Kilrathi Saga (WC3) "crash" on WinXP

K

Koop

Hi there,
I came across the following problem with WC3/Kilrathi Saga on WinXP today:
After finishing the second Tomayo mission, the first one with the Excalibur, and a little talk with Flash, WC3 sends me right back to my Windows Desktop upon trying to leave for Briefing level. Not one, but every time I tried it.

Does anyone know this problem and possibly how to fix it?

Thanks in advance....SK

Try talking to Flash, and then click on Main Terminal or the Simulator before you go to the briefing. When you exit the Terminal/Simulator, Flash will be gone and hopefully you will be able to go to the briefing trouble-free.

The problem is that I don't even make it to the main terminal or the Simulator:
After the conversation with Flash on the Flight Level I can't leave that screen for the Simulator Room without being shoved out of the game.

Thanks, though, I appreciate that.

Are there any scratches on the disc? Are you doing some of the other things such as running in Windows 95 compatibility mode?

The discs appear to be unscratched, I do not use the compatibility mode.

I still have the original version at home, the DOS CDs. Is there any way of fixing Kilrathi Saga with original files? Like using the DOS .tre-files with Kilrathi Saga?

You can just put the appropriate DOS discs in and launch the game. No editing is required. But you really should try the compatibility mode among the very first things.

Re-installed the game, used the DOS-CDs (German Version), didn't work, hangs when trying to talk to Hobbes or trying to use the main terminal.

Tried the KS-CDs again: don't work anymore, either.

Ah, yeah, and I used the win2k patch, but that didn't change anything.

Hmpf.

It's pretty strange that both the DOS and Kilrathi Saga versions would produce a similar error like that. That would seem to indicate the game has a critical conflict with some particular hardware you have. Sound card, then video card, are the primary suspects. Try running the game with the sound disabled in the installation menu. You can revisit the installer in the DOS version by executing "wc3 -i"

Ah, Chris, nevermind, I've got it to work.

Whenever KS crashes, I will use my Dos copy and it will work.
The problem I had with both versions not working was using the Win95 compatibility on the Win2k patched game. No compatibility, no problem.

Thanks anyway.

Back