

funny that!

Here's what I wrote on the other thread - strange it didn't work!

---

Hi guys,
I've been reading these forums for a couple of days now (primarily to solve the WCP video problem, but that was unsuccessful ), but today I tried getting WC3 running. I have Windows XP and a Sound Blaster Audigy - two of the most important specs required for running a WC game, I think! - interestingly, WCIV is the only one that doesn't seem to have a problem at all running in WinXP. I find that strange, since WCP came out later, and WC3, well, earlier. Obviously.

Anyway. I've so far been unsuccessful in getting WCP working flawlessly, but in regards to WC3 - there's a very useful little program called VDMSound. It can be found here:

http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound/

Basically what it does, is it creates a dos-like environment for any given program to run in. Most importantly is that it emulates a sound blaster - old generations, like the Pro, the 16, etc, by creating a sort of interface with the driver.

Once you've installed it - you'll want to install the update, AND the launchpad - the launchpad provides a shell interface where you can graphically choose options, and stuff.

Once VDMSound is installed, create a batch file in your C:\WC3 directory that just contains the WC3.exe executable on the CDROM. Right click on that batchfile, and choose 'Run With VDMS' - the one with the music icon next to it. Be sure to set up the audio using the settings that the WC3 installed used - that is, the DMA, IRQ and other such settings. For me, the Soundblaster 16 stuttered, but the Soundblaster Pro worked almost perfectly.

Before I tried this, my movies stopped about one second in - I thought it had to do with the speed of my computer, so I tried the 'turbo' program, but that had little to no effect. It ended up being the sound, and once that was sorted out, WC3 runs (technically) perfectly.

VDMS also emulates joysticks, midi, adlib, dos environments, and such, so it'll run most old games. I haven't really tried it with much else.

Anyway, all the best! If you want to contact me - I might end up joining this forum, it's certainly interesting! - but you can find me on MSN at xylon14@hotmail.com, or email me direct at xylon@bigfoot.com.

Anyway, I hope that information helped... VDMS can be quite confusing at times, but well worth it!

-julian

---

did not work

Hello,

I'v got the same problem with Wc3 and i've read your solution. However it dit not work for me. Can you or anyone els give me some more tips on what i can do?

When I tried that solution, my VDMS kept telling me it had not enough Files, asking me to set files to 25 at least, although the VDMS Config.sys already had a line Files=40.

I wonder you hadn't had this error. What did you exactly do in VDMS, how did you configure VDMS to start your batch file ? Please provide the specs so I can try to configure my envinronment likewise.

Gray

When I tried that solution, my VDMS kept telling me it had not enough Files, asking me to set files to 25 at least, although the VDMS Config.sys already had a line Files=40.

I wonder you hadn't had this error. What did you exactly do in VDMS, how did you configure VDMS to start your batch file ? Please provide the specs so I can try to configure my envinronment likewise.

Gray

I`m using VDM 2.1.0. The default settings are "enable ems" and "disable vesa". I`ve shanged it both and now it works.

hi!
i got a problem with wc3 . i always got crashed every game and it say that the memory could not be read. can any1 give me some tips plz . nothing happen when i play others games

What have you tried so far? We're going to tell you to go back and make sure you've tested the various compatibility modes on each exe first. After that you should try disabling advanced sound and video card features.

This is a little off-topic, but are Heart of the Tiger and the Kilrathi Saga the same? I only played HotT, so I have no clue.

This is a little off-topic, but are Heart of the Tiger and the Kilrathi Saga the same? I only played HotT, so I have no clue.

Kilrathi Saga includes both WC1 and 2 as well as 3 (heart of the tiger). They are all adapted to run in win 95 as well though this tends to be buggier that just running the dos versions in dosbox.

Back