Kilrathi Saga - Pilot Transfer Problem from SM2 to WC2

Fearless

Spaceman
I run Kilrathi Saga on XP and can't transfer my pilot files from WC1/SM2 to WC2. After finishing WC1, SM1+2, I started WC2, chose "New Game" and "transfer existing profile".
If I choose the option "from Wing Commander" I get "no valid character found" - although there is a savegame.wld in the WC1 directory.
Maybe it's because I installed the game in the non-default directory C:\WCsaga\WCKS.

"Import from DOS version" also doesn't work. The file formats seem to be different. Importing one of my old saves from a DOS-machine works fine, but I don't have a complete WC1/SM1/SM2 file there.

Is there something I have missed? Can a saga save file be modified to look like a DOS save file?

Please help. I don't want to lose my couple of hundred kills :)

I circumvented the problem. Since only the numbers of missions and kills are transfered, I added those to a new save file via hex editor.

One error remains: On exiting WC2 I get a windows error in wc2.exe. Compatibility mode doesn't help and makes the sound choppy, too.

There have been quite a few people with that problem. Some have suggested installing in the default directory helps, but it might be one of the new bugs KS introduces. Fortunately it's not too difficult to edit in the appropriate values.

I wouldn't worry about an error that occurs only as I exit.

Back