Kilrathi Saga: no music on XP

Darksaber

Spaceman
I'm hoping someone can help with my problem. When I try to play any of the Kilrathi saga games on XP, I do not have any music. I have sound effects (guns, speech), but no music. Any WC fan will tell you the music is half the game.

Now when I try to run the KS games on a win98 laptop I have, I get music, but WC2 will not run.

Both problems aside, I'd rather not try to mess around with getting things working on the laptop as it has other problems and should be destined for the trash.

Soundcard is a Chaintech AV-710 (via envy chipset). I have also tried a c-media 8738 based sound card and the via codec built onto the motherboard with the same results as above.

Thanks for your time!

Is it possible that your CDs are damaged in some way? Other than that, the only time we've heard of problems with the music in KS is with illegal downloads of the game. All of them have had music stripped from the download.

Cpl Hades said:
Is it possible that your CDs are damaged in some way? Other than that, the only time we've heard of problems with the music in KS is with illegal downloads of the game. All of them have had music stripped from the download.

No and no. I do get music on my win98 laptop, except WC2 will not load. Both WC1 and WC2 load on XP, but I get no music.

I appreciate your time, though. Maybe this just means I need to slap together a classic gaming PC...

Those sound like a pretty funky sound chips. They might just not be compatibile with the WC games. Back in the day, you couldn't just count on everything to work so long as Windows recognized it. Are you running in compatibility mode and all the other usual things people need to do to get KS running smoothly?

I have enabled compatibility for WC1. I am leaving compatibility off for WC2 because the game seems to play better without it (although it hasn't made a difference either way as far as music).

Honestly I have half wondered if it is the sound cards themself or the drivers. What I really need is a Pentium 2-266 with a good old Sound Blaster 16.

Compatibility mode eliminates a few core conflicts between the OS and game, but it doesn't automatically make obscure hardware compatible with older games. It could be either the cards or the drivers, but I would not be surprised if they ended up being incompatible either way. It sounds like there are also a number of control panel settings you can try adjusting yet too. KS is one of the games sensitive to duplex options and directx acceleration.

Certain "abandonware" version has a special exe, bat or something (i can't remember) which you need to execute to decompress the music files.

Back