Kilrathi Saga saga

bw_dave

Spaceman
Oh boy, you have got to read this poor guy's auction description ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1228750959

I didn't know weather to laugh or cry !

"Until a few minutes ago, the game was shrinkwrapped and unopened. A would-be bidder emailed me with a threat that he would sue me if he found out that the game had been opened and resealed"

Is this for real, or what? Sorry, it just seems rather a strange thing to actually do. I'd tell the bidder that as far as I knew it was new, and if he doubted it then don't bid!

By the way, I am not the "Dave" that he blames for this disaster at the end of the auction description :) US$375 = AU$750 = mortgage my car!!

That's nonsense... when collecting games, re-sealing is fine as long as you don't remove the contents -- it's commonly done.

And if the original auction poster is out there -- there's no way the bidder could have sued you, it was just some jackass being... a jackass.

here, here! Well said LOAF. It amazes me that someone would even claim to be going to sue over such an issue. At the risk of being flamed out of my trousers, dare I say ... only in America ? :)

Now, now, as webmaster of the CIC, I've been threatened with frivolous lawsuits from all over the world. :)

It would be very difficult to accept a description of something as old as KS to be brand new sealed. The odds are great in finding a perfectly factory sealed item. Maybe once in a great while. Sounds like the guy is looking for a free ride, at the bidders expense.

RFB

Actually, factory sealed computer games -- especially ones that didn't sell well -- are fairly common...

Ya but I meant that a game such as KS which is rare, it be hard to find one, or maybe not, a perfectly unopened item that was pulled from some stock room found under a pile. Maybe not so rare to occur, but I would be very cautious about the descriptions. I would have contacted the seller and requested more info before bidding. The old saying, "Let the buyer beware!"

RFB

All don't get all the hubbub, bub.

I got my copy of the Kilrathi Saga from Outpost.com, about a year and a half ago. It may or may not have been re-wrapped.

Still, the guy can't sue on ANY grounds.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Yes... but would you, in so doing, threaten to *sue* them?

I would say any, ANY internet based purchase, via ebay, or some other online merchant, you take a chance. Many online companies went under due to shipping problems, customer complaints, return problems etc. Stuff on ebay is mostly individuals posting items. If your fixin to pay over 100 bucks for something off ebay or any other bid site, I would do some heavy research first! If the seller does not deliver what was posted on the auction description, you can always leave negative feedback. Some sites dont have that feature, but then you can email or write to the site in question and inquery about the individual selling stuff without all the accessories as promised in the add. I of course wouldnt cry over a few bucks here and there, but when you start getting into the few hundreds of dollars, you have to be extremely carefull. But no, I wouldnt go as far as raising a lawsuit. It would end up costing you more for attorneys fees and court costs than what the item in question cost. The courts will not award you anything more than what you paid or will award you a refund and the items returned to the seller. They wont award you a million bucks just cause some booklet was left out of a game! Question to ask yourself is, is the book worth the cost and pain going thru a lawsuit, and all the mumbo jumbo that goes with it?

RFB

Exactly. I mean, while false advertising is an offence, it's just pointless to sue somebody over something like that.

But speaking of false advertising, I must say I was rather annoyed to find that the WC Movie DVD did not contain a French soundtrack, in spite of what the back of the box said. Irritating - I was hoping to use it as a learning aid :(.

Back